Season 2024 - Feeling it? or Not Feeling it? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Season 2024 - Feeling it? or Not Feeling it?

Really enjoying the banter on here (new for me), watching the VFL streamed, watching our seniors. When I'm in Melbs love walking over to Punt Road to watch training after a coffee at Rowena Parade. It's all about the process.

Reactions: 4 users
Well we just lost pick 2 - it’s now pick 3 ……….. if all things remain the same.

Yes TTR - that will make a long time between drinks waiting till August - trouble is we should jag 1 or 2 more wins unexpectedly I would have thought.

While I always want RFC to win, some element of me would be happy we ended down the bottom this year rather than get some late end of year wins and finish around 12th. We have a good pick base which could get enhanced further with pick trades and/or players leaving. Some early picks would be nice.

Reactions: 2 users
shouldn't that be little boy month?
No because we'll be battling for the right to get the best new big boy in the draft rather than the dodgy leftover wieners at the back end of the draft. Gotta fink positive Toofy.

I'm enjoying the season. I hate losing games, but I'm enjoying the season. Its big picture. Its a time of renewal, the club is embracing it, and I'm embracing it.

Reactions: 15 users
Cheers mate! That's the thing we all have different thoughts on this year and I'm with you that with a new coach, ass coaches, and footy dept it could well spark the old crew into gear and some of the youngers get more of a go.

Spot on re the 2024 draft we are loaded up and will be big players. We have the most picks and likely will improve our draft position for another 1st rounder and points value will likely exceed 5000 or thereabouts.

I guess 2024 is a free hit, if it all clicks we go deep if it doesn't then we have the 2024 draft to look forward to ;)

View attachment 21735
Interesting to do these numbers again now

Reactions: 1 user
Whilst we are having our first down season in a long time this flog is loving it:

Having squealed incessantly like a piglet at the "state of the game" while the Tigers were dominating, he's as happy as a pig in shizer now that the stand rule and all the other hogwash he helped introduce has fundamentally changed the game, much for the worse imo. He must be delighted that the new rules helped flush us down the drain. Oh how he despised surge football.

The irony is of course...well we all know.

For what it's worth I'm still enjoying the season, disappointed we can't put our best team on the park but very proud that we are still competitive and that our kids (particularly MRJ) are having a real crack and getting games under their belts.

I'm not feeling it. and it has nothing do with our performance on the park. I wasn’t expecting finals and I kinda feel that we might look back in future years and think 2024 might be a blessing in disguise... on the proviso we get plenty of games into kids and (especially) nail our draft picks this November.

However, the circumstances in which we find ourselves in this year makes me bloody angry. I blame no one but the AFL. The 5-day break in the first week of the season has destroyed our season.

Another thing that makes me angry is how the media were carrying on about free kick discrepancies in both the Power v Saints and Cats v Blues games on the weekend. But they never, ever talk about us getting screwed every week.

But the thing that makes me really angry - and I mean absolutely fuming - is one of the biggest scandals in Australian sporting history is getting swept under the carpet by all stakeholders in the game and all levels of government.

The AFL hierarchy authorised a systematic, clandestine off the books drug testing scheme to evade detection from WADA. They claimed this was in the best interest of players, but I would suggest, Harvey Balic’s father thinks otherwise. This was all about protecting the brand and nothing more. 100 players involved. that's a big, big number.

Why aren’t we outraged? Why aren’t you outraged? WHY WHY WHY?!?!?!

Reactions: 10 users
I'm not feeling it. and it has nothing do with our performance on the park. I wasn’t expecting finals and I kinda feel that we might look back in future years and think 2024 might be a blessing in disguise... on the proviso we get plenty of games into kids and (especially) nail our draft picks this November.

However, the circumstances in which we find ourselves in this year makes me bloody angry. I blame no one but the AFL. The 5-day break in the first week of the season has destroyed our season.

Another thing that makes me angry is how the media were carrying on about free kick discrepancies in both the Power v Saints and Cats v Blues games on the weekend. But they never, ever talk about us getting screwed every week.

But the thing that makes me really angry - and I mean absolutely fuming - is one of the biggest scandals in Australian sporting history is getting swept under the carpet by all stakeholders in the game and all levels of government.

The AFL hierarchy authorised a systematic, clandestine off the books drug testing scheme to evade detection from WADA. They claimed this was in the best interest of players, but I would suggest, Harvey Balic’s father thinks otherwise. This was all about protecting the brand and nothing more. 100 players involved. that's a big, big number.

