Steve Hocking | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Steve Hocking

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Whenever I see this thread back on the first page I have this forlorn hope of reading that the AFL has wound back the stand rule. Alas.

sHocking is a *smile*

Reactions: 1 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Whenever I see this thread back on the first page I have this forlorn hope of reading that the AFL has wound back the stand rule. Alas.

sHocking is a *smile*
The 'Stand rule' would be the dumbest rule ever introduced in world sport.
A player needs to stand still like he is playing 'freeze' while his direct opponent cruises by without any attempt to stop or slow him down.
But as a Richmond supporter 1 lasting imagine will always sit in my mind. When the siren rang through at the gabba on the 24th of October 2020 little Hocking had the pleasure of sitting close to the action and then watching our boys celebrate bending over the well fancied Geelong boys.
30 points in a reduced version was close to the 2019 result.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users

zgod

Tiger Legend
Feb 25, 2008
A player needs to stand still like he is playing 'freeze' while his direct opponent cruises by without any attempt to stop or slow him down.
But as a Richmond supporter 1 lasting imagine will always sit in my mind. When the siren rang through at the gabba on the 24th of October 2020 little Hocking had the pleasure of sitting close to the action and then watching our boys celebrate bending over the well fancied Geelong boys.
Hocking and Gills faces were priceless that night

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Jake

Tiger Superstar
Apr 2, 2005

There is a photo of him and the head of the gravy train looking like stunned mullets thinking how the *smile* did they do that. Gold.

• Love

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Zips you have been prone to the odd hyperbolic statement in your posting history and there may be some who see this as one.
But not me !
There is a bit of a list of stupid rules that I have ( ruck nomination as an example) but in all the rule introductions we have had and even rules tested in Aussie rules footy over the years this is the most stupid.
We have one of the most free flowing and fastest sports on the planet and we have someone freezing as a statue ….FFS get rid of it !!

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Zips you have been prone to the odd hyperbolic statement in your posting history and there may be some who see this as one.
But not me !
There is a bit of a list of stupid rules that I have ( ruck nomination as an example) but in all the rule introductions we have had and even rules tested in Aussie rules footy over the years this is the most stupid.
We have one of the most free flowing and fastest sports on the planet and we have someone freezing as a statue ….FFS get rid of it !!
Zips' only mistake was 'would be' and should change it for 'is'. I agree with you. Get rid of this Pussy-ridden rubbish of a 'rule'!!

Reactions: 1 users

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
My love for Richmond > My love for the game otherwise I would quit watching it over the introduction of this rule. It is the anti Australian Rules Football rule. it is THE defining AFL rule that tells you everything wrong with AFL leadership.

It's basically what happens in netball if you infringe where you have to stand next to the player you infringed and can't impact their next play at all.

• Angry
Reactions: 3 users

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Funny isn't it, but not really humerous at all really
Just watched the 2008 game against the Bombers and there was not a single problem with the man on the mark.
No statue rule then, and the game flowed and ebbed without any infringement against the man on the mark.
So, why is it still in existence?
We did win this game BTW.

Reactions: 1 user
Jan 12, 2012
Melbourne
I remember Hocking’s quote on why the stand rule was being introduced:

‘So we can have more Dustin Martin moments’.

Genius. Maybe we can lower the net to have more ‘Roger Federer moments’ or bring the boundary rope in 30 metres for a few more ‘Viv Richards moments’, or a 15 metre pitch for some authentic looking Brett Lee stuff.

Just film circle work. It’s really pretty.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com

That was a calculated ruse for, 'We're going to target Richmond's gameplan.'
FFS Dusty had just kicked 4 of the best goals in a Grand Final you'll ever see against his team!

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria

Genius. Maybe we can lower the net to have more ‘Roger Federer moments’ or bring the boundary rope in 30 metres for a few more ‘Viv Richards moments’, or a 15 metre pitch for some authentic looking Brett Lee stuff.

Just film circle work. It’s really pretty.
That will be Hocking’s legacy. A rule that was implemented to fix a non existent problem. I guess it got his Cats a flag, so he probably doesn’t give a *smile*.

• Angry
Reactions: 2 users
Jan 12, 2012
Melbourne
FFS Dusty had just kicked 4 of the best goals in a Grand Final you'll ever see against his team!
Under pressure. They were all kicked under pressure when nobody else could handle it. That’s why they were awesome.
If you take enough pressure out of the game you can make Gary Rohan indistinguishable from Dustin Martin.
And that’s a *smile* universe.

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users

zgod

Tiger Legend
Feb 25, 2008
Under pressure. They were all kicked under pressure when nobody else could handle it. That’s why they were awesome.
If you take enough pressure out of the game you can make Gary Rohan indistinguishable from Dustin Martin.
And that’s a *smile* universe.
Bang on

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne

sHocking is a *smile*
Whenever I see this thread back on the first page, all I think is SHocking you cheating piece of *smile* and *smile*!

• Haha