Samson Ryan | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Samson Ryan

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
I can see a world in which Balta is dropped for Ryan.

Adelaide isn't particularly tall up front ... at a guess, Himmelberg is their tallest. Then there's Walker and Fogerty. A combo of Grimes, Miller, Vlastuin and Broad handles that lot. Ryan comes in and takes the relief rucking duties while Miller sticks to Himmelberg.

The second part of this equation is what the forward line looks like. Riewoldt was clearly playing higher up the field at times, so there is ample space in the F50 for Ryan with Lynch. Doedee, Butts and Dawson will be their defensive pillars and I like our chances if we play tall against them.
Not while tarrant is out , and I still couldnt see it , no way miller plays ahead of him . I think we see a better Balta when he’s freed up with taz locking down on the big dog

Reactions: 1 users

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
Samson doesn't have to dominate. Just his presence up forward means he or Jack get the #3 back, and makes it hard for teams to double-team Lynch. Take the weekend. May was on Lynch, Petty on Jack and Lever likes to play on no one, so his nominal opponent was Cumbo. And Gawn was dropping back and taking Lynch at times to free up May.

Now add Samson to the mix. Who takes him? Petty? Does that mean Lever has to play on Jack? Or one of Gawn and Grundy sets up camp in our F50 and backs themselves to beat Samson for the air ball. It's a more even contest group-for-group. Lynch will be one-out.

Either way, to beat Melbourne (and Geelong) we'll need to hit up leading targets better than we did on Saturday.

This week's match sim will be telling.
Where do we get stats to see how often Lynch was the target of our entries? I'm guessing 90%. Way too predictable. Need to be smarter. Another tall target demanding the ball would def change this and separate defenders to allow smart small forwards to apply their craft. As I write this I'm thinking what was Jack doing and where has he been told to position himself. I need to go back and watch the tape.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
You’ve got a strange situation going at the moment Aces. On one hand you’ve got moderate expectations for a 25 yo Premiership player with 70 games under his belt, but big expectations of someone who’s played just 1 game.

Interesting.
It’s not apples for apples Red.

With Samson I see huge potential. I am not saying he is the next Lynch or Gawn. But he has AFL traits. Yea he is still raw but he has dominated games at the lower level.

Balta I think has limitations. He has a low footy iq. The anti Riewoldt. But his output is enough to limit the best opposition forward. Expectations are far too high.

Reactions: 1 user

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Where do we get stats to see how often Lynch was the target of our entries? I'm guessing 90%. Way too predictable. Need to be smarter. Another tall target demanding the ball would def change this and separate defenders to allow smart small forwards to apply their craft. As I write this I'm thinking what was Jack doing and where has he been told to position himself. I need to go back and watch the tape.

They definitely targeted Jack a fair bit, you can see that from the amount of intercepts Young had (14) but note he only had 2 contested marks to Jacks 4. Our problem was that we weren't kicking to Jack's advantage. As I've said since last Thursday (and I haven't watched the game on TV yet, maybe I'll do it now), but I suspect it looks like Jack was always trailing him, but at the ground it was because Jack would zig, and then they'd kick to the zag. It was bloody frustrating to watch.

Reactions: 7 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
It’s not apples for apples Red.

With Samson I see huge potential. I am not saying he is the next Lynch or Gawn. But he has AFL traits. Yea he is still raw but he has dominated games at the lower level.

Balta I think has limitations. He has a low footy iq. The anti Riewoldt. But his output is enough to limit the best opposition forward. Expectations are far too high.
Fair enough.

BTW I didn’t have you in the group of early ejaculators. He could be really good Sampson but he’s still a bit of a watch for me. Not prepared to go as hard as some, so early. Opportunity is there, that’s for sure. Hope he grabs it. Not impossible.

Reactions: 2 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Not while tarrant is out , and I still couldnt see it , no way miller plays ahead of him . I think we see a better Balta when he’s freed up with taz locking down on the big dog

I think you are right. We are playing Balta on the oppositions best forward, but he needs to be that athletic tall. If we go back to what we did last year, we played with Taz on the best, then Balta on the 2nd, then Grimes / Broad played on the 3rd tall. I actually think Balta is a player, playing out of position right now if we are going with 1 less tall in our defence (only last year did we go that tall, the previous years we had 1 less). If we go with the same structure as we did against Carlton once Taz is back, Balta may find himself in the 2's.

Personally my view is long term replacement for Taz is Miller, then Gibcus plays as the 2nd tall. Do we have a spot for Balta? Or does Gibcus take the monsters and Balta takes the 2nd tall (once Grimes retires).

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Fair enough.

BTW I didn’t have you in the group of early ejaculators. He could be really good Sampson but he’s still a bit of a watch for me. Not prepared to go as hard as some, so early. Opportunity is there, that’s for sure. Hope he grabs it. Not impossible.
Would you play him now? Is he a better option than Miller as that 2nd ruck/forward?

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Would you play him now? Is he a better option than Miller as that 2nd ruck/forward?
Um, I think Miller gives us more in the ruck so a ruck/forward situation I give the nod to Miller. You could argue Sampson might give more up forward but I think the gap between the two in the ruck absorbs that. Plus, Miller can be thrown around like we saw on Thursday.

