Sound the alarm series - Grand Final Coaches Box footage | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Sound the alarm series - Grand Final Coaches Box footage

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Think you are overlooking a small, yet quite important part of the game.

The players.
See above. Recruiting, pure luck. Everyone knows what everyone else knows and there are no secrets. It's just dumb luck if the ones you pick come good.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
That's a blunt but pretty accurate summary. And if you are lucky enough to get a group of them together that it clicks for then you do well.
What % of the tigers success do you ascribe to luck TBR?

I once thought it was a big factor in anyone’s success but the older I get the less % a factor I think it is

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
I see it as a guy trying to keep his crew invested in the game in case they can pull off a miracle.

Hardwick does similar things in the second quarter. In fact there are huge similarities with everything they both do, posing questions to assistants, managing the emotions in the box and reinforcing the pre-planned structural scenarios.

It's two very effective coaches in action.
Yeah but one's a twat.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
That's a blunt but pretty accurate summary. And if you are lucky enough to get a group of them together that it clicks for then you do well.
Let's see I wonder if there were any highly talented sides who didn't do well, or even highly talented sides who "did well", but not as well as others? Mmmmm, ummm, nah can't think of any. There's more to it than luck, but you know that.
I always thought Clarkson's Haw were 4-5 superstars then a bunch of scrubbers btw.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004

you know I love your work TBR but still can't agree with you on this.

Reactions: 1 user

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Scott took over a dynasty and has won zero flags (2011 was thompsons legacy)

Dimma took over the worst list since Fitzroy and created a dynasty.

Watching these clips you can see the clear difference between the 2 as leaders. Dimma is the most inspirational speaker of all coaches and can see why his players give everything for him.

Reactions: 10 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Scott took over a dynasty and has won zero flags (2011 was thompsons legacy)

Dimma took over the worst list since Fitzroy and created a dynasty.

Watching these clips you can see the clear difference between the 2 as leaders. Dimma is the most inspirational speaker of all coaches and can see why his players give everything for him.
Spot on Harry.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Dimma: “ok, they’re going to start taking it up the centre.”

cut to Scott:

”ok, let’s start taking it up the centre.”

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
Both coaches appeared tactically on par but Dimma to me sounded a lot more engaging when talking to his players.

Reactions: 3 users

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
He's the off-field leader of a football side, what do you want him to say?

"Don't even worry about watching this kick, we're stuffed boys, see you in the bar".
Maybe "If he kicks this we're back in it"

Just finding it smug to say "We'll win this" despite the tide going the other way.

But in saying that, nice to rub his smug face in it.

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
The only thing I’ll commend Salt for is his going into the Richmond box and congratulating Dimma and the boys. Other than that he can get stuffed!

Reactions: 3 users

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
The harder you work the luckier you get.

Reactions: 6 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
The harder you work the luckier you get.

yep. Compare the attitudes and professionalism of the Wallet era and the Dimma era and I'll tip that's a pretty big factor in why we are successful now and why we weren't then. Luck is a factor, maybe 10%. Sure, you get lucky with drafting to an extent, but look at our rookies. We are consistently good at finding diamonds in the rough that fit our style. That's not luck.

Reactions: 1 users