Season defining Tiges v Dogs - Game Day Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Season defining Tiges v Dogs - Game Day Thread

Reckon he heard footsteps on a bunch of those to's

Hes a very good player,

But also very outside.

Sides need them,

But you wont ever see their number ironed on my back

Reactions: 1 user
Great article in the Guardian today - loved this bit.

“Whenever a great side goes through a rough trot, there’s a rush to frame it as ‘the end’. We’re into the twelfth year of Geelong’s supposed decline. Yet, like the Cats, Richmond present as a team that will stick around, that will nag away, that will reinvent itself on the run. No matter what trends emerge in the game, you suspect Cotchin’s little win on the wing will personify how they want to play.

In the next three weeks, Richmond travel to Adelaide and Perth, and square off against the best team in the country on ANZAC eve. Martin is still a chance to return. Prestia, so often their barometer, will get better by the week. Rioli has been reborn as a ferocious tackling, rebounding defender. The Tigers’ young kids are prone to brain fades, but are clearly going to be good footballers. They’re still piecing the puzzle together. They’re not ‘back’, but they’re far from cooked. They’re always dangerous, always compelling, and still very much in the mix.”

Reactions: 17 users
Just watching the replay (as I was at the game and you miss the close up stuff when you're at the game) and noticed how the commentators always describe Libbas throws as "he shovels it out" or "he flicks it out". Call it as it is boys, a throw.

• Angry
Reactions: 12 users
One of the things about a team that has recently won a few flags is, even if that team is no longer the powerhouse it has been so recently, you know that, on their day, they can cause problems to the very best teams. While we sit here and lament the fact we are no longer top of the tree, other teams are hoping we don't find some of that recent magic and send them packing.

DS

Reactions: 4 users
Great article in the Guardian today - loved this bit.

“Whenever a great side goes through a rough trot, there’s a rush to frame it as ‘the end’. We’re into the twelfth year of Geelong’s supposed decline. Yet, like the Cats, Richmond present as a team that will stick around, that will nag away, that will reinvent itself on the run. No matter what trends emerge in the game, you suspect Cotchin’s little win on the wing will personify how they want to play.

In the next three weeks, Richmond travel to Adelaide and Perth, and square off against the best team in the country on ANZAC eve. Martin is still a chance to return. Prestia, so often their barometer, will get better by the week. Rioli has been reborn as a ferocious tackling, rebounding defender. The Tigers’ young kids are prone to brain fades, but are clearly going to be good footballers. They’re still piecing the puzzle together. They’re not ‘back’, but they’re far from cooked. They’re always dangerous, always compelling, and still very much in the mix.”

Thanks YotT, great little article

Just watching the replay (as I was at the game and you miss the close up stuff when you're at the game) and noticed how the commentators always describe Libbas throws as "he shovels it out" or "he flicks it out". Call it as it is boys, a throw.
Drives me spare that word "shovel".

It is a throw. The rules stipulate it is a throw. We had this discussion on the umps thread. The rule states

Handball: the act of holding the football in one hand and disposing of it by hitting it with the clenched fist of the other hand.

Hold the ball with one hand. The definition of hold is - grasp, carry, or support with one's hands.
They don't hold the ball with one hand. They throw the ball with that hand and try and get a touch on it with their clenched fist. All the momentum is coming from the hand supposedly holding the ball. Both hands end up moving in the direction of the ball at the same rate. Its a throw. Like about 20 every game.

The commentators use the word "shovel" because that is exactly the motion, both hands moviong at once shovelling the ball to a teammate. They don't "hit" the ball with a clenched fist as the definition states it should be. .

• Angry
Reactions: 4 users
Drives me spare that word "shovel".

It is a throw. The rules stipulate it is a throw. We had this discussion on the umps thread. The rule states

Handball: the act of holding the football in one hand and disposing of it by hitting it with the clenched fist of the other hand.

Hold the ball with one hand. The definition of hold is - grasp, carry, or support with one's hands.
They don't hold the ball with one hand. They throw the ball with that hand and try and get a touch on it with their clenched fist. All the momentum is coming from the hand supposedly holding the ball. Both hands end up moving in the direction of the ball at the same rate. Its a throw. Like about 20 every game.

The commentators use the word "shovel" because that is exactly the motion, both hands moviong at once shovelling the ball to a teammate. They don't "hit" the ball with a clenched fist as the definition states it should be. .
How many lightning quick over the head “ handballs” did the dogs do on Saturday night?

• Angry
In these covid hesitant times, the crowd was fine. Almost 44K, the biggest crowd of the round.

View attachment 15027
Kinda weird when the Frockers can draw a bigger crowd than either Colonwood or Essendrugs. Massive crowds for the GP this weekend would surely have affected crowds in Melb. Punters would have had to decide where to spend their party shekels, weekly footy game or first GP back after the shut down.

This was the stat that drive me mad on Saturday night:
1A1112D7-D18B-4A2A-A8D2-07E2E86D4049.jpeg
The 2 coaches seemingly thought they’d back Their own midfield against their opponent as both coaches rarely had a defensive mid and the Dogs kept smashing us at it, 37-25 & 16-9. This needs to be rectified.

This was the stat that drive me mad on Saturday night:
View attachment 15040
The 2 coaches seemingly thought they’d back Their own midfield against their opponent as both coaches rarely had a defensive mid and the Dogs kept smashing us at it, 37-25 & 16-9. This needs to be rectified.

Clearance stats and scoring shots are what still has be worried. We could easily have lost that game if they had kicked straighter and we didn't kick as straight.

Reactions: 1 users
Clearance stats and scoring shots are what still has be worried. We could easily have lost that game if they had kicked straighter and we didn't kick as straight.
someone does an "expected score" based on where shots are taken from. grain of salt and all, but the "expected score" had us winning by 3 points.
it was noticeable watching the game, a lot of their shots were from 40-50 out an angle, that heavily contributed to their inaccuracy.

Reactions: 2 users
If that’s the case then a fair few of Edwards ‘handballs’ would have been called throws.

Yeah, the definition of a handball has certainly changed over the years. It is the chucks like we saw that StKilda player do last week that really get on my nerves.

DS