Still giving us nothing...'cept Cups and Medals | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Still giving us nothing...'cept Cups and Medals

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Their comments sort of made sense - we are so good that we can win when not at our best - more of the same from the other clubs won’t beat us, and as Dimma has said - ego is now our worst enemy.

But they still can’t come out and declare us clear favourites like the bookings are.

For me, I am extremely confident but I’m thinking the one thing that can undo us is injuries at the wrong time of year - that has happened once over the past 4 years and we lost the prelim. Our underbelly gets tested during the first half of seasons but not at the pointy end. Take out a Dusty and 2 or 3 other key players and let’s see what happens. Last year we lost Soldo but got Nank back so that helped - I am alway most nervous about big injuries in those last 2 to 3 H&A games.

We are the team to beat but Lady Luck still needs to be around.

Reactions: 1 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Eight home games against out-of-towners, winning all except the first and last. A repeat effort won't be good enough; they need to improve to win.
Yes, with eight of their last 12 games in Adelaide, Port will never get a better chance than what they had last year. The plastic tough guys weren't tough enough when they came up against the Mighty Tiges.

Reactions: 1 user

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Nick Riewoldt has clearly spent too much time with Jonathan Brown and some of the stupid las leaked through. Montagna has always been a hater, along with his mate Dal Santo. They can’t get past the days when the Aints dominated us. Lewis should get us, but his performances in the media and lack of insight demonstrate that he was basically a thug who benefited from having highly skilled team mates around him. And King...you just read his ramblings and lol. It’s all about stop Dusty, stop Richmond. Before that it was stop Rance, stop Richmond. They used to call the old Collingwood side the Machine. I suppose they were, but the new Machine is Richmond. If one player doesn’t perform, another will step up and do the job. ‘Analysts’ like this lot find it hard to pick a best player in a lot of our wins, because we play the game as a team. We do that more than any other club in the AFL, and that’s why we’re on top and IMO will be there for a while yet.

Reactions: 2 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Yes, with eight of their last 12 games in Adelaide, Port will never get a better chance than what they had last year. The plastic tough guys weren't tough enough when they came up against the Mighty Tiges.
Port are flat track bullies, have been ever since Hinkley arrived. They’ll always be found wanting when it gets tough.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Not fussed about the comments. They are paid to come out with stuff that will be discussed and debated. If they just use the plain simple truth then it's boring and no one reads.

History tells us this will be our toughest flag coming up. 3 in a row is very rare. 4 from 5 or 4 probably more so.

But the smart money would have us as favourites for 2021.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Last year was our toughest flag. Arguably the toughest flag anyone's ever won. This year we are going to give the competition an almighty fisting.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
RIEWOLDT: I still have them top four. They’ll be there and the same thing will happen again. It’ll be midway through the year and their odds will blow right out because they’ll be sitting fifth or sixth, and when the whips get cracking they’ll time their run again and have another shot at it.

I agree with Roo on this. It's also do with psychology. Last year maybe helped because of the phrase of the year "we were all in this together" with even Dimma and the players mentioning it many times that because everyone lived together it made it easier to understand each other, whereas this season back at home and living away from each other somehow could make it harder. I reckon it's better we get a small slump mid-season, and poor Emma might have a busy season on her shoulders.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
‘Analysts’ like this lot find it hard to pick a best player in a lot of our wins, because we play the game as a team. We do that more than any other club in the AFL, and that’s why we’re on top and IMO will be there for a while yet.
Also because they're addicted to stats, and stats don't define us. At least, not the ones that are important in fantasy footy.

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
Not fussed about the comments. They are paid to come out with stuff that will be discussed and debated. If they just use the plain simple truth then it's boring and no one reads.

History tells us this will be our toughest flag coming up. 3 in a row is very rare. 4 from 5 or 4 probably more so.

But the smart money would have us as favourites for 2021.
Theoretically, apart from a couple of dodgy vindaloos the Thursday night before the 2018 prelim final, and the Lanky Yank playing the best 20 minutes of football of his life, we're shooting for 5 on the trot.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Snippet from today's HS where every team is discussed.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...m/news-story/132ecb7e7ba684c3d0153f320c7ab7d5

RICHMOND

ROBINSON: Can they make it four from five?

MONTAGNA: It’s as simple as how hungry are they? Are their bellies full or do they still have the desire to go again? That’s all it comes down to with Richmond. If they’re hungry to chase more success, they’ll be there when the whips are cracking. It’s probably a good question for Jordan. How hungry can you be when you’ve won three out of four?

LEWIS: You are in a sense relying on early season performance that can fuel that desire. Or if you see things slipping away and you’re not performing at your best, then you’re really relying on the individual to try and generate that some other way. They’ve still got the names on paper that perform on big occasions. The year they didn’t win it in 2018 I think was a valuable lesson in timing their run.

ROBINSON: Will Jack Riewoldt play 22 games this year, Kingy?

KING: Jack will play if he’s fit because Dimma is going to play him. He’s not going to take him out of the team for no reason and Jack will want to perform better than he was. But in the big games, in credit and fairness to him, he’s performed when they’ve needed it most. I think the biggest challenge for the competition is, like it or not, Damien Hardwick has designed a game plan that other coaches are either too stubborn to go away from theirs to counteract. At the moment, when they take control of a game and get momentum, the scoreboard flows. The challenge for other coaches now is to work out what to do with Dustin Martin. How do they play against him, particularly in big games? Because we’ve never seen a finals player like him.

