Season 2024 - Feeling it? or Not Feeling it? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Season 2024 - Feeling it? or Not Feeling it?

Feb 25, 2007
What are everyone's expectations in 2024, believe we'll make finals? or more of a development year?

I'm hanging for the footy, I can't wait to see the team under Yze. The game style. Will we see a return of the full-on pressure on the opposition that was our trademark and has since been copied by Copywood and Kingsley's giants.

Also, taking the game on through the corridor, overall setups, and team dynamics. What youngsters can break in? Exciting times.

People like Josh Jenkins and Cam Mooney have NFI. They wouldn't know about our youngsters and think we will be the same as in 2023. Pies in 2021 finished 2nd last and in 2022 under a new coach played in a prelim. GWS no finals in 2022 but in 2023 with a new coach played in a prelim. Let's not write this team off, if we stay healthy yes a big if but if we do, we will surprise many and make the 8. Heck in 2023 which let's face it was a disaster we were still in the hunt for a top 8 berth with 4 rounds to go.

Had tom lynch played we would've played finals but wouldn't have gone far as overall the team was cooked. The key is the game plan going into 2024, just look at the Pies they have some really average players in that team but geez I thought they played our game style really well, their players bought in superbly under McCrea.

Going down memory lane well not that long ago In 2022 we were the highest-scoring team. Lost 5-6 games under 10 points to North, freo, GC, swans, and Cats when Prestia went down. Win 3 of them and we make the top 4.

2023 was a write-off in many ways but now with Yze, there is a new lease of life. A new voice, players rejuvenated, and from what I've heard players are hungry, competing for spots and loving their footy again. So many players have trimmed down, achieved new PBs, and looking super fit. Just on Graham, it's the best shape I've seen him in.
As we know last year many players got too comfortable, and standards dropped not only by the players but the whole coaching fraternity.

Keep hearing too many times about our older players, look at the Cats who won the flag in 2022 with the oldest list and 2023 pies second oldest. They will have around 10 players over 30 in 2024.

I am confident in our midfield, it bats deep with Taranto, Hooper, Prestia, Bolton, Dusty, Baker, Dow, and Graham (Sonsie and McAuliffe will get their chances).

I also feel equally confident with the forwards, it looks very strong with Lynch, Balta, Kosi, Martin, Bolton, Taranto, Cumberland, Coulthard, Baker, Graham, and Clarke with Mansell and Junior getting their chances. Need to see Seth Campbell play some ressies and reassess as he has speed, a good tank, and is a very smart player.

Not 100% on the backline, well more so the talls, Gibcus we shouldn't expect too much he has bulked up but hasn't played for a year. Grimes, can he stay fit? Need his experience and smarts to help Gibbo and Young.
Tylar Young looks bigger than last year and will shoulder a lot of the responsibility on oppo key forwards due to Balta going forward. Vlustuiin, Short, Broad, and Rioli are all guns. Brown and Tresize will get their chances.

The wings likely will come from Pickett, Macca, Ross, Ralphsmith, Banks, and maybe Clarke. Need speed and run. Which two get the nod, I'm guessing Ross, and a flip of the coin on one of the others.

Bring on 2024 đź’Ş

Reactions: 10 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Good thread AT.
I don't really have any preconceptions but I do have an air of excitement about the team & footy department for the first time in a few years.
Finals would be great but to me the most important thing is that some of our youth genuinely improves so as we can see a future. We're loaded up for the draft & have a first year coach so it's definitely the year of reinvention.
If it all clicks & we go deep that would be great. Worst case would be to bottom out & our kids really struggle.
I feel it will be somewhere in between. Some youth will flourish. Some won't. Some Premiership vets will start to drop away.
About a 13th placed finish again but 13th with a bullet..:))

Reactions: 4 users
Feb 25, 2007
Good thread AT.
I don't really have any preconceptions but I do have an air of excitement about the team & footy department for the first time in a few years.
Finals would be great but to me the most important thing is that some of our youth genuinely improves so as we can see a future. We're loaded up for the draft & have a first year coach so it's definitely the year of reinvention.
If it all clicks & we go deep that would be great. Worst case would be to bottom out & our kids really struggle.
I feel it will be somewhere in between. Some youth will flourish. Some won't. Some Premiership vets will start to drop away.
About a 13th placed finish again but 13th with a bullet..:))

Cheers mate! That's the thing we all have different thoughts on this year and I'm with you that with a new coach, ass coaches, and footy dept it could well spark the old crew into gear and some of the youngers get more of a go.

