So who’s the 22 for rd 1 ? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

So who’s the 22 for rd 1 ?

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Agree Craig - long season. Plenty of opportunities to give these guys a go (even if we dont get injuries). I think Ross is just ahead of RCD but its a pretty close thing. Aarts will be ready to replace any of the small forwards. The 2nd ruck is also interesting. Longer quarters, less interchanges may mean more need to play 2nd ruck. I still think our preferred model was to play the 2nd ruck even last year (Chol just didn't show enough). Whether that means CCJ or Chol replaces comes in for Houli or they prefer an extra mid (probably Ross) and use Balta to pinch hit. May also depend on how many bigs Carlton play.
No Kreuzer and DeKonnings injury have them a bit light for talls.

Pittonet and Levi might be their ruck options for the season opener.

Chol is the issue for the Tigers he fits a team balance need but he just doesnt provide the required output to provide that balance.

Reactions: 1 user

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
My thinking is if you weren't in the primary game v Melbourne or selected against Collingwood on Friday, then you aren't playing round 1.

Unless you're Prestia of course.

Going to be interesting if Prestia and Lambert are both fit to go in the season opener.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Reckon Aarts plays
Pickett won’t
Not saying you are wrong but how would that work? Aarts is purely a forward but Pickett is a winger/defender. They’re not directly interchangeable. If that change does happen who goes back to cover Pickett’s spot?

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
That's 40 games ...so on ave 3 or 4 of these have to play each week until Rd 12.
Is that viable to 'manage' that many best 22 for the first half of the season? Especially as you need to swap like for like in most cases.
Agreed, its a ruthless list management approach to give experience to the kids and prepare for the coming years....
And then switch back after r12 for the flag tilt.
Of the 3-4 youngsters playing there are a few who have already shown that they adapt and compete well - Ross, Dow.
We then "carry" a junior who might struggle.

Tough to manage the seasoned veterans but its a forward thinking long term approach

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
I reckon will be rotating plenty of the “old boys” throughout the season ,you’d think they’ll be plenty of opportunities for the kids if there good enough BT

Spot on, Mr B. Seems that players for the first time might have to start accepting being rested from the odd games as the season progresses.
The smaller interchange numbers will certainly impact on fatigue levels and the potential for injuries will rise the more players have to push themselves.
Smart teams (and there ain't no smarter team in the comp than the Tigers) will start to manage their list so that players stay fresh, which might mean a week off here or there for some players.
Going to be very interesting to see how RFC manage the list during the course of the season.
Plus, the Club would be fully aware that the likes of Ross, CCJ, Dow and RCD will need to get game time this season (if their form warrants it, of course) or there will be a strong chance some will request/seek opportunities at other clubs.

Reactions: 3 users

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
I,d like to see a policy this year that for rounds 1 to 12 we play kids.
So that we get
CCJ 6 games
RCD 5
Ross 8
Dow 8
Martyn 5
Miller 2-3
Ralphsmith 3-5

For mine Aarts gets games on merit.
It might mean we go into matches with 3 youngsters, so a bench full of inexperience and inconsistency.
And it would mean rotating players like Jack, DLTD, even Cotch, Prestia, maybe Grimes.

This is going to be a very interesting challenge for RFC, T-Dell.
Keeping the team fresh and firing with its stable of gun players (and trying to put the best 22 out on the park each week), yet also finding ways to provide opportunities to the younger players through the course of the season. Keeping the list happy and focused and rewarding opportunity will be a delicate matter at times.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
This is going to be a very interesting challenge for RFC, T-Dell.
Keeping the team fresh and firing with its stable of gun players (and trying to put the best 22 out on the park each week), yet also finding ways to provide opportunities to the younger players through the course of the season. Keeping the list happy and focused and rewarding opportunity will be a delicate matter at times.
2018 we had few injuries n played pretty much the same squad right throughout the year. Form tapered late in the season n we all know what happened during the finals.
Not a chance in hell Dimma n the match committee lets that happen again.
Kids will get a look in through injuries, form issues n older players resting niggles or missing long interstate journeys where possible.

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
surprised a few doubting Pickett for Rd 1 .. his speed, grace and flawed magic makes it a given ..
he's unique and brings something not many have ..

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Spot on, Mr B. Seems that players for the first time might have to start accepting being rested from the odd games as the season progresses.
The smaller interchange numbers will certainly impact on fatigue levels and the potential for injuries will rise the more players have to push themselves.
Smart teams (and there ain't no smarter team in the comp than the Tigers) will start to manage their list so that players stay fresh, which might mean a week off here or there for some players.
Going to be very interesting to see how RFC manage the list during the course of the season.
Plus, the Club would be fully aware that the likes of Ross, CCJ, Dow and RCD will need to get game time this season (if their form warrants it, of course) or there will be a strong chance some will request/seek opportunities at other clubs.
It’s an interesting landscape with contracts and negotiated payments reductions etc.
When players like Cotchin are being payed $10k a game, how many can you willingly rest him for if he’s fit and willing to play?
Then there is playing bonuses attached for youngsters who play x amount of senior games.
You have to manage these payments so carefully.
And lastly it is important to give young players a run of games to build confidence with continuity. If they’re in and out of the team it can impact their sense of belief they belong.
Glad I’m not managing team selection as it’s a very fine balancing act to start manipulating team rotations when fitness or form is not the criteria

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
It’s an interesting landscape with contracts and negotiated payments reductions etc.
When players like Cotchin are being payed $10k a game, how many can you willingly rest him for if he’s fit and willing to play?
Then there is playing bonuses attached for youngsters who play x amount of senior games.
You have to manage these payments so carefully.
And lastly it is important to give young players a run of games to build confidence with continuity. If they’re in and out of the team it can impact their sense of belief they belong.
Glad I’m not managing team selection as it’s a very fine balancing act to start manipulating team rotations when fitness or form is not the criteria
Senior players get paid an annual salary whether they're playing or not, blokes like Cotch, Dusty, Lynch. etc etc. Kids n Fringies get paid a base contract n topped up with match payments.
Depending on how the senior team is performing as a whole during the year, it won't surprise to see the older blokes being given the occasional rest to manage an injury niggle or lighten the workload from a long season.
Some kids will obviously get a few games here n there due to injuries to players, depending on the factors of who how n when it shouldn't be that hard to fudge an extra game into a young fella who is going o.k. while giving an older bloke an R.D.O. weekend.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
surprised a few doubting Pickett for Rd 1 .. his speed, grace and flawed magic makes it a given ..
Surprises me too. I thought he gave us more than Aarts, who people are advocating holding his spot.

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
I’m going with all been fit except Houli

B Vlaustin Grimes Astbury

HB Baker Balta Short

C Caddy Martin McIntosh

HF Castagna Lynch Edwards

FF Rioli Reiwoldt Lambert

R Nankervis Cotchin Prestia

I Graham Bolton Broad Pickett

em RCD Aarts Ross
Notice no Chol. Pity, he just does not cut the mustard.

The Mole

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2003
He looked good on Friday night at the ground. Covered distance really well. He was being rotated thru wing half forward and halfback with Kmac and Cads. I think this is how they are going to cover Houli The oppo coach would have no clue where they were playing. All three have ver good defensive and offensive running.

Reactions: 4 users

rinso17

Tiger Superstar
Feb 2, 2005
He looked good on Friday night at the ground. Covered distance really well. He was being rotated thru wing half forward and halfback with Kmac and Cads. I think this is how they are going to cover Houli The oppo coach would have no clue where they were playing. All three have ver good defensive and offensive running.
Nah. Pickett is a depth player at best. Butchers the ball far to much

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users