RIEWOLDT: He’s the outlier though. How many times do you do a Richmond game and Dusty almost gets the three votes by default sometimes? Because you look through the Richmond players and wonder, ‘Who’s actually played well for them, yet they’ve still won?’ The prelim final was incredible. They have more off nights and end up winning the game of footy more than any other team I think in history. It’s the system that gets them through. I’m staggered so few teams have tried to adopt their system. So many teams want to control the ball, but Richmond has its own brand and it’s unique. I can’t believe the lack of copycats trying to do the same thing because it stands up.

ROBINSON: Opposition clubs are looking at Richmond and wondering, ‘How do we stop them?’ Is it about stopping Dusty? Would you be able to come up with a way?

LEWIS: I’d want my team to deny them the ball and to deny them chaos. That is easier said than done, but I think the difference between Richmond and Geelong is their belief and self-confidence is huge. When things aren’t going well they stick at it.

KING: Denis Pagan used to have a saying where he thought the hardest players to coach were those who have had success because they all know everything. As long as pawns are happy to play like pawns on the chess board for the Tigers, they’ll be fine. But as soon as a couple of them think, ‘I can do more than this’, that’s when the trouble will come. Outside of that, they’ve got a great club.

ROBINSON: Verdict?

LEWIS: I see them from fourth to sixth. You can’t measure the hunger for another tilt at it when sides are coming at you again. Every year becomes harder.

MONTAGNA: Yeah, I’ve got them fourth to sixth. I just think there are teams that should be hungrier and should play a style of footy that should be ahead of them in the home and away season.

RIEWOLDT: I still have them top four. They’ll be there and the same thing will happen again. It’ll be midway through the year and their odds will blow right out because they’ll be sitting fifth or sixth, and when the whips get cracking they’ll time their run again and have another shot at it.

KING: Until I can see a team take away the way Richmond plays, I’m going to stick with them.

- - - - -

Weird discussion for mine. They are obviously dwelling on Riewoldt's form being off and looking to pounce on him. This is everything that's wrong with modern footy journalism.

N.Riewoldt's take staggers me. Even as an advocate for the club, he falls into the trap of "the system gets them the wins". He can't seriously believe we have no stars other than Martin. Does he really think we played poorly in the prelim?

Still a lack of respect, and more damning, comprehension.
I totally agree. We have 3 out 4 flags but we don't have any quality players. Grimes, BigV, Houli, Astbury, Edwards, Lambert, Cotchin, Nakas, Castagna, Riewodlt, Sensational footballers.
That staggers me.

Why are they asking Montanga?

All king says is stop Dusty and you stop Richmond.
Im waiting for the day Dusty has a bad day and we lose, for that goose to say 'I told you so".

Robinson is waiting for a few loses for him to print his headline
'Affair effects Tigers'

There will be a day our run comes to an end.
But the negativity currently is unbelievable.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Lack of comprehension from the nuff nuffs.
Still...yes stilll...think the way to beat us is to deny us the ball.
Every team has tried that and failed because they in turn cannot score enough to win.
To beat us needs playing our style better than us....you have to have the cattle and system.
No one has it yet.
We are still 5 or more goals better than the next team which is Cats.
Away from home Port and Lions will not beat us.
No chance.
Playing Brisbane on the G, will be like a bye.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
The Age went through all the teams today too, the conclusion on Richmond: Still the One.

We won the last 2 flags, 3 in a row is damned difficult, but it still means we are the team to beat.

DS

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Hocking introduced the new man on the mark rule because he wasn't happy the way we stopped the opposition use the corridor.
He was especially 'angry' the way Cotchin manned the mark.
This bloke is a kokhead

scottyturnerscurse

Tiger Legend
Apr 29, 2006
From 2016 to 2021, David King picked us to win in 2016, 2018 and now 2021.

If I gave his thoughts any credence, I'd be worried by this emerging pattern.

• Angry

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Hocking introduced the new man on the mark rule because he wasn't happy the way we stopped the opposition use the corridor.
He was especially 'angry' the way Cotchin manned the mark.
This bloke is a kokhead
God help Hocking if we win it again.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
I tend to agree that they will be our closest challengers largely because a lot of other teams have their own issues. Port also have a fairly easy draw which is crazy bearing in mind they finished top last year, but if you look at their results against the best teams last year they don't stack up well. They get a very good % but thats largely because they beat up on the teams at the bottom.

If you look at the wins both Port and Richmond had against teams in the bottom 8, Port won 6 with an average margin of 41 and we won 5 of 6 with those 5 having an average winning margin of 27. Pundits just look at overall % and go Port are great, but they gain almost all of it from the weaker teams.

If you ignore finals, Port had a margin of 316 points, of which they gained 244 from the teams in the bottom 8.

Whilst they are a tough team, and always make sure people know they have been in a contest, their ball use is well below some of the other teams.

Even if you look at our final against them last year, they were +14 in inside 50's but we had 6 more scoring shots. Their midfielders have little class. Losing SPP will probably be a help for them not a hindrance as they can bring someone in who can actually kick the ball.
This isn't the 1st time i have heard this, so i looked at the ladder v top 8 & bottom 8, v bottom 8 they were 6-0 180%, v top 8 they were 4-3 93%.
These #'s indicate a big fall if they don't sort themselves out when the going gets tough.
The media jumping all over Port reminds me of them doing the same with Melbourne pre '19, v bottom 8 they went 11-1 178%, v top 8 2-6 83%

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
This isn't the 1st time i have heard this, so i looked at the ladder v top 8 & bottom 8, v bottom 8 they were 6-0 180%, v top 8 they were 4-3 93%.
These #'s indicate a big fall if they don't sort themselves out when the going gets tough.
The media jumping all over Port reminds me of them doing the same with Melbourne pre '19, v bottom 8 they went 11-1 178%, v top 8 2-6 83%
Top work, JR. Very telling.
Be nice if the odd media clown or so called experts would do their job and have a real look.