SORRY-A 5 letter word thats made history | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

SORRY-A 5 letter word thats made history

How do you think Kevin's apology went today?

• Kev did Australia proud.

Votes: 34 68.0%
  • Should never have said sorry.

Votes: 16 32.0%
  • Needed saying but could have worded it better.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
willo said:
sorry Livers, but now it's up to 100 are interested claimants, in Victoria. Other claimants have sought between $350,000 and $525,000. Bruce Trevorrow received $775,000 for "long term depression".

100 is nothing.
If you believe that wonderful stolen generation supporter, Robert Manne who said:

All that one can say for certain is that in the seventy or so years in question, tens of thousands of babies and children were removed.

Tens of thousands of babies?...and if you believe reports that the children of the people 'stolen' are deserved of compensation....well, thats a lot of compo, isn't it? :eek:

And people said saying 'sorry' wouldn't cost us anything..... :rofl

Disco08 said:
Nah sorry, I mean something outside of normal schooling. Surely these kids shouldn't miss out on learning their own culture because they were abused and fostered out to non-indigenous families? It's really not something extra either, at least no more so than state funded Sunday schools or other external type religious classes.

If these kids want to go to some Aboriginal classes after school and learn about the background, I have no problem with that...but it shouldn't be funded by the Government or the tax-payer.
Nobody pays me to go and learn about my family background and their culture and customs...so why should Aborigines be treated any different?
The closer we get to following the KISS (keeping things simple, stupid) philosophy and treating all kids the same, then the better it is for all.
If people want to go and find out about the background, family roots, culture and all that...then they do it in their own time with their own resources.

P.S:
I thought Sunday schools were funded by the churches anyway?

Liverpool said:
100 is nothing.
If you believe that wonderful stolen generation supporter, Robert Manne who said:

All that one can say for certain is that in the seventy or so years in question, tens of thousands of babies and children were removed.

Tens of thousands of babies?...and if you believe reports that the children of the people 'stolen' are deserved of compensation....well, thats a lot of compo, isn't it? :eek:

I only said uo to 100 atm, you mentioned 35 or 40 or whatever. now tens of thousands (Manne) factor in the descendents of those claiming to be stolen. Talking 100s $m if not $bs. Wait and see what/who will lodge claims

Liverpool said:
If people want to go and find out about the background, family roots, culture and all that...then they do it in their own time with their own resources.

From the perspective of an abused indigenous child in foster care, this is a very harsh statement. This is the sort of thing which brings people to accuse you of having very little sympathy for others less fortunate than yourself.

Liverpool said:
I thought Sunday schools were funded by the churches anyway?

Yes, most of them are. Do you know how much tax the catholic church, or any subsidiary businesses it owns pay?

Liverpool said:
100 is nothing.

Considering the seventy years he is talking about began very early in the nineteenth century and that he and all other historians agree that the majority of separations took place in the 20's and 30's (couple these things with indigenous life expectancy being 20 years less than the rest Australia) do you think a couple of the victims may not be alive any more and hence unable to claim compensation?

Disco08 said:
From the perspective of an abused indigenous child in foster care, this is a very harsh statement. This is the sort of thing which brings people to accuse you of having very little sympathy for others less fortunate than yourself.

If you are going to set up such an initiative Disco...then you have to set up the initiative for ALL kids who are placed with a foster-family that is not of their own race/culture/heritage. And that would be a waste of resources.

It isn't anything to do with having little sympathy...it is the view that some people have that they want to set up all this stuff for one culture as if to place this culture up on some pedestal and other non-Aboriginal Australian's cultures...well, we don't give a stuff about them.

What about an Australian child whose heritage is from...say Italy....and this child gets placed in foster care with a family that has a Croatian background...do the Government set up schooling/culture-classes so this child doesn't forget its Italian roots?

