Draft for a rebuild | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Draft for a rebuild

yandb

Tiger Champion
Mar 24, 2004
After being somewhat disappointed in not targeting a midfielder with one of our first round picks and dong a bit of reflecting I actually believe the our recruiting staff have begun our next rebuild.

Each of the players selected seem to be direct replacements for players that have left or will be retiring in the next two years.

I wouldn't be surprised that Ross and RCD will be given genuine midfield time this year.

Three weeks back I posed the question to Knightmare from ESPN as to where he saw Ross and Hobbs next season and he indicated that he believed they would be similar in output. (with Hobbs being a better player in the ensuing season I presume)

Our coaching staff have the cattle to win a premiership next year now it is up to the players and coaches to deliver.

From the supporters point of view it is good to know that when we take a dip down the ladder (which we have to at some time) we wont be spending too long down there.

Reactions: 3 users

Jason King

Forever the GOAT
Jul 19, 2007
Adelaide, South Australia
Another year of injuries to key mids would initiate a rebuild surely. Getting Sonsie was mad science / luck of the gods and I am super stoked about that. But we have the defenders sorted now for the next 10 years you would think with whatever else we could poach through FA would be icing on the cake.

This also depends on the state of the game, whether this rubbish stand rule and 6-6-6 stays. The scariest thing for us is how to combat Petracca, Oliver, Gawn and Jackson. Fully fit and in form surely we are in the top 3 teams but for how long. Maybe the Dees dont bring it next year, who knows.

Reactions: 1 users

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Alot of our fortunes depend on the following players and we have not seen enough of them or they have seen enough game time to show their talents.
RCD - Dow - Martyn - Ralphsmith - Ross - Cumberland - Ryan - MJR - Nyuon
Most of the players now have between 2-3 years physical development to play at the top level but require continuity
I have no doubt we will get 2-3 players that will establish themselfs as best 22 from next year but we will need a few more to become good enough to put enough pressure on the best 22 .

We shouldnt expect too much from the new arrivals and give them 12 months to adapt and develop,I would be happy not to see any used this year

Reactions: 1 user

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
I always believe you built a team from defence first because defence tends to win out under finals pressure.

Very astute picks from the club - and the fact the best available at our pick was arguably the best defender in this years draft - was that good fortune or good management?

Our second pick revealed our strategy and Banks further solidified that.

If two of our draftees step up next year, play well then the energy they will bring will be electric and will go along way to pushing us back into the 8.

I reckon Brown and Banks will be the two to do it and they will add the our young gun b’s in Balta, Bolton and Baker.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
If Gibbo can learn CHF,

I think we're re-built

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
I think we have already rebuilt
Luke Hodge , Tom Stewart , Aaron Naughton , Nathan Brown , Trent Cotchin all in the 1 draft

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 7 users

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
If Gibbo can learn CHF,

I think we're re-built

Gibcus could well have the talent to play CHF, Easy ... but I reckon that might be a few seasons off yet before that were to happen.
In the meantime, as I have spruiked in some other threads, I'd really like to see Balta start to play more as a forward from 2022 onwards.

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Rebuild is an ugly word. Clubs like Carlton rebuild their list every few years.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled about the new balcony, the modernised pillars, and the extra room. I just see it as renovating upon a solid foundation, like we routinely do regardless of ladder position.

When we're winning premierships, we never do anything silly. We don't trade away the future to benefit the now.

We just go to the draft, like normal. And maybe snap up someone else's future pick while they're consumed with the now.

How did we get here? A place that doesn't require rebuilds?

IMO our first and last rebuild was when we first employed full-time recruiters in 2006.

I know, how about 2004? Sure, Terry Wallace gets credit for enshrining the idea of keeping our first rounders in 2004. But 2004 wasn't a rebuild. It was simply a strong draft hand forced upon us by circumstance, like a child finding $50 on the ground and getting to blow it all on the Melbourne Cup.

(and then betting again the following year... on a horse we'd never watched)

It was 2006.

In 2006, nearing the halfway mark of a 5-year contract, a man with a tan needed to sell us a vision for 2011 to buy himself time.

Sell us a vision he did. He even convinced himself that he's the list manager, literally. To this day. But I digress.

The club nodded along and invested accordingly. From 2006, we purposefully, strategically, rebuilt the entire list with a clear vision for the long-term for the first time. Our first rebuild.

And we've never needed to rebuild since. We've just had year after year of responsible drafting for the long-term health of the club.

