Season 2024 - Feeling it? or Not Feeling it? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Season 2024 - Feeling it? or Not Feeling it?

Will I be bemoaning the state of the game and what it has become - I seem to remember saying a few times over the years that “I’m done” and to be truthful I think that rings more loudly each season. So expectations - would love nothing more than to stick it right up the AFL’s clacker by winning another 🏆but feel there won’t be too many good news stories about us.

Reactions: 1 users
I am pretty bullish and believe a top 4 finish is within reach.
Lynch and Gibcus and whether they are able to re-start careers is obviously critical to such a result.
But if the gods are with us and they are at least competent for the most part and get through (on the ground) to the end, then both will prove more than competent in September.
More than these two though I think we have a fair number of really highly skilled and experienced players who will GIVE their all to get us into the top 4.
On the top rung are Martin, Taranto, Balta, Bolton and Rioli backed by Baker, Broad, NV, Short and Nank.
Players like Cumberland, Graham and Hopper are also capable and have the potential to do so much better under Oooze.
Youngsters Banks, Bauer, Brown, Clarke, Dow, McAuliffe, Smith, Sonsie, Ryan, Trezise and Young will also be given plenty of opportunities and imo have shown enough to suggest they will become automatic inclusions.
Like what I see!

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Dislike
Reactions: 7 users
What I am looking forward to is our new game plan, driven by our new coach, should result in a more balanced Freekick differential. Because it was always about how we played the game differently to everyone else.

TBH I have no idea of where we could finish. At the end of last year I said anywhere from 5th to 17th and I'm still exactly in the same position, but I'm soo pumped for the new season. It feels like a completely fresh start, its going to be bloody weird. I think most on here know I haven't been a Tiger as long as many on here and grew up overseas, so this is the 1st season I have watched Richmond without Dimma, Cotch and Jack on our list but its damn exciting to see the next group come on.

I'm excited to see the transition in our defence. The rise of Gibcus, Young and possibly Brown as the 3 taller defenders.
I'm excited to see our midfield continue to transition. To see if Shai can finally take that next stop, from a very good AFL player to one of the best players in the comp. I'm excited to see what Dusty can be this year. I'm excited to see the opportunities that the kids will be given as well as excited to see if we see the Hopper we wanted when we signed him rather than what we got last year.
I'm excited to see the transition in our forward line. Damn I've missed seeing Lynchy rise for those marks. I'm excited to see what Balta and Kosi can do as the 2nd banana. I'm excited to see the transition with our small forwards. Do we see a higher skill set in our forward line, will our pressure be back.
Overall I'm excited to see the gameplan and see how our players take to it. I reckon we'll see some scintillating footy and at times, we will likely do too much and get punished the other way.

Lets be excited for the unknown ahead of us. Its probably the 1st season in a while where I literally have no idea how the year is going to go, but I want to see the transition towards our kids and I'm excited to see what they can bring to the team.

We have a much better underbelly than some clowns in the media are given us credit for. Having players in the 24-28 bracket in Taranto, Hopper, Rioli, Short, Baker, Balta, Bolton, Graham and Young doesn't suggest to me a bottom of the table team with the quality of our older players still there etc, but how far this group can take us in 2024 I have no idea, but its exciting to have that clean and unknown slate as we go into the season.

Reactions: 11 users
Fighting with Hawthorn and Fremantle to stay our of the bottom 4.
Not sure about Yze, (but that's the same with Kingsley too)
We are back to 2016 results, sorry kids.

• Wow
My interest will be in watching the development of the youngsters going forward.

I'm a bit ambivalent about the whole AFL comp since they screwed over the RFC with contrived and corrupt dealings, then they doubled down by playing us in QLD where the umps will give the Tigers a serious humping to help the Suns and Hardwick get off to a winning start. Talk about FIXturing.

I will pay attention to my Tigers but that'll just about be it.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: 6 users
TBH I have no idea of where we could finish. At the end of last year I said anywhere from 5th to 17th and I'm still exactly in the same position, but I'm soo pumped for the new season. It feels like a completely fresh start, its going to be bloody weird. I think most on here know I haven't been a Tiger as long as many on here and grew up overseas, so this is the 1st season I have watched Richmond without Dimma, Cotch and Jack on our list but its damn exciting to see the next group come on.

I'm excited to see the transition in our defence. The rise of Gibcus, Young and possibly Brown as the 3 taller defenders.
I'm excited to see our midfield continue to transition. To see if Shai can finally take that next stop, from a very good AFL player to one of the best players in the comp. I'm excited to see what Dusty can be this year. I'm excited to see the opportunities that the kids will be given as well as excited to see if we see the Hopper we wanted when we signed him rather than what we got last year.
I'm excited to see the transition in our forward line. Damn I've missed seeing Lynchy rise for those marks. I'm excited to see what Balta and Kosi can do as the 2nd banana. I'm excited to see the transition with our small forwards. Do we see a higher skill set in our forward line, will our pressure be back.
Overall I'm excited to see the gameplan and see how our players take to it. I reckon we'll see some scintillating footy and at times, we will likely do too much and get punished the other way.

Lets be excited for the unknown ahead of us. Its probably the 1st season in a while where I literally have no idea how the year is going to go, but I want to see the transition towards our kids and I'm excited to see what they can bring to the team.

