State Government | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

State Government

It's interesting - I know when I go to my local Cafe its packed out in a way it didn't used to be.

Same with mine. Feels like every local cafe is pumping. I hope the city bounces back. It's so lifeless. Same with Southbank.

Reactions: 1 user
I think the state government have had a really bad few weeks. Extremely disappointed with the Melton/Wyndhamvale rail cancellations. I think the SRL is a great legacy project, but it should not be at the expense of other rail projects.

However, what is this parliamentary committee gonna achieve??? Lets imagine Dan appears and they ask him questions...

Q: Dan, why did you cancel the Comm Games?

A: Too Expensive.

Q: Why did you sign up in the first place?

A: They came to us and we agreed as long as it wasn't too cost prohibitive.

Q: What is the cause of the cost blowouts?

A: PWC got their numbers wrong.

Q: How much comp will you pay?

A: Can't reveal that as its commercial in confidence.

Q: Err, Umm, Hmm... I've got nothing more.
Why are we likely to have to pay compensation?

Why was visit Victoria lobbying for the Commonwealth games?

And Dan Andrews won’t even appear and we both know it.

The Melton rail cancellation, another election promise broken.

“commitments are always evolving over time” Was how the minister put it, Utopia like.
It hasn't been cancelled.

Trust me.

Why are we likely to have to pay compensation?

Why was visit Victoria lobbying for the Commonwealth games?

And Dan Andrews won’t even appear and we both know it.
A cynical person might suggest that Dan bid for the 3rd rate event as there was an election coming up. That Dan wanted to shore up votes in the key regional markets of Geelong, Bendigo and Ballarat.

“Hey we’ll give you the Commonwealth Games guys? It’ll be awesome guys. It won’t cost too much; only a couple of billion. We’ll ignore all the ready made world class facilities in the greatest sporting city in the world and build all of this awesome stuff in the regions. Vote for me!”

A year later. “Too expensive now; sorry.” (But I have your votes now; so long suckers!)

Lucky I’m not a cynical man…………..

The Teflon coated man strikes again.

Reactions: 3 users
Dan, or technology that's enabled people to work from home as if they were sitting in the office? A technology that was rapidly deployed everywhere 3 years ago?
Funny how the same tech hasn’t ruined other cities in Australia.

Funny how the same tech hasn’t ruined other cities in Australia.
The ones that weren't forced to keep operating from home a lot longer than Melbourne?

People don't want to deal with 2 hours plus of travel everyday when they can do the same at work at home. This is something all major cities around the world are dealing with. The cties where there is a high concentration of commercial buildings only, like Melbourne, are all struggling. Other cities where there is a larger proportion of residential, cities where apartment living is the norm, aren't being hit as bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
The ones that weren't forced to keep operating from home a lot longer than Melbourne?
Well there's the crux of it.

There's always an excuse for why Melbourne is recovering differently than the rest of the world.

The state of both parties in this state is so bad.

There's always an excuse for why Melbourne is recovering differently than the rest of the world.
It's not though, as I pointed out. Plenty of major cities around the world are in the same boat as Melbourne.

A cynical person might suggest that Dan bid for the 3rd rate event as there was an election coming up. That Dan wanted to shore up votes in the key regional markets of Geelong, Bendigo and Ballarat.

“Hey we’ll give you the Commonwealth Games guys? It’ll be awesome guys. It won’t cost too much; only a couple of billion. We’ll ignore all the ready made world class facilities in the greatest sporting city in the world and build all of this awesome stuff in the regions. Vote for me!”

A year later. “Too expensive now; sorry.” (But I have your votes now; so long suckers!)

Lucky I’m not a cynical man…………..

The Teflon coated man strikes again.
Because this one is going to hurt politically. I think it's a sign the end is coming. The Libs need to get their *smile* in order, and Andrews will hand them the next election.
The weakening financial environment and several big projects due for completion this cycle (which doesn't look like it will happen on time or budget)...I predict a few years of bad news coming up.

