Sure know somethin', or Dynasty talk | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Sure know somethin', or Dynasty talk

to me..on recent history..
1. Brisbane - Were a powerhouse - 3 peat. & R'up in GF on their 4th attempt
2. Haw - 3 Peat +1 - Bris to me put the fear into teams and traveled so much too compared to Haw. Lucky in '08
3. Rich - B2B + 1 ( if we get a 3 peat, imo we jump to 1st.) - very close 2nd but 1 GF win short to jump passed them
4 Geel - scattered 3 Prem. Unlucky in 2008 but lucky to beat the Saints in 2009 (pinched that one imo)
Geelong don't count different coaches and anything with Salty Scott behind the wheel is hog wash!

Reactions: 1 user
A lot of people downgrading Geelong for the lack of back to back.

I have them top for longevity. I feel like Geelong were the top side for 6 years. They were a footballing era in and of themselves.

Most pundits, including those who have played back to back and 3peats, all say going back to back is bloody hard. Harder than winning 1. 3Peat obviously a class above that.

If they people who have done, and those who have missed it, say back to back is a lot harder than a normal win, then Geelong without a back to back need to be last.

Remember, we're talking Dynasty, not an era. Geelong's longevity is something to admire. They are still up there. But you'd have to look at their time at the top and admit they have unperformed when it mattered. That's not a dynasty.

Reactions: 2 users
Win it next year and we go past all of them on paper at least.
You have to go back to 1956-60 to find the last team to win four premierships in five seasons, and the simple fact that it was MELBOURNE tells you how long ago it was!
The AFL won't like it. There were only four three-peats in the entire first 104 years of the competition (five if you count Collingwood 1927-30 as two of them), and to have three more in another 21 years will not be a good look.
And except for the fact that it's us, I kind of agree.
Not good for the competition and I think the equalization measures are not working.

The AFL won't like it. There were only four three-peats in the entire first 104 years of the competition (five if you count Collingwood 1927-30 as two of them), and to have three more in another 21 years will not be a good look.
And except for the fact that it's us, I kind of agree.
Not good for the competition and I think the equalization measures are not working.
Should we expect more rule changes then? I'm sure they'll think of something to make it difficult for us.

Reactions: 3 users
This debate will only last 10 months or so

Then after the 2022 and 2023 flags

It will never be debated again

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
I'm not that fussed on the comparison with Brisbane, Geelong and the three peat Hawks - as I think we will go past them all.

In a few years we will be comparing ourselves to the 80's/90's Hawks or 50's Melbourne...but our Tiges will be rated the best of all time as we will have done it in an 18 team national competition.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm not that fussed on the comparison with Brisbane, Geelong and the three peat Hawks - as I think we will go past them all.

In a few years we will be comparing ourselves to the 80's/90's Hawks or 50's Melbourne...but our Tiges will be rated the best of all time as we will have done it in an 18 team national competition.
I agree if we get one more in the next 2 years. Especially if we continue on making GF's on a consistent basics will we should snag a few more.
I feel that we already have an edge to the opppstion, we know how to win them.

Reactions: 1 users
I’m going Brisbane, Geelong then Tiges... my logic, when B&G were at their peak... no team even considered they could be beaten... they were tough, skilled and a level above. Richmond is interesting, even though clearly the best team and acknowledged ... it seems every team thinks they can beat us, even though they don’t. Therein lies the difference in my mind

Unlucky in 2008 but lucky to beat the Saints in 2009 (pinched that one imo)
I don’t really like comparing teams like this but I always felt that Hawthorn owes st kilda a premiership. As you say the Hawks stole the 2008 flag but St Kilda were the best team in 2009.
In defence of the cats at that time they had a couple of very good challengers. The StKilda team of that time was a very good one and Collingwood in 2010 was dominant all year.
One thing that the 2001-2003 Brisbane side has in common with our current team is that they didn’t finish top in any of their premiership years and in 2003 they finished 3-4 games behind a pretty dominant Port Adelaide on top. They peaked in finals

I’m going Brisbane, Geelong then Tiges... my logic, when B&G were at their peak... no team even considered they could be beaten... they were tough, skilled and a level above. Richmond is interesting, even though clearly the best team and acknowledged ... it seems every team thinks they can beat us, even though they don’t. Therein lies the difference in my mind

What's odd is that the year everyone thought we were unbeatable, and we were destroying everyone all season, is the year we tripped up in the Prelim.

I'm not sure sure every team thinks they can beat us. I think every team knows that if we bring our A game, they're in trouble.

The ‘built the team through compromised drafts’ factor has been understated and adds value to our 3. It’s hard to quantify the affect but I think it’s huge, probably almost on par with brizzies away finals and travel.

#and yes spirit of jack - so is the 18 team competition

Last edited:
The ‘built the team through compromised drafts’ factor has been understated and adds value to our 3. It’s hard to quantify the affect but I think it’s huge, probably almost on par with brizzies away finals and travel.

#and yes spirit of jack - so is the 18 team competition
compromised drafts are also why i downgrade hawthorns 3 peat. they built their team pre compromise, then no team could catch them because all the young talent went to GC and GWS

Reactions: 1 users
I know they don't. But we know the first Q was red hot, then we broke them. WC didn't show up at all, Swans barely at all.

You've swayed me a bit on Geelong though, but still reckon Hawks got a dream 3 peat run.

I'll go

the mighty Tigers/ Brisbane

Geelong

Hawthorn
No, GWS barely showed up, they were cooked before it started. The prelim win was impressive but again against a Hawkinless cats. The 2020 GF has put to bed the tigers are not a great side doubters. Its just how great. .

Good discussion, we can probably out it to bed with a win in 2021.

FWIW I loved watching those Lions sides, brutal and skilful, I'd probably have them at 1 right now.

The prelim win was impressive but again against a Hawkinless cats.
No Hawkins v No Tross that year. Just doubled down on them this year as Hawkins was pretty useless against us this year.
FWIW I loved watching those Lions sides, brutal and skilful, I'd probably have them at 1 right now.
Yep. Brisvegas was an awesome n brutal side back then. Almost impossible to compare the four teams that have had a three flag era recently. Different game styles, different game rules, different teams entering the comp. Brisvegas, Geelol, Hawforn, Tigers have all been bloody brilliant teams in their own way n should simply be respected for what they've managed to achieve in their eras.

I think you are not allowed multiple misses during a dynasty. Four out of four works, so does 3 out of three or even 3 out of 4.

Three out of five does not qualify, in my opinion.

I’m not sure how Geelong can claim a dynasty with 3 flags between 2007 and 2011 when Hawthorn claimed four between 2008 and 2015. There is no such thing as a Co-dynasty.

I think you are not allowed multiple misses during a dynasty. Four out of four works, so does 3 out of three or even 3 out of 4.

Three out of five does not qualify, in my opinion.

I’m not sure how Geelong can claim a dynasty with 3 flags between 2007 and 2011 when Hawthorn claimed four between 2008 and 2015. There is no such thing as a Co-dynasty.

08 was more Hawthorn horse douvre than part of the dynasty. But they do by nature overlap. One is rising, one is on the wane, but both dynasties.