We have a much better underbelly than some clowns in the media are given us credit for. Having players in the 24-28 bracket in Taranto, Hopper, Rioli, Short, Baker, Balta, Bolton, Graham and Young doesn't suggest to me a bottom of the table team with the quality of our older players still there etc, but how far this group can take us in 2024 I have no idea, but its exciting to have that clean and unknown slate as we go into the season.
Mr Posh, you luckily missed the Frawley Wallace years and the complete and utter *smile* show that our Tigers were throughout most of the 80’s, the 90’s (excepting the 1995 season) and the 2000’s. I hope and pray we’re not going back there.

I think we are probably bottom four. Hopefully some of the kids come on this year. We probably need a few years down the bottom to bring in the next group of guns. If we are bottom four we might be able to draft my boy Christian Moraes.

• Dislike
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users
I’m feeling @dimmauchamp will be pretty annoyed.

If we are kissed on the proverbial and the whole list is healthy, our fading stars twinkle twinkle and a couple of players burst out then anything can happen. But that seems pretty unlikely. 8-14.

Some of the gloom and doom predications on here are just amazing! Have any of you downers actually had a good look at the side that won the flag last season? There’s some real trash that played in that side, and we don’t have the same imo. They did have some stars, but we do too.
I have no idea where we will finish but I’m an optimist in life, so I’m looking forward greatly to this upcoming season. Our playing list ain’t anywhere near as bad as the media and some on here think.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
How we perform in a couple of scratch matches will at least add some credence to where we’re at , musing over training drills is hardly a basis for drawing meaningful conclusions

Last edited:
1967 premiers...............................2017 premiers
1969 premiers................................2019 premiers

1974 premiers.................................2024 premiers

We've got good pattern form.

Not sure what happened with 1973/2023 and 2020/1970 but with 2020 being a covid year and 2023 Dimma having a turn which we can trace back to the Covid year, happy to write that off as an anomaly!
Something wrong with 1980 premiers ...........................2020 premiers? Might have been only a 40 year milestone but at least it was a repeat of a back to back event.

If Lynchy, Dusty, Shai, Taranto, Meatball, Nank, Bakes, Shorty, Dan, Broady, Gibcus, Balta to name a few can, have some luck with injuries, i'm confident that we'll be thereabout when the whips are cracken.

Reactions: 5 users
If Lynchy, Dusty, Shai, Taranto, Meatball, Nank, Bakes, Shorty, Dan, Broady, Gibcus, Balta to name a few can, have some luck with injuries, i'm confident that we'll be thereabout when the whips are cracken.
We do need luck with injuries but the most important part will come from the pressure the "young fella's" put on the older blokes.
A few have to make it this year to make a difference and give some hope going forward.

Reactions: 6 users
We do need luck with injuries but the most important part will come from the pressure the "young fella's" put on the older blokes.
A few have to make it this year to make a difference and give some hope going forward.
Yes, I hope that Ooze has wiped the slate clean, ie, no game on reputation.

The foundational change that led to our recent premierships was when Hardwick came back from that USA trip with the new attitude to allow our players to play to their strengths and not burden them with a game style that inhibited those strengths. From that point Hardwick developed a game style that used their strengths and let the players play naturally on instinct - they didn't have to think what do I do now that fits into our game plan? They just did what came naturally to them - the media called it chaos football. The last couple of years we've lost players and the new players had different abilities to those we lost and those new players were lost with the game style we played because they didnt have the inate ability of those players who moved on. Add to that the League changing the rules to stop Hardwicks great rebound plan by having an extra in the backline - that stupid bloody 6-6-6 rule. Then the Statue on the mark rule which truly prevented Hardwick's version of chaos footy which was put pressure on the ball carrier, cause the turnover, and handball forward.

So I'm hoping Yze allows the players to play their natural game and institute a new form of chaos footy similar to the Demons way of playing when they won their premiership. That chaos footy got around the new AFL rules.

If that happens I will be happy with wherever we finish on the ladder. If it truly clicks we might become an actual contender for the flag.

The most gratifying aspect of 2024 for me will be to see Richmond players play with instinct and natural ability that allows them to grow into our next premiership team.

Over to you Mr. Yze!

Reactions: 7 users
But at the same time I think the loss of Chimp and Jack is being overplayed in media land. We're losing the 2023 version of Chimp and Jack, not the 2017-2020 version.
It's the loss of their leadership that will be felt more than their playing ability at this stage. Two giants of the club. The exodus of leadership is an intangible we haven't faced yet.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
It's the loss of their leadership that will be felt more than their playing ability at this stage. Two giants of the club. The exodus of leadership is an intangible we haven't faced yet.
Also, off the back of Sheds, Lambo Dave. Tross and Bash!

• Sad
I just want the footy to start.

I cant bare with anymore Superbowl NFL talk. Its a *smile* sport.

Now where will we finish? A fit and healthy experienced group = Top 8. If they get hit with injuries = bottom 6.
Disagree here. NFL and NBA like the next poster said definitely not bad sports. Attend a game and see why Australian sports fall short.

But the actual question, I’m optimistic that we will be competitive. Don’t realistically believe we will make finals, and if we do we won’t go far so is it with it?

• Dislike