Season 2024 - Feeling it? or Not Feeling it? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Season 2024 - Feeling it? or Not Feeling it?

It's the loss of their leadership that will be felt more than their playing ability at this stage. Two giants of the club. The exodus of leadership is an intangible we haven't faced yet.

Yeah, that's a fair point. W@e need the next batch to start standing up as onfield leaders. Baker, Prestia, Lynch. Taranto apparently oozes leadership. Dan is the right age group but leads more by his deeds than talk it up from what I've seen.

It's going to be an interesting year.

Reactions: 2 users
IMO, this new season is likely to be a transitional year with new coaches, new ideas and some aging stars. Hope I am wrong but I think we are around the 9 mark in the league. The following season is the one when we should really start to gel

Reactions: 1 users
Really low expectations this year. If the veterans have a great year we'll be competitive but I feel like even in the best case scenario, bottom of the 8 would be a great result.
The younger half of the list is pretty poor right now IMO, so we'll need a great 2024 draft just to replace the stragglers and retirees. Yze may well be a good coach, but like Dimma, it's going to take time (and few years worth of top 10 draft picks) to get us back up the hill I think.

Reactions: 2 users
We'll finish top 4 and get ahead of a dominant GWS in a prelim.

Premiership 14 coming up!

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Disagree here. NFL and NBA like the next poster said definitely not bad sports. Attend a game and see why Australian sports fall short.

But the actual question, I’m optimistic that we will be competitive. Don’t realistically believe we will make finals, and if we do we won’t go far so is it with it?
Sorry Checkside I dont need to attend to see its a *smile* sport. I was only referring to NFL and not NBA.

If I am going to spend money on overseas sports, its the EPL for me.

• Love
Somewhere between 10th and 16th, probably closer to the latter without some significant luck or the emergence of multiple star players.

Aging core with declining output combined with just about the worst collection of youth (1-5 year players) in the league based on exposed form means we are in for a tough time.

I feel for Yze because I think he’s taken on a list that is on a downward trajectory and history suggests he won’t survive long enough to see things turn around.
I’m a bit with TF, here. Hope I’m wrong, but I see tough times ahead.
I like the kids coming through but they're not Dusty/Cotch/Rance or Jack caibre.To access that kind of talent you need pain & luck.
Happy too see the kids this year.

The foundational change that led to our recent premierships was when Hardwick came back from that USA trip with the new attitude to allow our players to play to their strengths and not burden them with a game style that inhibited those strengths. From that point Hardwick developed a game style that used their strengths and let the players play naturally on instinct - they didn't have to think what do I do now that fits into our game plan? They just did what came naturally to them - the media called it chaos football. The last couple of years we've lost players and the new players had different abilities to those we lost and those new players were lost with the game style we played because they didnt have the inate ability of those players who moved on. Add to that the League changing the rules to stop Hardwicks great rebound plan by having an extra in the backline - that stupid bloody 6-6-6 rule. Then the Statue on the mark rule which truly prevented Hardwick's version of chaos footy which was put pressure on the ball carrier, cause the turnover, and handball forward.

So I'm hoping Yze allows the players to play their natural game and institute a new form of chaos footy similar to the Demons way of playing when they won their premiership. That chaos footy got around the new AFL rules.

If that happens I will be happy with wherever we finish on the ladder. If it truly clicks we might become an actual contender for the flag.

The most gratifying aspect of 2024 for me will be to see Richmond players play with instinct and natural ability that allows them to grow into our next premiership team.

Over to you Mr. Yze!
Chaos is dead.
Yze wants precision football through the middle.

Some of the gloom and doom predications on here are just amazing! Have any of you downers actually had a good look at the side that won the flag last season? There’s some real trash that played in that side, and we don’t have the same imo. They did have some stars, but we do too.
I have no idea where we will finish but I’m an optimist in life, so I’m looking forward greatly to this upcoming season. Our playing list ain’t anywhere near as bad as the media and some on here think.
Trash?
Name a 20yr kid we have anywhere near Dacios ability?
Degoey Trash?
Penderbury Trash?
Moore Trash?
Crisp Trash?

Our hopes are on a bloke that has a foot injury simliar to a bloke that retired on the back of the same injury.

All we need this year is to find 3-4 kids that can take us into the era.

