Serenity now | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Serenity now

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Traffic on the way in meant it took me three hours to get to the car park ($14) in West End, then walked half an hour to met Ant at the Nash. Walked back to the car after the game, stopped at a servo for a sausage roll, home at 1.30am. On top of a two-hour nerve-settling walk yesterday morning, reckon I walked 20k for the day. Five hours sleep. Tired today.

I walked 3km back to the motel in Annerley from the Gabba, helped to sober me up at least. But you walked a lot further

Reactions: 1 users

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
Coburger nice thread and some good Input from us punters.
I thought I had serenity mid arvo.
Didnt in the morning that's for sure.
Have not really recovered TBH.
I just cannot get past the fact that regardless of all the game actions that could have or should have won the game for us the actual one thing that should have been a given is the AFL following its own rules. Simple stuff really. The umpire said goal, doesn't matter what anyone else though or whether it was or wasnt, it went our way. Then they made up their own rules for the first time ever I believe. And screwed us. Screwed us.
Also interesting that I have not heard a thing about Duaty today. My God they hate us tigers don't they.

Reactions: 5 users

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
Ok I'm over it now.
Hope all have an enjoyable September now there is nothing to worry about.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
It's not a competition. You drank more than me.
serenity GIF

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Its a good thread. Cathartic reading the sage advice. Have been pissed off, getting nailed by mates on a few text threads who've suffered through the tiger domination of recent years. Was still furious when listening to crunch time but ultimately the result will not change. The close losses of this year will remain close losses. It's been the year of almosts.

In some ways it helps you appreciate the GF's even more. And we are not dropping off a cliff. Things are never as good or as bad as you think.

Thanks for the thread CT.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
I have been fuming for about 16 hours now.

Woke up at four a.m., drenched in fury sweat, with my pillow in a headlock. Daniher's face flicking through my torpor.

Had to stop myself from kicking my cat this morning because it reminded me of Tom Stewart, by virtue of being both a cat and an *smile*.
Period 2, I gave a student a detention because he said the score review system worked perfectly last night.

And then, about ten minutes ago, my rage just imploded. Collapsed in on itself like a white hot star depleted of hydrogen.

I started to think about the implications of last night. The reality. The future. A feeling of serenity eased itself into my sleep deprived stupor. Why?

I think it's a combination of things. Here are some positives for the tiger army. Use them to temper your frustration. Add your own to share.

1. Sonsie, Ross, MRJ all got to taste finals action, and each showed something. None played 4 quarters of finals footy, but all demonstrated ability at the standard.

Ross backed into a marking contest and crunched a key opposition player. Got his hands free in tackles. Used the ball well. Kept running.
MRJ harassed. Tackled. Danced. Earned turnover. Capitalised. Put the fear of magic into his opponents.
Sonsie was clean. Tough. Dominated disposal, and effectively, for a half of an elimination final.

Their average age is 20. They were three of our 5 best players to half time.

2. Those who didn't perform, got to see where the standard is. Cumberland and Gibcus know where they need to be. They'll burn for it. Yearn to step up. I see shades of 2013 Houli/Edwards/Cotchin. But with a few more years up their sleeves. The finals footy addiction remains unsated.

3. We got to see one of the best finals performers of the last 10 years strut his stuff for maybe the last time. Jack's goals were impossible, and haven't been talked about enough. 3 bombs. 3 critical moments. Three goals. Clutch is one word. Hero is another.

4. We burned up Brisbane. We can all take some solace in their impending doom. We can thank Rossy for taking out their ruckman. They'll spend the weekend in Nirvana, but will plummet to earth next week.

5. Related to Four, but we would not have got through next week. No Prestia, No grimes, backline a mess, ruckman deficient, players out of form, champs holding on and in the end it just wasn't our year. We've had a brilliant run. And we legitimately have a future.

6. This was a rebuild year. Tactically, and in terms of personnel. Finals were always a bonus. And we have rebuilt on the run. We will be better for it.

7. We are not Essendon.

Which, on it's own, is something worthy of our gratitude. But we also didn't need a finals win. It would have been brilliant. But we have 3 premierships to fall back on, and finals to win next year. As dirty as it feels in my mouth, I see us more like Geelong. They lose finals all the time, and maintain respect and competitiveness. We can be proud of our club.

.... and, in the end... it probably was a behind.

So what else do you feel good about PREnders? How are you dealing with the fury?
Super eloquent Coburg. If you aren't an English teacher the students are missing out.

Reactions: 1 user

Cooper O'Reilly

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 5, 2021
Bit like the choir Tiger fans chanting our song after the 1995 PF loss to the Pussies at Waverley? I woz dare.
Me too. Funny thing that. I swear our players were all trying to get to the wing to get a cheer from the crowd.

We got smashed but you never have known it from the crowd reaction. We supported our boys harder than the Geelong fans and were smashing us

Reactions: 1 user

FitenFitenWin

Listen to the thunder RFC
Jul 30, 2009
Brisbane
I'm not devastated by any means. But I'm nowhere near serene either. That was a season of lost opportunity. Frustration is the closest thing it comes to.

We'll build again - hopefully be back in the finals with strong prospects in the next few seasons. But that mix of talent and chemistry is so rare. Oh well.