However, if we were to see Miller a permanent back for some reason, then I don’t see why we wouldn’t give him a go. Or, if against a team we saw it fit to play 3 talls, then again, yeah I’d give him a go.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
This wouldn't be a bad week to try it. Adelaide has Walker, Himmelberg and Fogarty up forward so Miller would have an appropriate match-up if played back. And down the other end they're not that tall, with expected midfield dominance we could make hay.

I don't think it'll happen this week, though.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Um, I think Miller gives us more in the ruck so a ruck/forward situation I give the nod to Miller. You could argue Sampson might give more up forward but I think the gap between the two in the ruck absorbs that. Plus, Miller can be thrown around like we saw on Thursday.

However, if we were to see Miller a permanent back for some reason, then I don’t see why we wouldn’t give him a go. Or, if against a team we saw it fit to play 3 talls, then again, yeah I’d give him a go.
This wouldn't be a bad week to try it. Adelaide has Walker, Himmelberg and Fogarty up forward so Miller would have an appropriate match-up if played back. And down the other end they're not that tall, with expected midfield dominance we could make hay.

I don't think it'll happen this week, though.
I see room for both Miller and Ryan in the team. Miller and Balta as our key backs. Ryan as our 2nd Ruck.

Grimes is our interceptor. Our general. Let him loose. Vlastuin the playmaker. We missed that on Thursday.

Reactions: 5 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
I see room for both Miller and Ryan in the team. Miller and Balta as our key backs. Ryan as our 2nd Ruck.

Grimes is our interceptor. Our general. Let him loose. Vlastuin the playmaker. We missed that on Thursday.
Balta, Grimes, Miller, Vlastuin and Broad starts to look a bit tall for me down back.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Balta, Grimes, Miller and Broad starts to look a bit tall for me down back.
They're all quick, though. Grimes and Broad can play small. We won a flag with Rance, Astbury, Grimes and Broad, and another with Astbury, Balta, Grimes and Broad.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
They're all quick, though. Grimes and Broad can play small. We won a flag with Rance, Astbury, Grimes and Broad, and another with Astbury, Balta, Grimes and Broad.
Yeah true. Grimes speed isn’t lost on me. Broad and Vlastuin just ok. Reckon a small nippy forward line with the ball coming in low a lot might cause us problems.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Balta, Grimes, Miller, Vlastuin and Broad starts to look a bit tall for me down back.
Versatility Red.

And Rioli is the Houli replacement.

Allows also to move Baker down forward in place of Mansell. Baker has more forward craft in his little finger than Mansell.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Yeah true. Grimes speed isn’t lost on me. Broad and Vlastuin just ok. Reckon a small nippy forward line with the ball coming in low a lot might cause us problems.
Rachele and Rankine. Very talented. But nothing Grimey and The Prince can't handle with help from Bakes. Keays isn't nippy, Floss can cover him. McAdam's out and is a marking player anyway.

Versatility Red.

And Rioli is the Houli replacement.

Allows also to move Baker down forward in place of Mansell. Baker has more forward craft in his little finger than Mansell.
Na, leave Bakes back. He's not quick enough forward.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
It’s teams more like Cwood im thinking of. They’ve caused problems for us in the past.

I’m not comfortable playing such a tall backline against a team like that who will throw up Elliott, Ginnivan, Sidebottom and have Hill and J Daicos going through there as well.

When the ball hits the ground, that’s trouble for such a tall backline if it comes in with any speed at all.

The old system of using anybody down there because we had that overall system completely bolted down is gone now I reckon. Rule changes and the relentless attack by umpires on our tall defenders has seen to that. Think we need to be more balanced across individuals now.

Balta, Grimes, Broad, Vlastuin, Baker, D Rioli for me. Miller is tall overkill in the backline for me.

Last edited:

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Agree, I think Baker should be settled down back. We need run.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
It’s teams more like Cwood im thinking of. They’ve caused problems for us in the past.

I’m not comfortable playing such a tall backline against a team like that who will throw up Elliott, Ginnivan, Sidebottom and have Hill and J Daicos going through there as well.

When the ball hits the ground, that’s trouble for such a tall backline if it comes in with any speed at all.

The old system of using anybody down there because we had that overall system completely bolted down is gone now I reckon. Rule changes and the relentless attack by umpires on our tall defenders has seen to that. Think we need to be more balanced across individuals now.

Balta, Grimes, Broad, Vlastuin, Baker, D Rioli for me. Miller is tall overkill in the backline for me.
We probably don't need all the talls against the Filth. They don't have any tall forwards.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
We probably don't need all the talls against the Filth. They don't have any tall forwards.
It’s good to have options, flexibility. Figure we’ll be moving guys in and out a bit throughout the year as match ups warrant.

Not expecting many this week however. Just Clarkie as sub v Ross.

Then again, Hooch can surprise at the selection table.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Rachele and Rankine. Very talented. But nothing Grimey and The Prince can't handle with help from Bakes. Keays isn't nippy, Floss can cover him. McAdam's out and is a marking player anyway.

Na, leave Bakes back. He's not quick enough forward.
Agree, I think Baker should be settled down back. We need run.
Yeah I love Bakes down back. Was throwing up the idea if one had to be squeezed out.

Now on Mansell. Geez surely we have better options. This is a classic case of not unearthing genuine talent in the ones.

I know for a fact Clarke was very close to playing last week. Fingers crossed it happens against the Crows.