Reactions: 1 user
I have put no thought into this year at all except that i hope we stay healthy and get games into kids. I'm also expecting a slow start as we adapt to a different philosophy

It's the loss of their leadership that will be felt more than their playing ability at this stage. Two giants of the club. The exodus of leadership is an intangible we haven't faced yet.
Winning a premiership is like capturing lightening in a bottle. You can have all the basics inc coaching, player development, game plan, list, draw, quality of opposition etc (or so you think) right on paper, but somehow it just doesn't click. Riewoldt and Cotchin and their leadership were part of that magic.

That's why I always laugh when someone says 'well Collingwood aint that great, if they can win a premiership, then so can we'. That was exactly the kind of stuff that supporters from other clubs were saying about us during our dynasty. If it was as easy as that we'd have 18 clubs contesting for the premiership each year. So much has to go right and it takes so little for a club to become an also ran or worse (Lynch's foot comes to mind).

Anyhow Riewoldt and Cotchin were part of that intangible. Just like Houli and Edwards were. It's not surprising losing players like that and the leadership they provided our projectory has been going down since 2020. 2024 will be fascinating, but in my opinion, it's going to get worse before it gets better.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
The kids have gotta take the training wheels off eventually though right? I think now that those giants (as you called them) are out of the way, the kids have space to grow

Winning a premiership is like capturing lightening in a bottle. You can have all the basics inc coaching, player development, game plan, list, draw, quality of opposition etc (or so you think) right on paper, but somehow it just doesn't click. Riewoldt and Cotchin and their leadership were part of that magic.

That's why I always laugh when someone says 'well Collingwood aint that great, if they can win a premiership, then so can we'. That was exactly the kind of stuff that supporters from other clubs were saying about us during our dynasty. If it was as easy as that we'd have 18 clubs contesting for the premiership each year. So much has to go right and it takes so little for a club to become an also ran or worse (Lynch's foot comes to mind).

Anyhow Riewoldt and Cotchin were part of that intangible. Just like Houli and Edwards were. It's not surprising losing players like that and the leadership they provided our projectory has been going down since 2020. 2024 will be fascinating, but in my opinion, it's going to get worse before it gets better.

Yeah, except Collingwood really aren't that great.

If we'd fallen across the line in each final in 2017, the people saying that would have had a point.

Our 2017 finals series was one of the most dominant in history.

Collingwood won their 3 finals by a cumulative 12 points.

We won our 3 by a cumulative 135 points, with our worst result being a 6 goal win.

Anyone questioning our side was an idiot.

Collingwood absolutely pinched one, and credit to them, pinching one takes a lot of doing. But this is definitely a flash in the pan premiership. You can do a lot right in close games to get across the line, and they do, but when you play in a PF and GF decided by a cumulative 5 points, you also got very lucky.

By the way, I don't disagree about how much Cotchin and Riewoldt meant to our ability to contest.

But also, Dusty.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users

If we'd fallen across the line in each final in 2017, the people saying that would have had a point.

We won our 3 by a cumulative 135 points, with our worst result being a 6 goal win.

Collingwood absolutely pinched one, and credit to them, pinching one takes a lot of doing. But this is definitely a flash in the pan premiership. You can do a lot right in close games to get across the line, and they do, but when you play in a PF and GF decided by a cumulative 5 points, you also got very lucky.
Post of the day.

I wouldnt mind a mysterious Barwon Heads mozzie born possum vectored skin wasting ulcer outbreak down at geelong and Dion literally tears strips off tom Stewart

That and beating Gold Coast.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
That and beating Gold Coast.
I know it' sounds crazy but for me beating the Gold Coast is non negotiable its our ALAMO in the season opener.

Its a statement game beating them after the AFLs contrived Bulls hit set up.

If the Tigers can grab the points against all odds (and against the umps), I doubt I will care much about what happens the following week.

Beating the AFL love child and pissing on Hardwicks parade is up there for me with beating Collingwood.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users

Anyone questioning our side was an idiot.

By the way, I don't disagree about how much Cotchin and Riewoldt meant to our ability to contest.

But also, Dusty.
It's not just about how much you win on the final day, it's also about where you finished in the home and away season. Collingwood were the dominant team last year and flag favourites for most of that time. They finished clear on top of the ladder and then went through undefeated in the finals to win the premiership (and incidentally the only time we managed to finish on top during our four year stretch we couldn't keep it up and got bundled out in the preliminary final). That doesn't sound a Footscrayesque 2016 flash in the pan to me.

But still yeah nah apparently they 'really aren't that great' and in actual fact they 'pinched it', and what's more according to some they aren't even that much better than we are. Seriously, I hate the bastards as much if not more than the next person, but you can hate them and still be honest about where they are and where we are in comparison. And at the moment, we're miles off.

• Love
  • Haha