Spot on re the 2024 draft we are loaded up and will be big players. We have the most picks and likely will improve our draft position for another 1st rounder and points value will likely exceed 5000 or thereabouts.

I guess 2024 is a free hit, if it all clicks we go deep if it doesn't then we have the 2024 draft to look forward to ;)

tiges.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

JoeGee

Tiger Cub
Oct 17, 2023
I'm excited.
I think this year isnt a year about finals. I'd say this year was pitched by Yze as a foundational year to really blood the youngsters and find out who's AFL calibre.
Those who aren't will be traded or delisted and utilised in the 2024 draft. I'm guessing we will try and package 25,26 and maybe 39 or 44 to trade up to a higher 1st round. Freo's 14 or 18 / Goldcoast pick 10. Depends who's got academy coming through.

End of 2024 will see a lot of our older blokes retire. Maybe some free agency movement and compensation picks.

It's going to be a very interesting next 18 months. If we go deep in 2024 then so be it, but I'm more excited about the game style, competitiveness, and resilience to injury from our younger blokes. Kids like Tresize, Brown, McCauliffe, Coulthard have real upside. Dow, Cumbo, Sonsie, Clarke, even Graham all have opportunities to show us how good they are, and probably have to do it this year or risk being traded.

Reactions: 2 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Not too fussed where we end up, but bottom 4 would be hard to swallow.

Realistically, new coach, new game plan, aging stars, it's going to take half a season to start playing the way the coach wants. But at the same time I think the loss of Chimp and Jack is being overplayed in media land. We're losing the 2023 version of Chimp and Jack, not the 2017-2020 version.

Making the 8 would be a win for me.

Reactions: 8 users

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
Cheers mate! That's the thing we all have different thoughts on this year and I'm with you that with a new coach, ass coaches, and footy dept it could well spark the old crew into gear and some of the youngers get more of a go.

Spot on re the 2024 draft we are loaded up and will be big players. We have the most picks and likely will improve our draft position for another 1st rounder and points value will likely exceed 5000 or thereabouts.

I guess 2024 is a free hit, if it all clicks we go deep if it doesn't then we have the 2024 draft to look forward to ;)

View attachment 21735
LOL at Pordadelayde

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
Expectations for me are starting at winning the Premiership. However I see this as a development year so my focus is on how the kids develop. So really I will not be focused on the ladder this year.

Finish in the top 8 great - means the kids have come on
Finish bottom four means our draft picks have more value and we can use them to improve the side

ceehook2

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 11, 2021
is this a protection mechanisim ?

I'm not thinking finals or ladder positions

almost back to the dark times

I'm hoping to see

a fit and firing Dusty , a pure joy to watch
Shai , he does so many crazy good things , then he kicks for goal 🤬
people might think I'm sick , I love watching Broad , just the way he slips away for the outlet ball and with ball in hand , just basic kicks to targets , his third man up stuff , he is a mister fix it
I'm hoping to see a good year from Hopper
I love the intent from Baker and reckon he is a game changer at times , winning clutch moments and inspiring his team
I believe MRJ , Cumberland and Dow can make it at AFL level , but will they ??? I watch with interest and fingers crossed 🤞
I love the way Dan Rioli takes the game on with his run and carry , it really splits teams open and makes for exciting watch, more please

We've had tantalising bits from Banks, Bauer , Brown , Clarke , Coulthard , Gibcus , Ryan , Sonsie , Tresize & Young
again I watch with interest

our trick might be consistency

if we click who knows how far we will go
if we get belted early I fear heads could drop and we are in for a tough year
I think too many unknowns to predict a ladder finish for us this year

Reactions: 3 users
Feb 25, 2007
Not too fussed where we end up, but bottom 4 would be hard to swallow.