Why aren’t we outraged? Why aren’t you outraged? WHY WHY WHY?!?!?!
Excellent post. It is outrageous what has been done to our game in the last 10 years. Capped off by this secret drug testing fiasco. When you consider Wakeley's chest puffing exercise that I just posted (above) on Sen.com today, you realise the how deep the complicity with the media. Hand in hand they go marching off the cliff. Whatever it takes to keep the machine moving forward. Yes I'm angry about it but that just takes years off my life and gets me nowhere. What's that saying about...

(Insert your God/Universe etc), give me grace to accept with serenity
the things that cannot be changed,
Courage to change the things
which should be changed,
and the Wisdom to distinguish
the one from the other.

...or something like that

Warning: This is a scattergun stream-of-consciousness approach to Footy 2024 so please feel free to move on to the following post now!

I think I have been spoilt by the Dimmasty and find the game a bit of a let down in some ways now. Low scores. Ross Lyon inspired gamestyles. Forwards smothered.
It all started when my favourite Tiger went to the backline to play quarterback while our forward line lacked composure in close games.

The realisation that our idols were in fact mere mortals kicked in, as one by one they succumbed/are succumbing to old father time.
When we made a belated dive for the choccies we were thwarted by the stupid arc up at the Gabba (after the soft call was a goal.) As it turns out that was our last hurrah with the champs.

Not seeing Dusty and Cotch together, Not being able to marvel at the wizardry of Jackmond and Shedda.
Dion,Grimesy and Dusty well past their prime and on the wrong side of twilight. It's a sense of loss.

We have been spoilt and I honestly do not see a potential level of excitement in the best of what we now have. Shai is a highlight reel player but flawed. Noah doesn't excite me at all as a forward.

Thankfully we have the Big V and to a lesser extent Broady, who save us from embarrassment on a regular basis. (Nick deserves to be the next Captain if he wants it) .

I've been a Tiger for over 60 years. We've seen plenty worse and the love is still there but the sameness and anonymity of the lists of the 18 teams loses me. I find myself not hating Collingwood nearly as much. Couldn't pick many of them out of a line-up.

I reckon I could reel off well over 150 AFL player names I couldn't put a club to. I used to know all the lists pretty well in the VFL.

Some here might remember duels eg Hart/Doull, Carey/Silvagni and the list goes on.) Doesn't happen anymore.

The crowd pulling forwards. Gone. (Jeremy Cameron is a standout now. Easily MVP in comp.)

In any case, I still care in 2024. I hope I see the likes of McAuliffe, Brown, Gibcus, Campbell and Tresize make a massive impression on the game. I have high hopes for these young blokes but I have become a little complacent...maybe even too satisfied about 2017,2019 and 2020.

Well we just lost pick 2 - it’s now pick 3 ……….. if all things remain the same.

Yes TTR - that will make a long time between drinks waiting till August - trouble is we should jag 1 or 2 more wins unexpectedly I would have thought.
What’s the point in draft picks ?
When you continually waste drafts picks on Duds .
Take Lambert and Baker . Remind me what picks were they
And Nank , Caddy . Prestia , they came on the back of trading picks out
Over the past 5 years out early round picks inn the drafts have failed to impact !

What’s the point in draft picks ?
When you continually waste drafts picks on Duds .
Take Lambert and Baker . Remind me what picks were they
And Nank , Caddy . Prestia , they came on the back of trading picks out
Over the past 5 years out early round picks inn the drafts have failed to impact !
Gibcus is our only top-10 pick since Vlastuin in 2012. They both go alright. Our next earliest picks in the past 15 years were Lennon and Jarhead (both 12), Daniel Rioli (15) and Tom Brown (17). It's the picks around 20 (RCD, Dow, Higgins, Coleman-Dud) that we've struggled with, although we did get Balta at 25 and Shai at 29.

Pick 2 or 3 is a different story. Our last two top-3 picks were Cotch and Dusty.

Reactions: 2 users
Gibcus is our only top-10 pick since Vlastuin in 2012. They both go alright. Our next earliest picks in the past 15 years were Lennon and Jarhead (both 12), Daniel Rioli (15) and Tom Brown (17). It's the picks around 20 (RCD, Dow, Higgins, Coleman-Dud) that we've struggled with, although we did get Balta at 25 and Shai at 29.

Pick 2 or 3 is a different story. Our last two top-3 picks were Cotch and Dusty.
Too many facts here for useful discussion.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users