Because this one is going to hurt politically. I think it's a sign the end is coming. The Libs need to get their *smile* in order, and Andrews will hand them the next election.
The weakening financial environment and several big projects due for completion this cycle (which doesn't look like it will happen on time or budget)...I predict a few years of bad news coming up.
Are the Libs capable of getting their *smile* together? They are a mess in Victoria; everywhere really. It’s a real shame we haven’t had a decent opposition to in Victoria in Andrew’s tenure. He has just done whatever he wants; that is not a good thing for any constituency.

I had hopes that Pesutto might make a difference. He hasn’t landed a blow and is continually putting out fires in his own party.

Are the Libs capable of getting their *smile* together? They are a mess in Victoria; everywhere really. It’s a real shame we haven’t had a decent opposition to in Victoria in Andrew’s tenure. He has just done whatever he wants; that is not a good thing for any constituency.

I had hopes that Pesutto might make a difference. He hasn’t landed a blow and is continually putting out fires in his own party.
I don't know the answer to that question. I'm a centre voter, although tend to lean left (although these days, left feels a lot further away than it used to). I agree with no viable opposition, Andrews can do whatever he wants and that's not good for anyone. I'd always want a high calibre opposition to keep government in check.
Whilst Andrews has been building infrastructure etc, he's largely been making the state better overall. Net impact. But he's acting untouchable right now, heading toward Paul Keating 1990s land. He needs to step aside I think, otherwise he'll become the political version of Radiohead.

I don't know the answer to that question. I'm a centre voter, although tend to lean left (although these days, left feels a lot further away than it used to). I agree with no viable opposition, Andrews can do whatever he wants and that's not good for anyone. I'd always want a high calibre opposition to keep government in check.
Whilst Andrews has been building infrastructure etc, he's largely been making the state better overall. Net impact. But he's acting untouchable right now, heading toward Paul Keating 1990s land. He needs to step aside I think, otherwise he'll become the political version of Radiohead.
Not sure he’s making the state better. These infrastructure projects are at risk turning into white elephants due to massive deal cost massive cost overruns. The Westgate tunnel is an abject disaster. The Suburban Rail Loop was gonna cost $25 billion and a few years later it hasn’t started and is projected to cost over $100b. Who’s running the numbers? Cheech and Chong? The airport rail link has been delayed indefinitely. It is a disgrace that the largest city in Australia does not have an airport rail link. *smile* backwater Brisbane has one!

State debt is more the QLD & NSW combined. It’s starting to look like the rustbelt Cain/Kirner years.

Last edited:
To be honest, from an infra point of view, the feedback I'd had was that we didn't have enough patronage to justify an airport link. It was a tactic by Scomo to try stuff Andrews it up (they made it an election piece, and said they'd only fund it if Andrews did). Andews had to commit $5b to a project we didn't really need from a patronage point of view. Sure, from a "the Jones's have one, so should we". But the patronage was catered to by others.

Westgate I'm concerned about. Suburban rail loop we need. The main network has to cut it's dependence on being a radial/spoke type arrangement.
Can't get much more into the city without significantly changing what's there. The stuff is absolutely visionary, yeah it'll cost a lot. But no big city in the
world goes without those types of rail systems.

We have larger state debt than NSW, because Scomo and team gave a disproportionate amount of funding to NSW and not Vic. We don't get our fair share down here, which is something we should all be angry about.

Reactions: 1 users
To be honest, from an infra point of view, the feedback I'd had was that we didn't have enough patronage to justify an airport link. It was a tactic by Scomo to try stuff Andrews it up (they made it an election piece, and said they'd only fund it if Andrews did). Andews had to commit $5b to a project we didn't really need from a patronage point of view. Sure, from a "the Jones's have one, so should we". But the patronage was catered to by others.

Westgate I'm concerned about. Suburban rail loop we need. The main network has to cut it's dependence on being a radial/spoke type arrangement.
Can't get much more into the city without significantly changing what's there. The stuff is absolutely visionary, yeah it'll cost a lot. But no big city in the
world goes without those types of rail systems.