At the end of the day, we are all Australian and should be treated all equally, regardless of colour, race, heritage, religion, or culture.....and that is the Government's responsibility....not wasting resources on making sure Aborigines don't forget their culture and heritage while everyone else can fend for themselves.
I'd rather see the money spent on transport picking ALL kids up in remote areas and taking them to school every day.

Let's see some practical solutions for once instead of treating Aborigines with kid gloves.

Disco,
Seeing that we were talking about education and the like, this 'customising education' is the thing I saw in today's Age that I am totally against:

New goals for Koori students
February 16, 2008
THE State Government concedes Aboriginal students are not being properly educated in Victoria, and is moving to overhaul radically the way they are taught in mainstream schools.
Education Minister Bronwyn Pike said yesterday she was "personally troubled" by the gap between indigenous and non-indigenous students, and admitted that government funding and years of education reforms had not done enough.
Under a sweeping overhaul, Victorian schools will be required to develop an "individual education plan" for every Koori student, setting out learning targets, recording the goals that students and their families wish to achieve in school, and identifying learning needs.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/new-goals-for-koori-students/2008/02/15/1202760604751.html

Now, I am not knocking the intentions here because like us all, I think we would love to see successful Aborigines out there....however, if you are going to start separating students based on their race from the mainstream school population, what does that do to the self-esteem of the child for a start?
It is segregation and not including Aboriginal kids with the rest of kids attending school.

Secondly, why are Aboriginal kids being left behind education-wise in Victoria?
It is not like that we are a big state with a lot of remote areas that may cause logistical problems....it is simply a BEHAVIOURAL issue, where Aboriginal kids and their families have been more or less left to do what they want, when they want, under the guise of 'cultural identity'.
Parents, whether they are non-Aboriginal or not, should be held accountable for their kids not going to school....and kids should be made to stay in class when at school....THAT is the way to make sure Aboriginal kids start attaining similar results to non-Aboriginal kids.

Look at Asian kids...they do well at school, many of them go onto university, and onto careers in high-end fields like doctors, computer programmers, lawyers, etc.
They reach these heights because they are forced to abide by the same rules and laws that we all have to....and the only race that seems to set its own rules because the Government are too scared to act, well they have the poorest education record going around.
Gee, I wonder why?

willo said:
I only said uo to 100 atm, you mentioned 35 or 40 or whatever. now tens of thousands (Manne) factor in the descendents of those claiming to be stolen. Talking 100s $m if not $bs. Wait and see what/who will lodge claims

Willo,
As expected...let the ransom demands and threats start:

Stolen generations court option costly
February 16, 2008 12:00am
A NATIONAL fund to compensate all members of the stolen generations would cost $250 million, significantly less than what is expected if individual cases were dragged through the courts, legal experts say.
Civil rights lawyer Julian Burnside, QC, said what he estimated at 50,000 surviving members of the stolen generations should be entitled to between $10,000 and $100,000 each in compensation.
He said if cases were brought before the courts -- as with the South Australian and now Victorian cases -- taxpayers would be looking at up to 10 times as much, with an equal amount spent on lawyers.
"The (Rudd Government) apology I think was extremely dignified and well-cast, recognising a moral failing, which has caused great harm," Mr Burnside said.
"(But) is it reasonable to acknowledge moral responsibility and then say you can spend 10 years in litigation and we will fight you all the way? There is nothing so sincere as a cheque."

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,23221396-662,00.html

Liverpool said:
I see you are on here too...so...'pot kettle black' was it? ;)

Not really. I don't claim to work a 70 hour week and then spend most of those hours on PRE.

antman said:
Not really. I don't claim to work a 70 hour week and then spend most of those hours on PRE.
Well I work 55 hr (paid) week and like to put in 45 hrs (unpaid) on PRE, otherwise what's your point?
Stop having a go at us part-time professional PREnders ;)
We can't sleep more than 6 hrs, otherwise it's waste of living time mate.
We just enjoy each others company (probably too much so) ;D

As rosy says, it's a reference to a message long since past.

