Samson Ryan | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Samson Ryan

crackertiger

Swan street 2017
Jan 4, 2003
melbourne
Thought he was better in the Ruck then Nankervis.... Keep playing him in the Ruck for the rest of the year. By next year he will be our number one ruckman. Bye Nank

• Dislike
Reactions: 2 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Needs more fitness and more body strength once he gets those he will have even more involvement and impact.

Has the tools to eventually become a dominant player.

Oner of our key future foundations is Sambo, gonna be a player.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012
Not yet. Nanks bollocking after a ruck contest is too valuable to have him relegated to number 2. Ryan makes a handy foil but doesn't have the physicality to match.
Yeah, I think we have to play Nank when he's fit. It's not sensible not to. And Nank will keep fighting.

But I think we'll see Ryan really come into his own when he's first ruck. His best games this year were as the first ruck.

Reactions: 4 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Nank's general beast work around contests keeps him easily number one ruck for the time being. Having said that, damn i'm enjoying watching Samsung develop his game. Obviously doesn't quite have the core strength as yet, but the young fella's got plenty of footy tools to work with. Most importantly of all, I reckon he's a bit like Jaaack in one important aspect. He thinks his way through contests n passages of play, doesn't just hack or bang away n hope.

Reactions: 9 users

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Fantastic game by the young fella. One or two last week saying he's not ready. He's ready. Of course he's going to be inconsistent, he's a young ruckman, they all are at that age. Keep playing him and let him learn his caper at the top level. That last play he was terribly out of position yet willed himself to try and get it down to our advantage. Pickett gets the accolades but in my eyes that was Samson's goal.

Reactions: 10 users

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
He really needs to play as our number one ruck.
Nope. Nope. Nope. He's not ready. He's a bunch of sticks lashed into a footy jumper. If you want to smash the hopes of a young ruckman and repeat what Carlton did to Creuzer, sure. Let's smash the kid and have him be finished before his 26th birthday.

Reactions: 5 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Went to the game and thought he played great, just watched the replay, holy crap his last quarter was superb! Everyone would have been happy if he just kept competing, well he kept competing and he kept winning! I think he only lost one contest until a couple in junktime. Tremendous effort, its the sort of effort you'd expect and praise from a great seasoned ruckman much less a pup.

Won the ruck emphatically in the first 5 minutes when the game still needed to be won, also ran, made space, took marks, set up a goal with great decision makling and skill. Keeps improving, and I was gunna write keeps surprising but oddly I wasn't surprised.. I'm a bit in awe of Sampson.

One thing he does which I like a lot and haven't seen often, is sometimes when he is outmanouevred or out muscled and 'loses' the contest, he'll lunge and twist in the air and reach out a big long arm and get a few fingertips on the ball anyway to effectively halve the contest.
This. He did it again.
FQ Ryan
Final quarter kid

Reactions: 1 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
As a ruck. Don’t think he’s a forward. Overhead marking and intensity for every contest is still my concern.
That will come with physical maturity.

Gonna be a beast.

Most guys his size don’t have the footy IQ he has. How long is he signed for?

Reactions: 3 users

gutfull

Tiger Superstar
Jul 6, 2013
Nope. Nope. Nope. He's not ready. He's a bunch of sticks lashed into a footy jumper. If you want to smash the hopes of a young ruckman and repeat what Carlton did to Creuzer, sure. Let's smash the kid and have him be finished before his 26th birthday.
Disagree , he needs games/ minutes in the big time .
Tiggs will know when to rest him but atm he is going well do why not play him?.

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
Disagree , he needs games/ minutes in the big time .
Tiggs will know when to rest him but atm he is going well do why not play him?.
No problem with playing him, but managing his minutes. It was in direct response to a suggestion he should be playing 1st ruck.

Reactions: 1 user

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Surprised at the knocks on this kid. That was his 12th senior game, he's over 200cm and only 22yo. He's showing a massive amount of potential.

This kid is the least of our worries. Easily the most improved Tiger in the squad, though he is coming from one of the worst debut matches in the history of the world.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users