State League Watch | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

State League Watch

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
tigertim said:
Sam Dwyer and Sam Rowe blitzing for Collingwood and Carlton respectively.

Sam Dwyer - 23 possessions, 14 contested, 1 goal, 2 score assists, absolutely dominated in his first full match.

josey

Tiger Superstar
Mar 17, 2008
Melbourne
bullus_hit said:
Sam Dwyer - 23 possessions, 14 contested, 1 goal, 2 score assists, absolutely dominated in his first full match.

Yep, an impressive display.

He appears to have adjusted easily. Not as hard as some would have you believe when players do the basics very well.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Phantom said:
Travers picked up an enormous number of possessions, but was never heard from again.
I wonder what happened to Travers?

Think he's with East Perth

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
bullus_hit said:

At the risk of leysy p!ssing in his own pocket this guy would have played 100 games for us if drafted 5 years ago.

Quick, skilled & finds the footy. He's also no better now than a few years back. Especially pre his knee reco.

Might have mentioned him once or twice going back a while. Excuse the chest beating folks. ;D

Leysy Days said:
Leysy liked the look of a player for Port - Sam Dwyer. Quick strong footballer who moves extremely well. ILO on that display he's definately worth looking at for a rookie spot. There's plenty of opportunity at AFL level for his type of small forward that applies pressure. Loved his game yesterday.

Leysy Days said:
Actually would like to see Sam Dwyer from port melb get a run. His age (23 leysy thinks) will make it hard for him. But think he has the game to step up to the big time.

Leysy Days said:
Good call on Dwyer Bob. Has the type of game that could step up to AFL level.

Leysy Days said:
As an aside for those watching keep your eye out for Sam Dwyer from Port. Leysy would have drafted him years ago.

Leysy Days said:
Also rapt to see Sam Dwyer get picked up by Collingwood today. Leysy has incessantly beat on about him for years. Shouldn't have taken this long for someone to take him. Is a type that could slot into our side ILO. Collingwood are a tough team to crack into but he's a real chance to.

Keep your eye out for him he's a good little player.

Leysy Days said:
Good to see Sam Dwyer get a call up.

Can make an AFL player that lad. Hopefully we're looking at him.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
I know you've been a fan Leysy, good call.

Once again this highlights the fact that we need to stop recruiting retreads like Lonergan and start picking up guys who have a history dominating the lower leagues. I mentioned in another thread that it was a no brainer to pick Dwyer ahead of Lonergan, a retread who has averaged 15 possessions a match his whole career. It would have strengthened our list immediately and it would have cost nothing more than a second round rookie pick.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
bullus_hit said:

Once again this highlights the fact that we need to stop recruiting retreads like Lonergan and start picking up guys who have a history dominating the lower leagues. I mentioned in another thread that it was a no brainer to pick Dwyer ahead of Lonergan, a retread who has averaged 15 possessions a match his whole career. It would have strengthened our list immediately and it would have cost nothing more than a second round rookie pick.

You would get a kick playing for collingwood, there midfield is 6 deep and then you have Dwyer.
Lonergan if he gets a break from injury, he will get games for us. We haven't got depth at inside players.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
zippadeee said:
You would get a kick playing for collingwood, there midfield is 6 deep and then you have Dwyer.
Lonergan if he gets a break from injury, he will get games for us. We haven't got depth at inside players.

Did you see the game today Zips? Dwyer was just as effective as Swan and Pendlebury, and he's every bit the inside player that Lonergan is. His disposal is top notch and he's dangerous around goals. Lonergan is a poor kick, lacks an engine and struggles to impact games.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
bullus_hit said:
Did you see the game today Zips? Dwyer was just as effective as Swan and Pendlebury, and he's every bit the inside player that Lonergan is. His disposal is top notch and he's dangerous around goals. Lonergan is a poor kick, lacks an engine and struggles to impact games.

If he was as good as your saying why did he get picked up as rookie and what are the other 16 clubs doing.
It does help when the best stoppers go to the swan & penderbury when the smurfs like Sinclair, sidebottom & the number 11 run around with any opposition.
There's a huge difference playing at collingwood compare to playing at Richmond

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
zippadeee said:
If he was as good as your saying why did he get picked up as rookie and what are the other 16 clubs doing.
It does help when the best stoppers go to the swan & penderbury when the smurfs like Sinclair, sidebottom & the number 11 run around with any opposition.
There's a huge difference playing at collingwood compare to playing at Richmond

What do you think this thread is all about? Tapping into the state league goldmines has been an issue a number of us have been hammering home for years now. Go back and check some of the other threads if you've got the time.

As for what other clubs are doing, I would say the RFC is well behind the eightball when it comes to the SANFL, WAFL and particularly the VFL. We have always gone down the retread path and it usually ends up being a complete waste of time.