I am being slightly churlish willo but the amount of effort Liverpool puts into his posts amazes me. Pity all that energy is not used in a more positive way than complaining about all the things that he thinks that are wrong with this country.

antman said:
As rosy says, it's a reference to a message long since past.

I am being slightly churlish willo but the amount of effort Liverpool puts into his posts amazes me. Pity all that energy is not used in a more positive way than complaining about all the things that he thinks that are wrong with this country.
I was being a bit sarcastic too mate.
Some of us could be full time PREnders.
Yep ol' Livers does put some effort into his posts alright. He doesn't like the one word replies. He's passionate about his views is all. ;D

PRE proves it knows what is going on..... our poll result is spot on.

Two thirds of Aussies back apology

February 18, 2008 07:20am

MORE than two thirds of Australians now support the Federal Government's decision to apologise to indigenous people for past wrongs, a new poll shows.

The Galaxy survey, conducted for online activist group GetUp!, found the proportion of people in favour of saying sorry had jumped 13 points to 68 per cent, up from 55 per cent over the weekend of February 1-3.

The poll of 1100 respondents aged over 16 was taken at the weekend, after Prime Minister Kevin Rudd delivered the formal apology to the stolen generations in parliament last Wednesday.

It found the number of people who disagreed with the apology had fallen to just 22 per cent, down from 36 per cent earlier in the month.

"This is an unprecedented turnaround of opinion in such a short time," GetUp! executive director Brett Solomon said.

"It shows that bold leadership on indigenous affairs will be rewarded, and that 'sorry' was indeed a healing moment for all Australians - the process of reconciliation has been breathed new life with this important first step".

The poll proved that saying "sorry" was a concrete step towards reconciliation, Mr Solomon said.

Among those who supported the apology, the percentage who strongly agreed had increased from 31 to 41 per cent in the latest poll, the survey found.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,23231406-5001028,00.html

antman said:
And yet some here think 90% disagree. Living in denial?

antman,
just the ravings of a red neck minority – irrelevant laggards.

Wasn’t that a great day! So moving.
I wonder how many non indigenous aussies felt a connection to our indigenous brothers and sisters like they never had before.

Hard to imagine now how that juvenile foot stamping racist refusal to say ‘sorry’ persisted so long past its used by date, isn’t it?
Good speech Kev!

glantone said:
Wasn’t that a great day! So moving.
I wonder how many non indigenous aussies felt a connection to our indigenous brothers and sisters like they never had before.
Good speech Kev!

The only movement I had listening to Rudd's "sorry" was a bowel movement :hihi

Glantone,
Do you feel this "moving" as well?

Teen avoids jail over great-gran bashing
February 18, 2008 02:58pm
A TEENAGER who robbed then bashed a 75-year-old great-grandmother in her bed so she would not recognise him has avoided jail.
Judge David Parsons today sentenced Ashley Wayne Brooks, 19, to a two-year youth justice centre order and said his young age and slight stature were factors in the sentencing.
Brooks had pleaded guilty in the County Court to five charges including aggravated burglary and intentionally causing serious injury after breaking into Barbara Durea's housing commission flat in Traralgon on March 17.
Brooks, who was drunk and had broken into Mrs Durea's flat to steal money for more alcohol, left the elderly woman unconscious in a pool of blood.
She eventually managed to telephone her daughter for help and was flown to the Royal Melbourne Hospital. She was placed in an induced coma for 12 days. The attack left her with a dislocated jaw, broken nose, cut above her brow, bruising to her face and body and unable to open her right eye.
The court heard Brooks had sought to render his victim unconscious so she would no't recognise him.
"Your victim has suffered greatly as a result of your actions, both physically and emotionally," the judge said.
Judge Parsons said Brooks, whose girlfriend is expecting their first child, was a disadvantaged young Aboriginal man who was illiterate and effectively homeless.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,23232956-661,00.html