Standing on the mark/50m penalty | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Standing on the mark/50m penalty

Sep 2, 2022
I’m probably repeating someone else but……..

This is so against the natural instincts of the players.
It is utterly ridiculous in a tight, hard fought game where players are putting their bodies on the line constantly, that these 50m SOFT penalties are being paid.
Who cares if the man on the mark moves sideways, as long as he doesn’t creep forward?
Destroying the game and turning people off.

Reactions: 13 users
I’m probably repeating someone else but……..

This is so against the natural instincts of the players.
It is utterly ridiculous in a tight, hard fought game where players are putting their bodies on the line constantly, that these 50m SOFT penalties are being paid.
Who cares if the man on the mark moves sideways, as long as he doesn’t creep forward?
Destroying the game and turning people off.
If the umpires continue adjudicating this way, at least make it a 25m penalty. 50m is just too much of a penalty for something so insignificant.

Reactions: 3 users
At times they yell at the player on the mark 13 times to get them back to the right spot. Others they blow the whistle for a bee's knob. Interpretations vary too widely for such a penalty. But in the end it's just a poo rule. Get rid of it.

Reactions: 5 users
At times they yell at the player on the mark 13 times to get them back to the right spot. Others they blow the whistle for a bee's knob. Interpretations vary too widely for such a penalty. But in the end it's just a poo rule. Get rid of it.
Imagine a grand final being decided by a player on the mark moving his foot by an inch?

Reactions: 1 user
The “stand” rule is the single worst rule in the game. The sooner they get rid of it, the better.
Remind me again what it was supposed to do….increase scoring that’s right, that’s not worked! Get rid of it ffs!

Reactions: 5 users
20.4 DISPOSAL BY A DEFENDING PLAYER – WITHIN NINE METRES Where a Player from the Defending Team is awarded a Mark or Free Kick within the shaded area shown in Diagram 5. Nine-metre line
20.4.1 Setting the Mark A field Umpire will set The Mark where the Nine Metre Line intersects the direct line between the location of the Mark or Free Kick and the centre of the Defending Team’s Goal Line.

To my way of thinking the umpire must set the mark first, then he can award a50m penalty. Not just pay the 50m because of a bias against the team.

Reactions: 2 users
20.4 DISPOSAL BY A DEFENDING PLAYER – WITHIN NINE METRES Where a Player from the Defending Team is awarded a Mark or Free Kick within the shaded area shown in Diagram 5. Nine-metre line
20.4.1 Setting the Mark A field Umpire will set The Mark where the Nine Metre Line intersects the direct line between the location of the Mark or Free Kick and the centre of the Defending Team’s Goal Line.

To my way of thinking the umpire must set the mark first, then he can award a50m penalty. Not just pay the 50m because of a bias against the team.
Exactly, the player standing on the mark only has to blink and gets pinged for a 50 metre penalty, whereas the player with ball can move metres off his line before the ump calls play on. **** that really annoys me.

Reactions: 1 users
Once I saw this title thread my blood started boiling.

Stupidest *smile* rule ever *smile* invented by these dumb smug afl pricks they can all go and get *smile* with their sycophantic media support of its introduction.

If Richmond didn’t exist I would stop watching afl because of the *smile* this rule causes. Just loathe it.

Go back to two umpires for consistency and massively cap interchange or reduce bench to 2 to slow it down.

Get rid of the stand rule.

Pay 50 if someone goes over the mark.

Pay a free if players get scragged heading into a contest.

Pay a free if players shovel(throw) the ball.

Suspend players for deliberately causing high contact to themselves and/or staging for frees.

Have true accountability for umpires to make it a respected position.

Reactions: 3 users
There was ALREADY a time wasting rule!! I'm sure many remember..... who was it... Kernahan? Had the first time wasting free enforced. Simple.... by the umps discretion if you have wasted time free kick. But no. Can't be that simple can it.

Look at the rules they just love enforcing, and look at the rules they don't. The rules they don't - THROWING / HTB - are obviously thought of as quaintly getting in the way of SPEED for speeds sake.

Reactions: 1 user
You can tell the ump bias by how quick they are to pay a 50 against us. Rarely do they tell our players to go back on the mark, it's a quick 50 whereas they give the oppo ample opportunity to get back on the mark. Where was Bolton's 'Get Back' instruction?

Reactions: 1 users