Realistically, new coach, new game plan, aging stars, it's going to take half a season to start playing the way the coach wants. But at the same time I think the loss of Chimp and Jack is being overplayed in media land. We're losing the 2023 version of Chimp and Jack, not the 2017-2020 version.

Making the 8 would be a win for me.

Spot on Baloo. Media making out like we have lost a lot but truth be known we were getting end-of-career performances, not peak 2015-2020

Kosi I reckon as 2nd fiddle to Lynch can kick 25-30 and chop out in the ruck if need be.

A fit hopper replaces Cotchin and Dow I can see much more improvement in his game. Also, Sonsie, McAuliffe etc will get their chances. The midfield is pretty stacked now, it bats a lot deeper than in previous years.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
What does Michael Jackson say? :))

I reckon we will finish 7-12 on the ladder this season.

Reactions: 1 user

BiddiscombeSkills

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 2, 2005
Given the almost universally low expectations in the media, this season shapes up as a free hit for Yze.

I'm hoping he takes the opportunity to find out who can and can't play at senior level. That means rotating kids through the seniors, with a guaranteed block of games to show what they can do.

And while I'm not a fan of the whole Balta-forward-and-hopefully-this-time-it-works plan, I like the idea of trialling players in different positions while the media heat is low. Gibcus forward and Bauer back? Sure, why not. Miller on the wing? Dude's got wheels, what the hell, bring it on. Hopper-as-Caddy? You know it makes sense.

Long story short, to me this feels like a transitional year - looking forward to finding out more about where our list is really at, before hitting the 2024 draft hard.

Exciting times!

gold1

Tiger Champion
Feb 24, 2008
1974 premiers.......................2024 premiers..................love a milestone event.

• Love

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
I just want the footy to start.

I cant bare with anymore Superbowl NFL talk. Its a *smile* sport.

Now where will we finish? A fit and healthy experienced group = Top 8. If they get hit with injuries = bottom 6.

• Dislike
  • Love

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria

Now where will we finish? A fit and healthy experienced group = Top 8. If they get hit with injuries = bottom 6.
100% agree with you esp comment about NFL

I have basketball also in my *smile* sport list - Cant stand it

Maybe its America ?

Even their motorcycles that I have & have had heaps of over the years are now *smile*

• Dislike
Reactions: 4 users

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
1974 premiers.......................2024 premiers..................love a milestone event.

1967 premiers...............................2017 premiers
1969 premiers................................2019 premiers

1974 premiers.................................2024 premiers

We've got good pattern form.

Not sure what happened with 1973/2023 and 2020/1970 but with 2020 being a covid year and 2023 Dimma having a turn which we can trace back to the Covid year, happy to write that off as an anomaly!

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005

Are you nude already?

• Haha

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Somewhere between 10th and 16th, probably closer to the latter without some significant luck or the emergence of multiple star players.

Aging core with declining output combined with just about the worst collection of youth (1-5 year players) in the league based on exposed form means we are in for a tough time.

I feel for Yze because I think he’s taken on a list that is on a downward trajectory and history suggests he won’t survive long enough to see things turn around.

• Dislike
  • Haha
Reactions: 9 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Somewhere between 10th and 16th, probably closer to the latter without some significant luck or the emergence of multiple star players.

Aging core with declining output combined with just about the worst collection of youth (1-5 year players) in the league based on exposed form means we are in for a tough time.

I feel for Yze because I think he’s taken on a list that is on a downward trajectory and history suggests he won’t survive long enough to see things turn around.
I’m a bit with TF, here. Hope I’m wrong, but I see tough times ahead.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Low expectations. Maybe, just maybe, if everything goes right we can sneak into the 8 but I think we’re a 10-14 side with the distinct possibility of being a bottom 4 side.

• Dislike
Reactions: 5 users