Shai or Jack | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Shai or Jack

Shai or Jack

• Who’s MOTY

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Shai

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • Jack

Votes: 70 60.3%

• Total voters

Huw

Tiger Cub
Aug 18, 2012
Albert Park

I reckon we need the judges who scored this dive to weigh in on this debate. They are highly criticle and clearly dont take in to account the moment. Seriously though, check out the scores this bloke gets after doing something that made me have an anxiety attack just watching it. Luckily his girlfriend had 15 cones before the dive to calm her nerves!
What about the judge who only gives it a 4.5

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
I
On 360 last night they pointed out that Nick’s mark didn’t win his year. Apparently it was one of Sampi’s. However, no one can remember the Sampi mark, but everyone remembers Nick’s. Mincey suggested it could the same with Jack and Shai. Shai’s could win, but everyone will remember Jack’s.
I remember Sampi's mark it was a ripper

Reactions: 1 user

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
On the AFL site they have 10 of the best marks ever..
I voted for Michael Roach's mark

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach

I reckon we need the judges who scored this dive to weigh in on this debate. They are highly criticle and clearly dont take in to account the moment. Seriously though, check out the scores this bloke gets after doing something that made me have an anxiety attack just watching it. Luckily his girlfriend had 15 cones before the dive to calm her nerves!
172 feet to the water. Crazy.
It would be bad enough to climb up there and back down again, let alone dive off. :eek:

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
In brief, this what Wayne Carey had to say about Jack's mark in the newspaper today: "Jack Riewoldt’s mark deserves to be in the conversation as one of the greatest marks, not just of this season but all-time. At number one, I still have Shaun Smith simply because of his elevation. But in terms of what will stick in the memory, Jack’s isn’t far behind."

Reactions: 1 users

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
In brief, this what Wayne Carey had to say about Jack's mark in the newspaper today: "Jack Riewoldt’s mark deserves to be in the conversation as one of the greatest marks, not just of this season but all-time. At number one, I still have Shaun Smith simply because of his elevation. But in terms of what will stick in the memory, Jack’s isn’t far behind."

For once I agree with Duck.

Smith's mark for the sheer height and representation of a high mark, gets it for mine.

Moorcroft's mark leading the voting on the AFL website. What a joke. He had to use his hands to get up there. Of the 10 greatest marks of all time listed for voting, I wouldn't even have it in that list.

Royce Hart's 67 GF grab should be there.

Reactions: 5 users

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
At the risk of skewering a sacred cow, I've always thought cousin Nick's mark was more an act of sheer bravery than any great execution of skill.

It still takes my breath away, but for different reasons to the Moorcroft, Sampi, Smith, Walker, Farmer and Bolton marks. Each of those is a graceful, acrobatic feat of well-timed brilliance. We shouldn't underestimate the courage of flying at those heights, either.

Jack's mark is an altogether different beast. There are so many aspects to it. The courage, the timing, the ride, the twist in mid-air, the size of the pack. And the moment! While it's fresh in our minds, I also reflect on the match situation, which called for someone to stand tall when the game was on the line.

Jack's mark has everything we love about Aussie Rules in one heroic act.

I think it is the greatest mark I've ever seen.

Reactions: 4 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Better than any others being mentioned. Greatest player of all time. Ever !!!

View attachment 12512
Majestic and ridiculously high without a ride.

But Jack's is a mark that the more you watch, the more you appreciate. Technically perfect in so many ways that it's unique. Shai's is poetry in motion, but Jack's is unique

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Majestic and ridiculously high without a ride.

That photo makes it look much higher than it is, because of no. 40 in the foreground. You get a better sense of the height looking at where Royce is relative to the Geelong player - Royce's waist is only head high, and the Geelong player is half falling over.

Still a good mark but there have been much better.

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Roachies mark is endelibly printed into my brain. I was lucky enough to see it live, it was a thing of beauty. He got so high he finished up marking it on his midriff.

That's my greatest mark of all time.

Jack & Shai's mark were both fantastic, the degree of difficulty of Jacks just makes it in front Shais for me.

Reactions: 3 users

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Footy Classified Wed night were gushing over Jacks Mark. Eddie was pretty much saying best he has seen. Lloyd and Lyon weren't arguing very hard.
When they showed it was first time I noticed that half way to the contest Jack took eyes off ball and had a look back at the pack. Makes it Even better to me, as it allowed him to make the call To go front and square or have a go to mark it...George was going to be crushed and if he even saw or just sensed Chol realised he wasn't the best placed tiger.

Reactions: 1 user

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
George is lucky jacks knee didn’t drive through his head
It’s a pretty remarkable effort by Jack.
And Jack and Mabior.....could have been the nastiest head on. For all the debate about the game becoming keepings off it still is potentially so brutal.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Roachies mark is endelibly printed into my brain. I was lucky enough to see it live, it was a thing of beauty. He got so high he finished up marking it on his midriff.
Wasn't there for Disco's mark but the photo makes it look like he was absolutely terrified up there, which is fair enough

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights

Jack & Shai's mark were both fantastic, the degree of difficulty of Jacks just makes it in front Shais for me.
Disco was breathtaking. As I saw if from ground level opposite wing/ HFf he elevated from out of sight and right over the pack. I reckon at his zenith he was thinking what do I do now?

T-Shirt Tommy

Have you got the oven on?
Apr 11, 2011

At the risk of being booted off the PRE website, am I the only one who thinks that Roachy didn't hold or control the ball enough?

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Disco was breathtaking. As I saw if from ground level opposite wing/ HFf he elevated from out of sight and right over the pack. I reckon at his zenith he was thinking what do I do now?

I was on the second level of the Olympic/Northern Stand & he was eyeball to eyeball with me :)) :)) :))

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users