Sport: leave the religion out thanks. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Sport: leave the religion out thanks.

No one ever thanks the flying spaghetti monster.Very dissapointing.

Redfordologists are a pack of facists.

2 heavies wouldn't let me in to worship because i was wearing thongs.I tried to expalin they were my good pair but they wouldn't have a bar of it.

Pedants,the lot of them.

Tigers of Old said:
Whilst I'm not religious, I don't have an issue with it & I'm certainly not offended by it.

If we ever win a premiership again, I might even thank him myself. :eek:ld

Her! :hihi

evo said:
Redfordologists are a pack of facists.

2 heavies wouldn't let me in to worship because i was wearing thongs.I tried to expalin they were my good pair but they wouldn't have a bar of it.

Pedants,the lot of them.

Heavies ? Thongs on your feet ? You bloody idiot. That was a Buddhist Temple you were at. You'll know when you're at a Redfordologist Worship House. They are almost always located close to a TAB. The neon signs of my image on top of the building are unmistakeable too.

Redford said:
Legends of 1980 said:
Agree on most here. Also on tv shows where money is up for grabs. Why would god want people to win millions. It's not him that wants it, it's you. That's greed, one of the seven deadly sins I believe.
On sports, just once, I would love to see an atheist win it. I'm picturing the speech. "I just want to thank myself. I was good enough to do this on my own (or could add wife, coach etc). "

Hah hah hah….yeah that would be funny. I can see it now…

“Firstly, I’d like to thank myself for this victory. I got jack s. help from anybody be they living or spiritual. I did it it all myself. I worked my bum off, I planned everything myself, I didn’t listen to any crap from anyone. Thanks me !”

Hah hah hah hah

terry wallaces speech after we win a granny

Anduril said:
Anyone read "The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins?
http://www.houghtonmifflinbooks.com/catalog/titledetail.cfm?titleNumber=689776

Only read bits so far but it is brilliant and quite funny at times.

Yes, I was given it for Christmas. It was a very good read.

Disspointing from Dawkins if true-I havn't read his book yet.

Keep fighting the good fight Senor' Bear.

Ramen

I'd like to see religion left out of politics too. Howard, Rudd, Abbott and Costello et al, all kneeling before the almighty, trying to justify their babble.

And as for George 'God made me do it' Bush; he can rot in hell.

lefty said:
I'd like to see religion left out of politics too. Howard, Rudd, Abbott and Costello et al, all kneeling before the almighty, trying to justify their babble.

And as for George 'God made me do it' Bush; he can rot in hell.

Agreed, religion has no place in politics. The running of the country shouldn't be influenced by millenia-old myths.

I take some comfort in having some leaders with religious morality in their government, if for no other reason than the fact that the great majority of Australians still acknowlege an affiliation to Christianity through baptism, marriage and bruial. You just can't say that religion or religiousness (and for the record I don't believe any politician should accept the specific direction from a church over his own conscience or what he considers the public interest) has no place in politics when it still maintains a place in society overall. Politics is not some special relm seperate from the people that it serves. It is an extension of society, it is part of society. As Abraham Lincoln said, "Government of the people, for the people, by the people'. And personally I don't want every politician out of touch with that ethos (whilst we still remain a predominantly Christian country) anymore than I want judges for example out of touch with society when they give slap on the wrists for repeat drink drivers or rapists.

You just can't have simply agnostics, atheists or anti-religious people running the country (it's not practical, it's not fair and there are several examples in which one can use in the 20 century where one could argue it is in fact dangerous) and when so much about govenrment is determining what is right, of course politicians are going to naturally use as a reference point what they learnt as private citizens in terms of morality. And that for vast numbers of people still largely derives from religion.

As for religion in sport (which is really the point of this thread), I actually do find the speeches at the end a bit tedious (although to be honest I find most speeches tedious at the end of competitions and as a rule turn off). I do like Matthew Hayden crossing himself though when he scores a century. His Catholic faith obviously means a lot to him and crossing himself allows him to bear witness without getting in anyones face too much. It's a small price for any atheist or agnostic to pay.

Tygrys said:
And personally I don't want every politician out of touch with that ethos (whilst we still remain a predominantly Christian country)

IMO - Religion has become more out of touch with the modern day Australian Ethos than the politicians - an increasing number of Australians these days are having naming ceromonies rather than baptisms - Civil Marriage Celebrants rather than church weddings - and non-denominational funerals rather than the church services.

The exception to these is the older people in our community who had their childhood during the days when the church did rule the state and thus were brainwashed all those years ago. Even some of these aged people are seeing through what the Church has to offer. As one said to me recently what right do they have to tell me that to talk to God I have to go through them - I have been talking to God directly for years!

And another - "the church has got it wrong - it should not be a museum for saints - it should be an emergency ward for lost souls!"

Tygrys said:
You just can't have simply agnostics, atheists or anti-religious people running the country (it's not practical, it's not fair and there are several examples in which one can use in the 20 century where one could argue it is in fact dangerous) and when so much about govenrment is determining what is right, of course politicians are going to naturally use as a reference point what they learnt as private citizens in terms of morality. And that for vast numbers of people still largely derives from religion.

I could suggest it is not fair to have the narrow mindedness of the church and its vastly different interpretations of the bible running the country either.

And as for church/religious morality as a reference point for politicians - I think you will find in this day and age politicians use only the number of votes an issue may gain or cost as a reference point - particularly our astute Prime Minister!

And it is my opinion politicians who partake in religious ceremonies like Peter Costello and Tony Abbott do so to increase their public profile more than to sate their faith.

Your post has a 1950s Australia aroma about it - exactly back to where our Prime Minister wants to take us! And that was a great era - Korean War - Communist under every bed - Petrov Affair - the origins of the now failed DLP (a church run political party if there ever was one) - a womans place was barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen whilst the man of the house brought home the bacon and his word was God in his own houeshold. And the masses just followed their Church and political leaders without question.

Australians are now too well educated for that - and now we vote through our hip pocket - this is the era of "whats in it for me" - the era of individual greed and instant gratification! The Traditional Religions have no place in such an era!

Ive always disliked St Kilda.

What sort of name is Kilda, must be foreign?
What was he the saint of anyway?

Michael said:
Ive always disliked St Kilda.

What sort of name is Kilda, must be foreign?
What was he the saint of anyway?

I think he was the saint of blonde party boys!

Ready said:
Evo and I both do a great karaoke rendition of the Dead Kennedys' 'Holiday in Cambodia' :nodyes

Don't tell Liverpool, he'll have u deported, Jello.

lefty said:
Ready said:
Evo and I both do a great karaoke rendition of the Dead Kennedys' 'Holiday in Cambodia' :nodyes

Don't tell Liverpool, he'll have u deported, Jello.

Liverpool doesn't like the Dead Kennedys?
Lefty I'll give you $35 a kilo for your avatar