Sam Dwyer has been a star at Port Melbourne for years now, he's you classic high achiever who's done everything required of him at state league level. He's in the same category of many of the other state league recruits that have made the transition, and he's seemingly been a victim of clubs youth obsession and reluctance to take on mature agers.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
As one who has banged on about SLR I wonder if the AFL clubs under rate CFL form? Which makes me wonder, what happened to Myles Sewell?

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
bullus_hit said:

It's not only Lonergan we passed him over for. We overlooked him year on year on year. The nay sayers will come in with so did other clubs but that's no excuse.

We are missing out on SLR's. We just don't go down this path.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
SCOOP said:
It's not only Lonergan we passed him over for. We overlooked him year on year on year. The nay sayers will come in with so did other clubs but that's no excuse.

We are missing out on SLR's. We just don't go down this path.

2 points: First, aren't Kingy, Morris and X man overage state leaguers? So we have gone down that path. Second, you can't fix everything instantaneously. We used to be terrible at all aspects of recruiting. The only good player we got were glaringly obvious (and we missed some of them) and in spite of ourselves. The way I see it we are attacking one aspect, or weakness, at a time systematically, a method that has never happened, maybe it next or further down he list?

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
It is true that we have done well with King, Nahas and Morris from State Leagues. They were all good, solid pick-ups. King is a Coburg B&F winner, Nahas is a Fothergill-Round Medallist (Best young VFL player of his year) and Morris is a B&F winner at West Adelaide.

We have not done so well with Derickx, Nason, Webberley and others. Not surprisingly, none of these three were well-credentialled. Derickx, for example, had one year of senior footy playing in a similar role to the one Vickery plays now. Nason spent more time playing SANFL reserves than he did playing SANFL seniors and Webs was a very good player but in a lower league. See the difference?

Dwyer has excelled for Port Melbourne over many years. He was playing senior footy alongside Nahas in his two year stint at Port Melbourne and Nahas now has 78 AFL games.

Another one who will come to the fore this year is Callum Sinclair, who just played his first game for WC. He played several seasons of senior footy at Port Melbourne and had a fantastic year in the WAFL last year. He is 201 cm tall and has the speed and skills to play key forward. He is another player from our back-yard who has been a lay-down misere.

We haven’t ignored the State Leagues but we have missed some real opportunities, usually preferring speculative 18 year-olds to seasoned 22 year-olds who are ready to go.

One of the big disappointments with our recent recruiting is the Rookie Draft of 2009. We started with a seriously good win, taking Dylan Grimes in the PSD and followed up with the following:
Robert Hicks ahead of Michael Barlow
Pat Contin ahead of Alex Silvagni and Ben Howlett
Relton Roberts ahead of Ashton Hams and Stuart Crameri.

Our other three late picks, Nick Westhoff, Graham Polak and Jamie O’Reilly are no longer at the club either.

Whilst I hate the “we took this guy ahead of that superstar” comparisons, that was a critical draft for the rebuilding of our club. We nailed the Dusty and Grimes picks and have three other promising players in Griffiths, Astbury and Dea. A couple of mature State Leaguers like those above would have fast-tracked the recovery big-time.

I’m less critical of the Lonergan pick-up than I am of the speculative juniors. At least with Lonergan, he is on the list, can come in and play if needed and, if not needed, will be gone at the end of the year. The 18 year-olds who need three seasons before they can even be considered for a major role in the senior VFL team have no place on an AFL list. We are a senior football club playing in the National competition, not a Nursery. Every player on our list should be ready to “plug-and-play.”

RedanTiger

Tiger Champion
Nov 21, 2004
tigersnake said:
The way I see it we are attacking one aspect, or weakness, at a time systematically, a method that has never happened, maybe it next or further down he list?

That has got to be one of the most ridiculous statements I have ever seen.
So if there are several weaknesses in a system you only address one at a time. ::)
As has been pointed out by the critics, if you fail in one area (eg SL rookies) it reflects damage onto other areas (foot soldiers v guns picks). Bit obvious I would have thought.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
TOT70 said:
It is true that we have done well with King, Nahas and Morris from State Leagues. They were all good, solid pick-ups. King is a Coburg B&F winner, Nahas is a Fothergill-Round Medallist (Best young VFL player of his year) and Morris is a B&F winner at West Adelaide.

We have not done so well with Derickx, Nason, Webberley and others. Not surprisingly, none of these three were well-credentialled. Derickx, for example, had one year of senior footy playing in a similar role to the one Vickery plays now. Nason spent more time playing SANFL reserves than he did playing SANFL seniors and Webs was a very good player but in a lower league. See the difference?

Dwyer has excelled for Port Melbourne over many years. He was playing senior footy alongside Nahas in his two year stint at Port Melbourne and Nahas now has 78 AFL games.

