State Government

DavidSSS

Tiger Matchwinner
Dec 11, 2017
784
15
Melbourne
Some interesting upper house results, a few regions with 2 seats going to minor parties. Libs got smashed, 7 seats - what a mess. I suppose the Nats got 4 but still, very bad result for them. Labor won the election convincingly but still have no majority in the upper house, but of a check there and reflects almost 43% of first preferences in the Lower House, but 39% in the Upper House. Just shows people do think about their votes if there are a fair proportion voting differently in the upper house, now they need to be thinking about their preferences too - above the line preferenceing is essential.

DS
 

joegarra

Tiger Matchwinner
Jun 27, 2013
960
0
Werribee South
Have to disagree, her voting pattern earned her the nickname of the 6th Green. Presents very well and will initially engage until you raise a point contrary to her stand and suddenly silence.
 

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is on board.
Aug 21, 2007
6,020
0
Ireland
joegarra said:
Have to disagree, her voting pattern earned her the nickname of the 6th Green. Presents very well and will initially engage until you raise a point contrary to her stand and suddenly silence.
How did you finish up Doc?
 

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
5,795
28
DavidSSS said:
Some interesting upper house results, a few regions with 2 seats going to minor parties. Libs got smashed, 7 seats - what a mess. I suppose the Nats got 4 but still, very bad result for them. Labor won the election convincingly but still have no majority in the upper house, but of a check there and reflects almost 43% of first preferences in the Lower House, but 39% in the Upper House. Just shows people do think about their votes if there are a fair proportion voting differently in the upper house, now they need to be thinking about their preferences too - above the line preferenceing is essential.

DS
That's peduals a good outcome - I don't think it is good for the one party to have a majority across both houses regardless of who it is
 

royce67

Tiger Cub
Jun 4, 2008
90
1
Hobart
Oh dear, the rats are deserting the ship already... How long till Derryn changes his his name to Pauline...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-12-18/derryn-hinch-justice-party-loses-catherine-cumming-victoria/10631928
 

22nd Man

Tiger Champion
Aug 29, 2011
4,370
23
Essex Heights
Labor already complacent. Jacinta Allan was interviewed on TV about the Punt Rd Swan St works and wasn't wearing hi vis or a hard hat.
 

K3

Tiger Champion
Oct 9, 2006
4,296
3
22nd Man said:
Labor already complacent. Jacinta Allan was interviewed on TV about the Punt Rd Swan St works and wasn't wearing hi vis or a hard hat.
*Gasps*
 

joegarra

Tiger Matchwinner
Jun 27, 2013
960
0
Werribee South
I spent a lot of time at early voting in Werribee and the Derryn Hinch lady stood near me, and most of the time she said - upper house Derryn Hinch, hardly ever mentioned Catherine Cumming. Catherine appeared briefly for a couple of hours one day. The firm impression I got was that voters were voting for the party not Catherine.
 

Michael

Tiger Champion
Nov 30, 2004
4,324
1
joegarra said:
ALP 52, me 26, Libs 22. Preference distribution stopped as someone hit 50. Guesstimates are something like 57-43, so took about 9% off ALP.
At least you'll get your deposit back.
You did well, bloody hard as a non celebrity independent
 

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
21,318
45
Dan still refusing to build EWL even with $4b of federal money.

“I don’t break my work so he (Morrison) can keep his”

Seems like a good reason not to build it........
 

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
19,066
21
Melbourne
tigertim said:
Dan still refusing to build EWL even with $4b of federal money.

“I don’t break my work so he (Morrison) can keep his”

Seems like a good reason not to build it........
Andrews has a mandate not to build it. its time the federal government acccepted this and released the money for other projects instead of holding Victoria to ransom.

But in saying that, its probably time both sides put their heads together and reached a compromise in the best intrests of all. While the EW Link shouldn't be built, maybe some of the $4 billion could be spent on upgrading the corridor between the eastern freeway and the zoo (eg. extra lanes, a couple of underpasses, etc) and the rest is released for the metro tunnel.
 

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
5,519
39
tigertim said:
Dan still refusing to build EWL even with $4b of federal money.

“I don’t break my work so he (Morrison) can keep his”

Seems like a good reason not to build it........
Personal viewpoint is we have State and Federal governments for a reason. The states are best served to decide what they want to do infrastructure wise. Matters of federal policies are for Canberra but feel the states should get to do as they plan not how the feds want them to. Ie the states request funding for set projects not the feds stating that they want a different project.
 

tigerman

Nank should grow a mullet.
Mar 17, 2003
8,435
74
mrposhman said:
Personal viewpoint is we have State and Federal governments for a reason. The states are best served to decide what they want to do infrastructure wise. Matters of federal policies are for Canberra but feel the states should get to do as they plan not how the feds want them to. Ie the states request funding for set projects not the feds stating that they want a different project.
That's how it should be.

After having been just voted in ScoMo wont be too forthcoming, he'll do what's best for the Victorian Liberal party.
 

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
6,400
19
mrposhman said:
Personal viewpoint is we have State and Federal governments for a reason. The states are best served to decide what they want to do infrastructure wise. Matters of federal policies are for Canberra but feel the states should get to do as they plan not how the feds want them to. Ie the states request funding for set projects not the feds stating that they want a different project.
Yeah agreed as well.

There is one change I would make. And that’s water being a national resource and not being state run.