It's almost boring. Predictably responsible.

This year's batch isn't this exciting because a strong draft hand was forced upon us like in 2004 when a young star walked out, the list was poor, and the draft was treated as a lottery.

It's exciting because we'd previously decided to bank our savings and wait.

Which is what you do when you're making planned renovations.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users

FitenFitenWin

Listen to the thunder RFC
Jul 30, 2009
Brisbane
Alot of our fortunes depend on the following players and we have not seen enough of them or they have seen enough game time to show their talents.
RCD - Dow - Martyn - Ralphsmith - Ross - Cumberland - Ryan - MJR - Nyuon
Most of the players now have between 2-3 years physical development to play at the top level but require continuity
I have no doubt we will get 2-3 players that will establish themselfs as best 22 from next year but we will need a few more to become good enough to put enough pressure on the best 22 .

We shouldnt expect too much from the new arrivals and give them 12 months to adapt and develop,I would be happy not to see any used this year
I reckon Miller belongs on that list. I'm really buoyant about him.

Reactions: 2 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Thrilled with all our new recruits thus far.
Pleasingly all have great skills, particularly by foot.. an area we really needed to strengthen.
We've been hearing all summer from the club about how great this new batch of kids are & now we're getting a good look at why..
Positive signs for our future beyond the current batch of stars.

Reactions: 6 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Thrilled with all our new recruits thus far.
Pleasingly all have great skills, particularly by foot.. an area we really needed to strengthen.
We've been hearing all summer from the club about how great this new batch of kids are & now we're getting a good look at why..
Positive signs for our future beyond the current batch of stars.
We should go hard again next year at the Draft.

Reactions: 5 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Is this weekend the start of the new era?

Ross and Dow as our starting mids.

Then there is Rioli, Baker and Ralphsmith in the team.

Gibcus our long term CHB.

Bolton as our potential marquee player post Dusty. You could also argue that Balta could be that player.

Then we have Rioli Jnr, Mansell, Sonsie, Brown, Clark and Banks waiting in the wings.

And who knows what happens with RCD, Martyn and Sampson.

And finally the wildcard in Stack.

Interesting year ahead.

Reactions: 4 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Is this weekend the start of the new era?

Ross and Dow as our starting mids.

Then there is Rioli, Baker and Ralphsmith in the team.

Gibcus our long term CHB.

Bolton as our potential marquee player post Dusty. You could also argue that Balta could be that player.

Then we have Rioli Jnr, Mansell, Sonsie, Brown, Clark and Banks waiting in the wings.

And who knows what happens with RCD, Martyn and Sampson.

And finally the wildcard in Stack.

Interesting year ahead.
Could well be, but only if Dimma bites the bullet n pushes plenty of games into the youngsters coming up. Senior players out of form or injured need to be replaced with the kids who've barely had an opportunity to play because of all the covid crap. Older fringe players who don't have much in the way of development upside left should be playing magoos unless there's no other options left. Aarts, Caddy, Parker, perhaps even Fish n Tarrantula aren't somehow going to elevate the side in the future, at best they'll probably be a stop gap measure n keep you in place when finals contending.
Push games into as many of the kids as possible when there's injuries to the regular senior players. The kids performances might be a touch more erratic but at least we'll find out who can own a future senior berth.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Could well be, but only if Dimma bites the bullet n pushes plenty of games into the youngsters coming up. Senior players out of form or injured need to be replaced with the kids who've barely had an opportunity to play because of all the covid crap. Older fringe players who don't have much in the way of development upside left should be playing magoos unless there's no other options left. Aarts, Caddy, Parker, perhaps even Fish n Tarrantula aren't somehow going to elevate the side in the future, at best they'll probably be a stop gap measure n keep you in place when finals contending.
Push games into as many of the kids as possible when there's injuries to the regular senior players. The kids performances might be a touch more erratic but at least we'll find out who can own a future senior berth.
Agree but there needs to be balance. Tipping out too much experience at the one time could be disastrous.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Agree but there needs to be balance. Tipping out too much experience at the one time could be disastrous.
Not calling to tip experience out, but when there's a need to replace an injured or out of form player, then put the games into kids not mature trudgers who provide nothing more than a stop gap measure. Push the kids to explore their future levels. We got some game time into a bunch of kids last year due to injuries all over the place, if we want to keep growing n contending through finals we need to push the kids hard to step up n make any opening their own slot.

Reactions: 3 users