State League Watch | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

State League Watch

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I don't watch it closely, but my family left Perth in 1974 when I was young and we're all Subiaco supporters.

Surely after ending the season 5 games and 90% on top we win.

DS

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
He probably won’t get drafted but I’d waste a junk pick on Anthony Wilson from Norwood. Small (180cm) but quick and loves a goal and a run. Indigenous guy, would be 26 for season 2019.

Think a right footed Aaron Davey.

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
VFL TOTY
Hore Cook Tsitas
Bewley Collins Heppell
Hind Gibbons Hayes
Templeton Palmer Rich
Cavarra Lisle Younan
Meese
Atkins
Gribble

Inter: Monfries Lockhart O’Sullivan Wagner Lentini Seccull

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
Gibbons (Williamstown) equal winner of the JJ Liston. Bewley and Cavarra (also both Willy) also polling very well.

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
Josh Corbett from Werribee this years Fothergill Round Mitchell medal for the best VFL player under 23.

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
tigertim said:
Josh Corbett from Werribee this years Fothergill Round Mitchell medal for the best VFL player under 23.
Has been chosen by GC as one of its pre selections of state league recruits.

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
Carlton have ontraded their SLR pre selection to Geelong for a third rounder and Geelong have used on South Adelaides Nathan Krueger.

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
tigertim said:
Carlton have ontraded their SLR pre selection to Geelong for a third rounder and Geelong have used on South Adelaides Nathan Krueger.

I wanted us to Rookie list Krueger last year, Will be interesting to see how this kid come on

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
A good crop from the state leagues. Following on from Josh Corbett, Nathan Krueger, Chris Burgess, Shane McAdam and Collins who were pre listed earlier we've seen Brett Bewley, Ben Cavarra, Lachlan schulz, Matthew Parker, Will Hayes, Darcy Fort, Nick Hind and Marty Hore drafted today.

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
And another batch from the rookie draft: Jake Aarts, Tom Atkins, Callum Wilkie, Kieren Strachan, Tom Jok, Tobe Watson and Tom Wilkinson.

9 out of the 39 real picks in this rookie draft.

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
Good article on Andy Collins thoughts on the rookie draft:

VFL coach Andy Collins says AFL clubs miss talent at lower levels by redrafting players as rookies
JON RALPH, Herald Sun
December 11, 2018 5:06pm
Subscriber only
VFL premiership coach Andy Collins says the rookie draft is broken, worried a former gold mine for talent is simply being used by clubs to redraft their own players.

Williamstown coach Collins is thrilled 13 VFL players were chosen in AFL drafts this year but believes many more would turn into ready-made AFL players if given the chance.

He said clubs were closing their minds to mature-aged talent and stripping the rookie list of its initial purpose.

VFL star Michael Gibbons is shattered to again be shunned by AFL clubs despite winning the Liston Trophy and collecting 509 possessions, with clubs worried about his 175cm frame.

Michael Gibbons has proven himself a cut above most in the VFL. Pic: Getty Images
Those who have seen Gibbons at close quarters believe he has more upside than Kane Lambert, who followed a similar path to become an AFL star.

But of the 40 rookie picks taken last month, 21 were clubs taking delisted players or redrafting their own players.

The rookie list was once a chance for speculative picks that saw players like Matt Priddis, Josh Gibson, Steven Milne, Dean Cox, Aaron Sandilands and Ben Rutten prosper.

Collins played 212 games at Hawthorn and has spent a decade in elite coaching including stints at AFL clubs St Kilda and Hawthorn.

Collins believes if the AFL increased list sizes to up to 50 it would create more jobs and foster AFL stars.

“The rookie rules have changed but once upon a time those spots were for mature-age or untried kids, but now guys like Michael Rischitelli get picked up. I find that really funny,” he said.

Michael Rischitelli was delisted by the Suns before being redrafted. Pic: AAP

Williamstown coach Andy Collins. Picture: Stuart Milligan
“The amount of TAC Cup kids I have spoken to who just give up footy now.

“It seems to be keeping blokes in jobs rather than giving chances to kids who haven’t had the opportunity.”

Carlton now has two spots on its list for rookies under the AFL’s new rules, but seems likely to overlook Gibbons, clearly the best player in the VFL.

A second AFL reconstruction for co-captain Sam Docherty means the Blues can bring two players onto their list through a rookie dispensation or next year’s mid-season draft.

“Everyone knows the best medium defender in the VFL is (Williamstown’s) Jack Charleston,’’ Collins said.

“He is 25 years of age and Collingwood approached him but didn’t pick him. Give him a chance. Carlton should look at a kid like him rather than a 30-year-old ex-AFL player.

“There are so many talented players screaming out for an opportunity.

Dean Cox worked his way off the rookie list to become an AFL great.
“You hear coaches talk about the gap between AFL and VFL but the gap is not that great for most players.

“There is a gap between elite AFL and general AFL players anyway and that’s what makes footy so unique.”

Collins said brilliant defender Luke Tynan, returning next year from Port Melbourne to Casey, was another player who could easily make the grade at AFL level.

Clubs have said that Gibbons doesn’t have enough upside.

But he works from 6am to midday as a carpet layer, then goes to university, then goes to football training, with a 24/7 football lifestyle in an AFL system likely to fast-track his football even more quickly.

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
Williamstowns Michael Gibbons has been invited down to Carlton as they still have 2 spots left to fill.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
tigertim said:
Williamstowns Michael Gibbons has been invited down to Carlton as they still have 2 spots left to fill.

Scrapping the botton of the barrel.

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
tigertim said:

Now for Bolton & Grigg to get their dues.

K3

Tiger Legend
Oct 9, 2006
Anyone around here from the Cairns area, and seen this guy?

112 goals in a season... Noice!

http://websites.sportstg.com/team_info.cgi?action=PSTATS&pID=199826150&client=1-3392-93675-394666-24933731

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Rubbish standard. Not as good as some of the local leagues in Melbourne.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
K3 said:
Anyone around here from the Cairns area, and seen this guy?

112 goals in a season... Noice!

http://websites.sportstg.com/team_info.cgi?action=PSTATS&pID=199826150&client=1-3392-93675-394666-24933731

Makes you wonder why we chase a guy like Lynch.