Samson Ryan | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Samson Ryan

Talls take longer, I remember Brendan Gale in his early days, he was the classic giraffe who looked like a liability with his unreliable kicking. Ryan needs 50 games to make any sort of judgement, there will be mistakes during this period. I think he's a ruckman first and foremost, could play a Stafford type role from time to time. Looking at another young tall in Bailey Williams, I think at 22 things start to come together. The main issue with Ryan is his ability to run for 80 minutes, this will be the make or break factor. Can't see him being a permanent forward like Westhoff but I could see him replacing Nank in due course. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: 7 users
Talls take longer, I remember Brendan Gale in his early days, he was the classic giraffe who looked like a liability with his unreliable kicking.
:mhihi Ahh....the memories of his 1st year in 1990. Bit like Miller now.

Reactions: 1 users
:mhihi Ahh....the memories of his 1st year in 1990. Bit like Miller now.
Gale kicked 21 goals from 22 games in his first season. Had 14 games of 10+ possessions and 7 games of 6+ marks too.

Doubt Miller has put together a season that good at any level.

Reactions: 2 users
The ease at which defences are moving the ball out of our forward line is troubling.
Both our AFL and VFL teams play a structure where there doesn’t seem to be crumbing small forwards playing at the feet of our talls. We seem to position our smalls further out to trap the ball in rather than deep forward to apply pressure and perhaps steal a goal. This leaves the responsibility to the talls and Jack and Ryan’s lack of acceleration and mobility is making them look slower than they probably are.
So if neither mark the ball, it comes straight out and makes both look like witches hats.
This adds to the optics that Ryan is not doing enough but it’s a tough ask

Gale kicked 21 goals from 22 games in his first season. Had 14 games of 10+ possessions and 7 games of 6+ marks too.

Doubt Miller has put together a season that good at any level.
Benny kicked 22 goals and 23 behinds, missing some from 10 metres out, he had a touch of the Travis Cloke's about him, was a much better kick from outside the arc. As a testament to the improvement a tall undergoes, his conversion from 1995 to 2001 was 112 goals, 56 behinds (66%), right up there with the best sharp shooters in the competition.

Benny kicked 22 goals and 23 behinds, missing some from 10 metres out, he had a touch of the Travis Cloke's about him, was a much better kick from outside the arc. As a testament to the improvement a tall undergoes, his conversion from 1995 to 2001 was 112 goals, 56 behinds (66%), right up there with the best sharp shooters in the competition.
It wasn't until mid-90s that Benny broke out with clutch defensive marks.

Reactions: 1 user
It wasn't until mid-90s that Benny broke out with clutch defensive marks.
Playing as a ruckman was the stroke of genius, dropping back into defence and like you said, taking clutch marks when the heat was on. Probably our most important player behind Richo.

Playing as a ruckman was the stroke of genius, dropping back into defence and like you said, taking clutch marks when the heat was on. Probably our most important player behind Richo.
Benny was a master at planting himself in the hurt line in front of the leading forwards and taking the hits. But it was Gas.per that stopped us from having to endure many, many more beltings. Serially unloved was Gas.per.

Benny was a master at planting himself in the hurt line in front of the leading forwards and taking the hits. But it was Gas.per that stopped us from having to endure many, many more beltings. Serially unloved was Gas.per.
I was a Gaspar sceptic at first, his kicking action looked unco at times but what an amazing nullifying presence, he also brought some run and carry to the backline after many years of stodginess, you could say a transformative addition, Cameron another who reinvigorated the list.

Reactions: 3 users
Doing bloody great job .play him next week then the bye.
Tee it up after that for another block .

His marking reminds me of Benny Gale at the end of his career! (I only saw the end)

I'm a fan.

Good with his hands below his knees (for his height), so he's versatile in a wider range of situations than your average tall. Jack is great in this area too. I like talls who can collect a loose ball, pivot, and cleanly handball to a running small.

Nice planning ahead by the list management team too, he's looking like a great pick from a weak draft hand in a compromised year - that's a big win all things considered.

So the bloke from Jerusalem might be out for a month with an ankle injury
I hope Soldo is not rushed back into the side like he was early in the season, he needs a a couple more games in the VFL. A good opportunity for Benny the Jet Miller.

I hope Soldo is not rushed back into the side like he was early in the season, he needs a a couple more games in the VFL. A good opportunity for Benny the Jet Miller.
From what I saw in the VFL I’d say the plan with Soldo is gently gently, I’d think he was lucky to have played half