We have larger state debt than NSW, because Scomo and team gave a disproportionate amount of funding to NSW and not Vic. We don't get our fair share down here, which is something we should all be angry about.

Agree on most of this but I reckon we need an airport rail link desperately. I can't see how we don't have the demand given the Melb-Sydney air route is one of the busiest in the world (6th busiest according to wikipedia). Getting in to the airport when it is busy is insane. The airport was built back when freeways were seen to be the answer, they even thought a freeway would be decent way to get 150,000 people to and from VFL Park when it was originally planned.

One thing that really does irritate me about the airport link is that it is always put forward as a train line between the airport and the city, and only between the airport and the city. Look at the trains at many European airports, they are on a train line (or train lines, many of them) between the city and other places, with the airport as one stop on the line. A much better solution than just a dedicated line between the airport and the city.

DS

Reactions: 3 users
Agree on most of this but I reckon we need an airport rail link desperately. I can't see how we don't have the demand given the Melb-Sydney air route is one of the busiest in the world (6th busiest according to wikipedia). Getting in to the airport when it is busy is insane. The airport was built back when freeways were seen to be the answer, they even thought a freeway would be decent way to get 150,000 people to and from VFL Park when it was originally planned.

One thing that really does irritate me about the airport link is that it is always put forward as a train line between the airport and the city, and only between the airport and the city. Look at the trains at many European airports, they are on a train line (or train lines, many of them) between the city and other places, with the airport as one stop on the line. A much better solution than just a dedicated line between the airport and the city.

DS

VFL Park was planned to have a railway station on its doorstep, but the various state governments reneged on the deal.

We haven’t seen the last thing cancelled.

We are also just starting cuts to admin based jobs in the state public sector. The problem with that is they will just be voluntarily redundancy and those taking redundancy will inevitably be some of the better people . Seen it all before.

I see a treasury under enormous pressure atm and a Treasurer who is making a lot of decisions without worrying about consequences. Lots of things are being cut that are not in the public domain. Pallas is a very ordinary Treasurer imo.

Andrews is showing all the signs of a politician drowning in hubris. His downplaying of IBAC and the ex head Redlich is terrible and reeks of arrogance.

The opposition has slightly improved, they have gone from clueless to ineffective.

It’s going well in Victoria

Reactions: 4 users
This article conveys a potential very serious problem for finances in health.
There is a lot of disquiet about junior doctors and this case. The statements about levels of overtime are largely hyperbolic outliers. Overtime for junior doctors is rostered and paid and sometimes unrostered and when unrostered it is mostly paid. The only time it is not is when it is not claimed, and some doctors report being pressured not to claim.
There are enormous numbers of other staff who are looking at this and thinking why is this only about doctors? Lots of other staff, both clinical and admin based, have worked enormous unpaid hours. During the pandemic people running hospitals were working ridiculous hours and getting little or no overtime.
There are a lot of comments in the system about who could be next and plenty of mixed feelings about the junior doctor claims

https://www.theage.com.au/healthcar...landmark-wage-theft-case-20230812-p5dvyg.html

DS
Yep Melbourne to Sydney route has always been one of the busiest in the world; as high as top 3 pre COVID. It is ridiculous that the largest city in Australia (or soon to be) doesn’t have an airport rail link; one that can serve suburbs along the way.

We haven’t seen the last thing cancelled.

We are also just starting cuts to admin based jobs in the state public sector. The problem with that is they will just be voluntarily redundancy and those taking redundancy will inevitably be some of the better people . Seen it all before.

I see a treasury under enormous pressure atm and a Treasurer who is making a lot of decisions without worrying about consequences. Lots of things are being cut that are not in the public domain. Pallas is a very ordinary Treasurer imo.

Andrews is showing all the signs of a politician drowning in hubris. His downplaying of IBAC and the ex head Redlich is terrible and reeks of arrogance.

The opposition has slightly improved, they have gone from clueless to ineffective.

It’s going well in Victoria
Good post. Pallas is a complete imbecile and way out of his depth. Andrew’s is an arrogant *smile* who it is looking like will leave the state in disarray.

Reactions: 1 users