State Government | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

State Government

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
MD Jazz said:
Of course it exposed bad ethics and criminal behaviour. And those in charge should be punished.

But there’s plenty of law breakers every day lodging falsified tax returns and such. I’d imagine 90% of PRE posters have broken the law and ripped off their fellow taxpayers. And probably done it for years too. Actually 90% is probably conservative.

point?

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Ridley said:
Agree with that. The Victorian Liberal Party is pathetic. Kennett undoubtedly rubbed people up the wrong way but at least he did things. They’ve had no one since he left. Baillieu fell in only because Victorians were sick of Labor after 11 years. He was so hopeless and anaemic that he got the arse without even seeing out his term. Then they managed to get booted after one term which is very rare in Australian politics. Just shows how poor they are.

Not rare anymore. Campbell Newman QLD, landslide in because ALP had gotten stale and were doing a crap job, reduced labour to a basketball team, everyone said 3 terms minimum. Landslided back out again next election. Nobody like likes far right policies, at least not enough people to hold power. All Labor has to do is be mediocre and they will get elected. Its an indigtement on the system, but there it is.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Ian4 said:
Great day for Victoria. We have said no to fear mongering politics. Let that be a lesson to the Liberals nationally

I'll catch up with the rest of the comments in this thread later, but felt i had to respond to this.

I have to say i feel exactly the opposite. It was great to see him make menton of how progressive Victoria is and the importance of the union movement.

And looking towards the future, I'd like like to see him be more bold with his huge majority by stepping it up in social progressive policies.

We now get to look forward new anti wage theft laws and industrial manslaughter. Free dental for kids is also fantastic.

But the big ticket item for me is to get us on a quicker road to decriminalising drugs. Many countries have already legalised pot. Its happening way to slowly here.
I am not anti trade unionism but I am vehemently anti some of the trade unions we have. Some don’t actually care about the workers they only care about fees, some have no interest in working with employers on a partnership they only care about some non existent class war and some are just straight out thugs.

In my view there is a massive difference between what unions should do and why they need to exist with the way a lot of them actually behave

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
tigersnake said:

Posters talk about engaging in criminal behaviour when most do it. Most judge govts, corporations to different standards than themselves. Many want either govt to provide them with income or business to give them a job. Many think nothing of the risks businesses take.

No real point other than if you analyse your own behaviour it wouldn’t be much different to the organisations you decry. Just the scale is different.

Anyway congrats to Dan the man, let’s hope he continues to get things done.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
Sintiger said:
I am not anti trade unionism but I am vehemently anti some of the trade unions we have. Some don’t actually care about the workers they only care about fees, some have no interest in working with employers on a partnership they only care about some non existent class war and some are just straight out thugs.

In my view there is a massive difference between what unions should do and why they need to exist with the way a lot of them actually behave

Sin you and I have a very similar point of view, I agree with this entirely.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Sintiger said:

100% spot on Sin.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
spook said:
Unfortunately Shorten is the next PM, but fortunately Labor is the next government. Better people, better talent, better policies, better for the country.

That’s not always the case Spook. But it probably is right now. Still the ALP has it’s fair share of imbeciles as well; starting with the leader.

Hopefully the Liberal party gets it’s *smile* together so we can have genuine choice of two parties of reasonable quality in the years to come. But I have extreme doubts on both sides.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Ridley said:
That’s not always the case Spook. But it probably is right now. Still the ALP has it’s fair share of imbeciles as well; starting with the leader.

Hopefully the Liberal party gets it’s sh!t together so we can have genuine choice of two parties of reasonable quality in the years to come. But I have extreme doubts on both sides.

I reckon the libs are gone or going going gone as a party - they will split at some stage as philosophically they are split down the middle. History shows when the minorities regularly get 25 -30% of the vote it means one of the big parties explode.

With Shorten, my only worry is that he plays politics first and policy comes second - always leads to dumb decisions. I am not confident he can break out of this mold.

Politics is not in a good place at the moment - here or in many other countries for that matter and requires a lot of work to fix it.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Sintiger said:

I agree too. Its like any large scale organisational or business sector, banks, agriculture, mining, some are a bit dodgey, some are a lot dodgey, some are a bit lazy, some take their eye off the ball. But because powerful interests are universally against unions we hear about the lesser aspects of the Unions a lot more than the rest.

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
I see Pre's Joe Garra did very well (21% primary) in Werribee. Congrats Joe. If you are reading can you give us an update on whether libs finish third there.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
lamb22 said:
I see Pre's Joe Garra did very well (21% primary) in Werribee. Congrats Joe. If you are reading can you give us an update on whether libs finish third there.

