Standing on the mark/50m penalty | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Standing on the mark/50m penalty

Exactly, the player standing on the mark only has to blink and gets pinged for a 50 metre penalty, whereas the player with ball can move metres off his line before the ump calls play on. **** that really annoys me.
Unless it’s a Richmond player. If we so much as twitch it’s play on.

Reactions: 1 users
You can tell the ump bias by how quick they are to pay a 50 against us. Rarely do they tell our players to go back on the mark, it's a quick 50 whereas they give the oppo ample opportunity to get back on the mark. Where was Bolton's 'Get Back' instruction?
I'm not a fan of the stand rule, but Bolton's was blatant.

Reactions: 1 user
I thought it was a 50-50 at best. I don’t believe Dangerfield or Daicos or Neale or Cripps (the list just goes on) would’ve been pinged for it. Pretty sure Marlion would’ve though.

They won't get rid of that rule. It would eliminate about 5 different ways to pay free kicks against Richmond.... This rule was originally created to punish our club wholly and solely.. They just interprete the rule to pay 50s against us as the please. For Collingwood and others it never gets paid. It's fecking disgrace but our Woke soft club won't call it out in public.

Reactions: 2 users
I wasn't that annoyed at the 50 Shai gave away. I was very very annoyed at the fact that Kyle Langford (I think) did the exact same thing when Ben Miller took a mark in the back pocket and wasn't even asked to move back let alone giving away a 50.

Consistency please!

I wasn't that annoyed at the 50 Shai gave away. I was very very annoyed at the fact that Kyle Langford (I think) did the exact same thing when Ben Miller took a mark in the back pocket and wasn't even asked to move back let alone giving away a 50.

Consistency please!
I think Shai thought he was on the mark. Ump only needed to ask for 1m or whatever. If some umps ask, they should all give the player a chance to get on the mark. Ridiculous penalty.

I just hate how the game has turned into a gotcha for frees and 50s. So many instance where payers standing around trying to direct umps attention at a player shuffling a foot or doing something wrong rather than just head in the moment playing. It looks so boooring. Not to mention that games are shaped this way now and players are using this to get competitive advantage rather than just smacking the other team on skill and merit. It is honestly the worst and making me not want to watch the game

Reactions: 4 users
Like so many of these newish rules, it is open to interpretation depending on the umpire and the team allegedly transgressing. About the most stupid rule the AFL have managed to think up and that is saying something

Like so many of these newish rules, it is open to interpretation depending on the umpire and the team allegedly transgressing. About the most stupid rule the AFL have managed to think up and that is saying something
The sad part, the afl is not likely to roll back one of its rules. Add to that the post stand resurgent sides such as Pies, Blues and to a lesser extent Dons etc with large supporter bases likely don't think the rule is that bad. Outside of here on open socials, there are some that actually strongly support it.

Does anyone know where to get acerage score per game stats? Has scoring started improving yet?

I think Shai thought he was on the mark. Ump only needed to ask for 1m or whatever. If some umps ask, they should all give the player a chance to get on the mark. Ridiculous penalty.
Ralph-Smith had put his arms in the air to stand the mark. Shai, who wasn't in the marking contest, ran past Ralph-Smith and then stopped and tried to man the mark as well. It was always going to be 50 metres

The sad part, the afl is not likely to roll back one of its rules. Add to that the post stand resurgent sides such as Pies, Blues and to a lesser extent Dons etc with large supporter bases likely don't think the rule is that bad. Outside of here on open socials, there are some that actually strongly support it.

Does anyone know where to get acerage score per game stats? Has scoring started improving yet?

Not really . . . it is always hard to look at the average scores part way through the season, this year so far the average is 83 points per team per game, but we'll see how it goes.

To the end of 2023 it looks like this:

Ave Scores 1965-2023.jpg

DS

It’s not just that the man on the mark cannot move. The player with ball doesn’t even have to go back behind the mark. Can be 5m wide of the “line”. So can drill a pass two feet off the ground. Can Take off even further off the line. Absolutely makes the player on the mark redundant.

Did you see they measured some of the 50m penalties and they were actually up to 65m?
Well we all know the maggots can't get the not 15 disposal rule right and they often *smile* up the ran to far rule as well so why should anyone expect them to be able to guess 50 to 65 metres accurately? Without a tape measure and an assistant to hold the end of it, they just go yeah / nah close enough n if it's Richmondy we'd better go a few metres more just to make sure we don't short change the oppo.

I just hate how the game has turned into a gotcha for frees and 50s. So many instance where payers standing around trying to direct umps attention at a player shuffling a foot or doing something wrong rather than just head in the moment playing. It looks so boooring. Not to mention that games are shaped this way now and players are using this to get competitive advantage rather than just smacking the other team on skill and merit. It is honestly the worst and making me not want to watch the game
It is bloody hard to score a goal, there are maybe 25 a game these days. The thing that I can't bear watching is when a team gets a goal for something so trivial as a brush of the shoulder when manning the mark , one metre on the mark on the wing, a minor scuffle 80 metres off the ball or not handing the ball back to the umpire.

It is so illogical and often changes the complexion of a game. It is one of the major reasons I can't watch full games of footy that don't include the Tigers.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
It is bloody hard to score a goal, there are maybe 25 a game these days. The thing that I can't bear watching is when a team gets a goal for something so trivial as a brush of the shoulder when manning the mark , one metre on the mark on the wing, a minor scuffle 80 metres off the ball or not handing the ball back to the umpire.

It is so illogical and often changes the complexion of a game. It is one of the major reasons I can't watch full games of footy that don't include the Tigers.
Yep it's like getting sent to jail for 4 years for leaving a parking zone area 3 seconds after your ticket expired, but a drink driver who killed someone getting off because they were having a tough week mentally.

Spot on. It's waay too open to interpretation & is such a big punishment for something so miniscule.
Can easily change results and the sceptic says that's exactly how the AFL want it. Manipulate, manipulate..

Reactions: 3 users