Another one who will come to the fore this year is Callum Sinclair, who just played his first game for WC. He played several seasons of senior footy at Port Melbourne and had a fantastic year in the WAFL last year. He is 201 cm tall and has the speed and skills to play key forward. He is another player from our back-yard who has been a lay-down misere.

We haven’t ignored the State Leagues but we have missed some real opportunities, usually preferring speculative 18 year-olds to seasoned 22 year-olds who are ready to go.

One of the big disappointments with our recent recruiting is the Rookie Draft of 2009. We started with a seriously good win, taking Dylan Grimes in the PSD and followed up with the following:

Our other three late picks, Nick Westhoff, Graham Polak and Jamie O’Reilly are no longer at the club either.

Whilst I hate the “we took this guy ahead of that superstar” comparisons, that was a critical draft for the rebuilding of our club. We nailed the Dusty and Grimes picks and have three other promising players in Griffiths, Astbury and Dea. A couple of mature State Leaguers like those above would have fast-tracked the recovery big-time.

I’m less critical of the Lonergan pick-up than I am of the speculative juniors. At least with Lonergan, he is on the list, can come in and play if needed and, if not needed, will be gone at the end of the year. The 18 year-olds who need three seasons before they can even be considered for a major role in the senior VFL team have no place on an AFL list. We are a senior football club playing in the National competition, not a Nursery. Every player on our list should be ready to “plug-and-play.”

They're all a lay-down misere (how do you spell that?) in hindsight. I was mostly responding to scoops 'we don't go down that path' comment. We do go down that path. With mixed results, like all other clubs. Morris, King and Nahas all in our best 26? 28? 30? Thats over 10%. What are other sides percentage? What would be considered successful?

As I said, I think we getting our ducks in a row, and prioritising what we concentrate on. I reckon we've done a pretty good job all up. Could we improve on the state league talent identification? Of course, you can always improve.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
RedanTiger said:
That has got to be one of the most ridiculous statements I have ever seen.
So if there are several weaknesses in a system you only address one at a time. ::)
As has been pointed out by the critics, if you fail in one area (eg SL rookies) it reflects damage onto other areas (foot soldiers v guns picks). Bit obvious I would have thought.

I reckon we've prioritised areas in sequence, its a good approach and its working. Ridiculous it ain't Pleasant St Boy, Thats not to say we have ignored other areas, clearly we have an eye on the state leagues and have been active. I reckon its a bit of gross overstatement of the problem going on, and also its all a bit unrealistic, you can't draft 'em all.

Petterd and Lonergan and even Edwards, are effectively state league recruits in my mind. I know and understand why many would disagree with that, its only my view.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
TOT70 said:

Top post Tottie, you've hit the nail on the head on many fronts. And I love the nursery analogy, you might want to also add nursing home to that description, if one considers the Polak and Hislop situations.

But on the bright side, Ricky Petterd looks set to break our 4 year drought on the rookie front, that's if one deems the Miller experiment to be a failure. Williams is another who should be seen as the prototype junior, that is a guy who's physical attributes should see him match ready in 2 years. This is where Collingwood has been so successful, they have clear parameters and just about every one of their rookies is ready to run within 12-24 months.

We've reversed our drafting fortunes on many fronts, next stop has got to be the state leagues, here's hoping anyway.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
bullus_hit said:
We've reversed our drafting fortunes on many fronts, next stop has got to be the state leagues, here's hoping anyway.

Don't disagree. I hope our next priority, state league or juniors, is a super quick, super skilled blackfella.

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
bullus_hit said:
Top post Tottie, you've hit the nail on the head on many fronts. And I love the nursery analogy, you might want to also add nursing home to that description, if one considers the Polak and Hislop situations.

But on the bright side, Ricky Petterd looks set to break our 4 year drought on the rookie front, that's if one deems the Miller experiment to be a failure. Williams is another who should be seen as the prototype junior, that is a guy who's physical attributes should see him match ready in 2 years. This is where Collingwood has been so successful, they have clear parameters and just about every one of their rookies is ready to run within 12-24 months.

The Polak pick and the retention of Kelvin Moore on the list last year, were emotional choices. The club looked after two popular clubmen and, whilst the onfield return was poor, there may well have been other benefits. Carlton have done a similar thing with Sam Rowe this year, sometimes you just have to do the right thing.

Hislop not so much. I was critical of Miller but he did his bit for a season or so.

At least with the older players, they get their opportunity and you know quickly if they can take it or not. Lonergan might play a number of games and be useful or he will be gone quickly, opening up a space for another player.

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
tigersnake said:
Don't disagree. I hope our next priority, state league or juniors, is a super quick, super skilled blackfella.

Yep.

At least one of our more experienced assistant coaches would concur on this point.