Yeah he has done well.

Disappointed to read that Fiona Patten might be turfed out.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Ridley said:

Hopefully the Liberal party gets it’s sh!t together so we can have genuine choice of two parties of reasonable quality in the years to come. But I have extreme doubts on both sides.
No, it's not always the case, but it certainly is now. I can't think of a single person I would describe as gifted or even highly intelligent in the federal parliamentary Liberal Party. They have no talent. And to disagree with snake, it's not an indictment on the system, it's an indictment on the cynical, nasty, lazy, negative, greedy, short-sighted, opportunistic, dog-whistling imagination-free appeal to the worst in people the Libs have undertaken ever since Howard. Why would anyone with a brain and a heart who lent to the right associate themselves with a pack of such dopey cowards, beholden to their masters Murdoch and the miners?

Where is the small 'L' in Liberal? Where is the encouragement of innovation and entrepreneurialism they are supposed to stand for? All they stand for is established wealth. Their idea of wealth creation for the average man is to ride the housing bubble. They are bereft of talent, devoid of principles, lacking entirely in courage or vision, and are right where they deserve to be. The Carlton Football Club of politics.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
spook said:
No, it's not always the case, but it certainly is now. I can't think of a single person I would describe as gifted or even highly intelligent in the federal parliamentary Liberal Party. They have no talent. And to disagree with snake, it's not an indictment on the system, it's an indictment on the cynical, nasty, lazy, negative, greedy, short-sighted, opportunistic, dog-whistling imagination-free appeal to the worst in people the Libs have undertaken ever since Howard. Why would anyone with a brain and a heart who lent to the right associate themselves with a pack of such dopey cowards, beholden to their masters Murdoch and the miners?

Where is the small 'L' in Liberal? Where is the encouragement of innovation and entrepreneurialism they are supposed to stand for? All they stand for is established wealth. Their idea of wealth creation for the average man is to ride the housing bubble. They are bereft of talent, devoid of principles, lacking entirely in courage or vision, and are right where they deserve to be. The Carlton Football Club of politics.

Hard to disagree with most of that but I don’t really view Howard with the same contempt.

Yes it’s hard to find anything decent in the federal Libs at the moment. Although I watched the ABC coverage last night and thought Jane Hume was quite impressive. I really know little about her but she seemed quite reasoned and humble in the face of an overwhelming slaughter. Actually thought John Pesutto was good as well. As a leader of the party it must have been tough to sit there and watch the bloodbath unfold. Especially when his own seat was under serious threat to the point that when they went off air he was virtually resigned to losing it. It looks as though he may hold on now though which is good as someone like him may need to play a big part in reforming the party to make it relevant in Victoria again.

I thought the ABC coverage was quite good. The hosts led a balanced discussion and the guests from both sides of politics were very measured. Quite unusual for the ABC to be so balanced these days. I’ve given up watching Q&A as it has just turned into a far left circle jerk.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Ridley said:
Hard to disagree with most of that but I don’t really view Howard with the same contempt.

Yes it’s hard to find anything decent in the federal Libs at the moment. Although I watched the ABC coverage last night and thought Jane Hume was quite impressive. I really know little about her but she seemed quite reasoned and humble in the face of an overwhelming slaughter. Actually thought John Pesutto was good as well. As a leader of the party it must have been tough to sit there and watch the bloodbath unfold. Especially when his own seat was under serious threat to the point that when they went off air he was virtually resigned to losing it. It looks as though he may hold on now though which is good as someone like him may need to play a big part in reforming the party to make it relevant in Victoria again.

I thought the ABC coverage was quite good. The hosts led a balanced discussion and the guests from both sides of politics were very measured. Quite unusual for the ABC to be so balanced these days. I’ve given up watching Q&A as it has just turned into a far left circle jerk.
I didn't watch any coverage, just followed it online, but I have since seen Pesutto speak after the ABC called that he would likely lose his seat, and he was most gracious and classy. He's ahead by a bee's *smile* at present - if he loses they need to find a way to keep him involved.

Agree on Q&A, haven't watched it for years.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
IanG said:
Damn I actually voted for her cause I think she offers more than the greens
Yep, I voted Reason Party too. Pity, i like her.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
tigertim said:
Yep, I voted Reason Party too. Pity, i like her.

There might have been a bit of a backlash against the party cos of their preferences. They preferenced a few right wing parties ahead of more progressive parties.