Samson Ryan | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Samson Ryan

He certainly went back in the last quarter when Hooch pulled the pin on Balta v McKay. Prior to that it looked like he was playing second ruck off the bench, drifting forward.

Seems we have Miller going all over the place at present.
Miller definitely spent time in defence earlier in the game. He was on McKay as early as the first quarter, when McKay took one of his contested marks.

Reactions: 1 users
Miller definitely spent time in defence earlier in the game. He was on McKay as early as the first quarter, when McKay took one of his contested marks.
Just been through it. Miller makes a clearing kick off half back to MJ out on the wing early in the first quarter then McKay takes that mark you refer to with 2 mins to go. But otherwise the rest of the time (in the first quarter) you see Miller rucking and playing from wing to forward line.

Whatever, we’ve got Miller all over the place right now. Think we all agree on that. That would be difficult for the poor bugger. I actually noticed he called for a short pass on the forward line in the first quarter, on his own, and got ignored. His body language was a bit like “what’s the point ?”

Gotta be difficult.

Last edited:
Just been through it. Miller makes a clearing kick off half back to MJ out on the wing early in the first quarter then McKay takes that mark you refer to with 2 mins to go. But otherwise the rest of the time (in the first quarter) you see Miller rucking and playing from wing to forward line.

Whatever, we’ve got Miller all over the place right now. Think we all agree on that. That would be difficult for the poor bugger. I actually noticed he called for a short pass on the forward line in the first quarter, on his own, and got ignored. His body language was a bit like “what’s the point ?”

Gotta be difficult.
One of his set shots later in the night probably vindicated that decision.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Gotta be difficult.
"Obviously we had Ben play through the backs, and through the ruck last week." - D. Hardwick.

So yeah, he is being thrown around a bit. It might be the one thing I agree with Robert Walls on that a run in the ruck is a good way to get a big fella into the game.

"We've also got a young kid by the name of Samson Ryan that's been going very, very well at VFL level and can pinch-hit from that up forward, so it might just be horses for courses - sometimes we might go with the ruck-back philosophy, sometimes we might go with the ruck-forward philosophy. We've just gotta figure out what works for us, but also what's a bit dangerous for the opposition as well. So that will change probably from week to week." - Dimma again.

Sounds like Samson will get a go soon.

But Miller played second ruck/roll forward last year even when Tarrant played ?

Are you also saying that Hooch Hardwick has it wrong ? Should be Sampson playing instead of Miller ?
On point 1 I think Miller gives the coaches more options and I think this was highlighted against the Blues.

On point 2, No I do not think Dimma has it wrong. Miller again offers a target up forward but is quicker, more mature and applies more pressure than Ryan. When the team/structure stabilises or when we need to give Jack a rest then Ryan offers more. Just my 2C.

"Obviously we had Ben play through the backs, and through the ruck last week." - D. Hardwick.

So yeah, he is being thrown around a bit. It might be the one thing I agree with Robert Walls on that a run in the ruck is a good way to get a big fella into the game.

"We've also got a young kid by the name of Samson Ryan that's been going very, very well at VFL level and can pinch-hit from that up forward, so it might just be horses for courses - sometimes we might go with the ruck-back philosophy, sometimes we might go with the ruck-forward philosophy. We've just gotta figure out what works for us, but also what's a bit dangerous for the opposition as well. So that will change probably from week to week." - Dimma again.

Sounds like Samson will get a go soon.
That’s gotta be difficult for Miller and Sampson coz they don’t know whether they’re playing or not, and in Miller ‘s case where he will play if he does. Ruck/forward or ruck/back ? Full blown lock down role ? He played everywhere on Thursday.

Between that and Short’s role - maybe Mansell as well - we don’t seem all that settled positionally/roles wise right now.

Last edited:
Sounds like if Ryan wants real game time, it's as a forward. And can he play and not get in Lynch's way?

If Nank is doing 80% of game time, I think Miller is a much better fit.

Spot duty at best this year. Besides injury-based opportunities.

Reactions: 1 user
He certainly went back in the last quarter when Hooch pulled the pin on Balta v McKay. Prior to that it looked like he was playing second ruck off the bench, drifting forward.

Seems we have Miller going all over the place at present.
Miller switched between defence, the bench and ruck last week.
Dimma confirmed it in todays presser.
Also said that Ryan could come in and do the switch from the forward line. Horses for courses.

That’s gotta be difficult for Miller and Sampson coz they don’t know whether they’re playing or not, and in Miller ‘s case where he will play if he does. Ruck/forward or ruck/back ? He played everywhere on Thursday.

Between that and Short’s role - maybe Mansell as well - we don’t seem all that settled positionally/roles wise right now.
Yeah, we're not settled. I don't mind trying a few different set-ups to see what works best. Better than picking and sticking and not knowing your options. It's the phony season. We'll lock it down when the real stuff starts.

Sounds like if Ryan wants real game time, it's as a forward. And can he play and not get in Lynch's way?
That's the question. Only one way to find out. He shapes as a bigger threat to defences than Miller.

Miller switched between defence, the bench and ruck last week.
Dimma confirmed it in todays presser.
Also said that Ryan could come in and do the switch from the forward line. Horses for courses.
Yeah I know. I said straight after the game that he played on McKay in the last quarter. Not that anyone noticed. He also went into the ruck and forward too. Was all over the place.

Dimma has the saying "one game in the seniors is worth 50 in the VFL" we can all agree that the cold wintery night in mid July last year was not the case for Samson, he was the lone wolf thrown in way too early in atrocious conditions, the zero zero stat line was just a complete wipe and should be seen as such.

It's time, the new saying, "second game ;) in the seniors is worth 50 in the VFL", I want it to happen.

Dimma before the Carlton game:

“We‘ve got some really exciting guys, Samson Ryan we thought had an incredible pre-season"

Get him in, what's to lose?, only a game of footy and i can handle that if this kid benefits.

ASK AND YOU SHALL RECEIVE ;) :clap2

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

If Nank is doing 80% of game time, I think Miller is a much better fit.

Spot duty at best this year. Besides injury-based opportunities.
The PRE faithful have unleashed there boy! Straight swap for MIller in the 2nd ruck. Not spot duty. Saturday just got even more interesting.

Reactions: 3 users
There’s going to be a couple of bruised but significantly large egos here on pre if Ryan has a good game. The put downs have been poor for the last few days.

Reactions: 3 users
There’s going to be a couple of bruised but significantly large egos here on pre if Ryan has a good game. The put downs have been poor for the last few days.
I think it will be the first game of a Jim Stynes like run and we'll always wonder why he wasn't on the ones to begin with.

• Haha
Leysy must be in Tasmania because he's got no internet but he just sent me a telegram (not even a singing one, cheap bastard). I quote:

*smile* yeah! Get a dog up ya! What would you know Chumpford ya hater, ya bloody Ron Jemeremy, the Samson train has left the station and you ain't onnit! Welcome to Dumpsville, population: you. Suck my fat one you cheap dime store hood!
Maybe it's the beer talking Beanie but you've got a butt that won't quit. They got these big chewy pretzels here ijwdfhbewfhbwqhwqq five dollars?!!!? get outta here
nnfmg

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users
I think it will be the first game of a Jim Stynes like run and we'll always wonder why he wasn't on the ones to begin with.
Do you mean he is going to give a 50 (15) mtr penalty on the siren and cost us the game?

Reactions: 1 user