State League Watch | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

State League Watch

TOT70 said:
The Polak pick and the retention of Kelvin Moore on the list last year, were emotional choices. The club looked after two popular clubmen and, whilst the onfield return was poor, there may well have been other benefits. Carlton have done a similar thing with Sam Rowe this year, sometimes you just have to do the right thing.

I understand the sentiment, my only point with this is we could have looked after them without taking up a position on the list, give them a role within the club and then redraft them if all things come up rosy on the medical front. There would have been little chance another club would have snatched them from our clutches. Minor beef but that's just my 2 cents worth.

TOT70 said:
At least with the older players, they get their opportunity and you know quickly if they can take it or not. Lonergan might play a number of games and be useful or he will be gone quickly, opening up a space for another player.

I certainly agree with this and it encapsulates the reasons why some rookie programs are more successful than others, that is keeping the conveyer belt chugging away and ensuring a steady turnover of players.

The distinction I make with guys like Lonergan versus unproven state leaguers is upside, the former has a clear talent ceiling whilst the latter has the potential to be more than just back-up. Are we just going to settle for a Brad Miller or are we aiming for the next Pods?

What's with the long term injury list? Can Dwyer stay in collingwoods side all year or does he get the flick after 8 weeks??

If he has been placed because of a lti then I'm pretty sure he goes back unless there's another lti.....I think.....

tigertim said:
If he has been placed because of a lti then I'm pretty sure he goes back unless there's another lti.....I think.....

Collingwood promoted Frost and Dwyer together, they will also promote Hudson to replace Jolly, I think he's probably safe in the foreseeable future. The big factor will be whether he's pushed to make way for Beams, Thomas, Fasolo or Didak.

Col.W.Kurtz said:

Bitterness in all its glory, Zorko might be in a form slump but he's better than half of GC's list, very poor form by McKenna.

bullus_hit said:
Bitterness in all its glory, Zorko might be in a form slump but he's better than half of GC's list, very poor form by McKenna.
I wonder if McKenna and Zorko had a allying out. Sees a bizarre comment. They recruited some state leagers that have already gone and you'd assume BZ was better than them, even by definition.

bullus_hit said:

McKenna is worse then Neeld. Biggest coconut in the AFL.

bullus_hit said:

Indeed. Just a silly comment. And nasty.

But two names I want to throw up for every to keep any eye on are Adam Marcon & Jason Pongracic. Both are onballers who win there own ball but can play on the outside. We have to get better at this SLR thing.

SCOOP said:
Indeed. Just a silly comment. And nasty.

But two names I want to throw up for every to keep any eye on are Adam Marcon & Jason Pongracic. Both are onballers who win there own ball but can play on the outside. We have to get better at this SLR thing.

Big knock on Pongracic was his tank, if he can build that up and play as a permanent midfielder he'd definitely be under serious consideration.

bullus_hit said:
Big knock on Pongracic was his tank, if he can build that up and play as a permanent midfielder he'd definitely be under serious consideration.
Well I think he's playing at Frankston which has become the VFL club to be drafted from.

Nick Kommer, have to admire the way he plays.

Another mature body, plug and play.

Guys, I know McKenna and these comments are contrived to market the game, absolutely no doubt about it.

He is a top bloke and I think he is putting on this little charade with Voss to try and spice up what is probably a very low interest game.

Streak said:
Guys, I know McKenna and these comments are contrived to market the game, absolutely no doubt about it.

He is a top bloke and I think he is putting on this little charade with Voss to try and spice up what is probably a very low interest game.

Bit harsh to go hard on the state league player who is just trying to make a career. Could Have picked on one of the stars.

Col.W.Kurtz said:
Ouch

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-04-12/guess-whos-on-zorkos-back

Amazing to think that Mackenna still holds his view on Zorko. A bit of man pride me thinks. Kind of like Carlton on Collins.

Shane Nelson has started the year off very well in the WAFL.

30,30,24 and 28 touches.

Someone will give him a go.

Tigers of Old said:
Overlooked entirely in 2 drafts now. Why?

It's a strange one, there's been some criticism of his kicking and hurt factor but there's no doubting he can find the ball. It may well take a top 5 finish in the Sandover to grab people's attention, still plenty of time for Nelson.

A guy to watch. Anton Hamp at Claremont.

Was a rookie listed 197cm KP player at the Eagles but fell off their list at the end of last year.

Has had a blistering start to this season, and is already being talked about for the State game.

Tore it up last night against Subiaco.

Jack Hannath has been called up for Freo tonight, he was a real bright light in the SANFL last year and was highly sort after by Melbourne before being snapped up by the Dockers. It's no secret that I would have preferred him to the ageing Stephenson. One thing that stood out was his ability to rest in the forward line and present himself as a viable attacking option, the boy can definitely take a strong contested mark.

Good luck to him, although I hope he reserves his best for next week and beyond.