Samson Ryan | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Samson Ryan

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
One small observation from the weekend was when he deviated from his usual set shot routine and started to spin the ball in his hands like Castagna used to. He then veered right, off his run up line like he was trying to hook his kick and needless to say missed the set shot.
He’s normally a very good kick for goal but must stick religiously to his set shot routine. He’ll be better for it.
I have no hard evidence, but I believe spinning the ball in your hands while approaching a set shot is a recipe for disaster.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
One small observation from the weekend was when he deviated from his usual set shot routine and started to spin the ball in his hands like Castagna used to. He then veered right, off his run up line like he was trying to hook his kick and needless to say missed the set shot.
He’s normally a very good kick for goal but must stick religiously to his set shot routine. He’ll be better for it.
Excellent observation get that info to the club , I too wondered wtf he was spinning the ball on approach

Reactions: 1 user

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004

I have no hard evidence, but I believe spinning the ball in your hands while approaching a set shot is a recipe for disaster.

Juddy Clarke say Hi!

Which is possibly where Samson got it from considering he can't miss!

BTW long term completely agree with you both.

Reactions: 1 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Wasn't a flashy game, just a good really solid game from the budding star on the weekend.

Just did the common big man things well. Front spot, ball to ground, competed, tap work to advantage, hit the scoreboard. His elite smarts are starting to shine through.

That’s what excites me, his footy IQ. His footwork. He has composure and balance. Will only get better as he matures.

The most exciting prospect on our list

Reactions: 5 users

dmc

Kick it long and direct!
Feb 5, 2004
Ohio, USA
Developing nicely. I’d say his actual tap work is already better than Nanks. Just needs to put on some size so he can have more of a physical presence - in the air and around the stoppages. IMO - his development is a highlight of the season so far ,

Reactions: 3 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019

Yep

Once you can live bet on a set shot for goal,

Im renting a penthouse office with water views and a massive screen and a big comfy lounge and a well stocked bar.

It might take me 3-4 goals before i can afford the bar attendant.

S.ryan is gonna be as good as Gawn

• Wow

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Just did the common big man things well. Front spot, ball to ground, competed, tap work to advantage, hit the scoreboard. His elite smarts are starting to shine through.

The brad ottens goal kicking technique is the passionfruit icing

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
S.ryan is gonna be as good as Gawn
It's a big call but I agree. He's probably tracking ahead of where Gawn was at the same age? He's definitely a better kick than Max.

Reactions: 2 users

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
11 games into his career & he's looking pretty likely imo.

I like the lad. He's smart, skilled & a very competitive. Just needs to build up his strength which will come with gym work & natural maturity.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
that last contest to slap the ball forward to Pickett was great - won us the game basically.

Reactions: 4 users

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Would love to see him improve his tank more and add another 10kgs and just be that mountain that cannot be moved in the Ruck and deep foward

Reactions: 1 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
I am calling it now. The Ryan train is full. Sorry @Redford @Scoop you missed out. I believe there are seats left on the Ben Miller train.

• Haha

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I am calling it now. The Ryan train is full. Sorry @Redford @Scoop you missed out. I believe there are seats left on the Ben Miller train.

Couldnt have filled up a tandem bicycle with free tix after his debut :ROFLMAO:

Been a meteoric, yet strangely steady, rise.

I suppose meteors are mostly pretty steady?

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Would love to see him improve his tank more and add another 10kgs and just be that mountain that cannot be moved in the Ruck and deep foward

We dont want him blowing out any young and still developing knees.

Patience is critical with young ruckmen on this trajectory.

Hes a 12 year prospect; im happy for him accumulate 1 or 2 AA blazers before he starts his premiership medal collection