Sure know somethin', or Dynasty talk | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Sure know somethin', or Dynasty talk

Tigsrs play the best looking footy.
Its just enjoyable to watch.
This year we were smashed in the lead up to Geelong in the in the Port game and still rolled the team who had 2 training runs.
F$%k we are good.

Reactions: 4 users
I think you are not allowed multiple misses during a dynasty. Four out of four works, so does 3 out of three or even 3 out of 4.

Three out of five does not qualify, in my opinion.

I’m not sure how Geelong can claim a dynasty with 3 flags between 2007 and 2011 when Hawthorn claimed four between 2008 and 2015. There is no such thing as a Co-dynasty.

I think that's a good, empirical dynasty rule TOT.

3 flags with only 1 smoko is a dynasty

Reactions: 1 user
Tigsrs play the best looking footy.
Its just enjoyable to watch.
It seems to divide neutrals. Some are scathing about it as a spectacle. Not sure how much of it is down to not getting the results they want (i.e. Richmond losing).

Coaches tend to love stoppage-based footy because it gives them a semblance of control. I don't understand how an impartial spectator could prefer stoppage footy over our brand.

Here is an interesting one. Carlton won in 68, 70 and 72. Three times in five years.
Richmond won in 67, 69, 73 and 74. Four Premierships which bookend Carlton’s three.

I don’t think either is a Dynasty. Both teams allowed too many to slip through their hands. And if 3 out of 5 doesn’t qualify here then it doesn’t qualify for Geelong in 07,09 and 11.

It is a rule. You are only allowed to drop one.

the biggest dynasty of all is Melbourne in the 50s. Five out of six. Only dropped one.

Reactions: 1 users
The ‘built the team through compromised drafts’ factor has been understated and adds value to our 3. It’s hard to quantify the affect but I think it’s huge, probably almost on par with brizzies away finals and travel.

#and yes spirit of jack - so is the 18 team competition
I agree with this 100%. I rate our era very highly as we built this team in an era of extremely compromised drafts; GCS and GWS were taking the cream of the early picks in drafts from 2010 - 2014 or thereabouts. It's also why, with respect, I downgrade Hawthorn's threepeat. They had built that list prior to the GCS and GWS compromised draft era. Then they topped up with recruits and free agents from other clubs; Gunston, Frawley, Lake, Burgoyne etc. It was very hard for other clubs to catch them in that compromised draft era.

Obviously I'm biased but I rate our dynasty higher than Hawthorn's or Geelong's. Probably just a shade behind Brisbane at this stage.

Reactions: 2 users
Here is an interesting one. Carlton won in 68, 70 and 72. Three times in five years.
Richmond won in 67, 69, 73 and 74. Four Premierships which bookend Carlton’s three.

I don’t think either is a Dynasty. Both teams allowed too many to slip through their hands. And if 3 out of 5 doesn’t qualify here then it doesn’t qualify for Geelong in 07,09 and 11.

It is a rule. You are only allowed to drop one.

the biggest dynasty of all is Melbourne in the 50s. Five out of six. Only dropped one.

I reckon the tigers 60s/70s IS a dynasty

and Carltons ISNT.

I dont think Melbournes qualify either.

In fact, I think only Richmond can truly be dynastical

Question TOTTY:

Can you have a double dynasty, similar to splitting a pair of Aces when playing Pontoon?

It seems to divide neutrals. Some are scathing about it as a spectacle. Not sure how much of it is down to not getting the results they want (i.e. Richmond losing).

Coaches tend to love stoppage-based footy because it gives them a semblance of control. I don't understand how an impartial spectator could prefer stoppage footy over our brand.
There is a train of thought that says a good Grand Final is one where the result is close and in dispute to the last kick. what percentage of the viewing audience turn the TV off when the game is decided? Chances are, it is a significant number.

The attention of the neutral observer who is only watching because it is the Grand Final drops off once the tension is gone. Our three Grand Finals have been abject failures on this measure.

2017 was over at 3/4 time. Some of the schadenfreude brigade watched for a few more minutes hoping for an implosion but that was snuffed out very quickly by Jack and Prestia. TVs off five minutes into the last.

2019 was well and truly put to bed with the score at 12 goals to 1. TVs off.

2020 held some interest for the neutral at three quarter time and maybe for another 15 minutes or so if you had no idea what was happening but, ultimately, it did not deliver the win on the final kick of the game.

On that basis, 2018 is the best of the recent finals, despite being a poor game of football. The skill and power that Richmond have displayed in the last few Grand Finals is awesome and they have played some of the most contested football seen in years. It is just bad for the audience when they win all the contests. They are supposed to split them.

Last edited:
The skill and power that Richmond have displayed in the last few Grand Finals is awesome and they have played some of the most contested football seen in years. It is just bad fir the audience when they win all the contests. They are supposed to split them.
Hardwick has become the Bart Cummings of football with his ability to get the team to peak on the big day. Although 2020 wasn't his best effort, he was off by about an hour.

I reckon the tigers 60s/70s IS a dynasty

and Carltons ISNT.

I dont think Melbournes qualify either.

In fact, I think only Richmond can truly be dynastical

Question TOTTY:

Can you have a double dynasty, similar to splitting a pair of Aces when playing Pontoon?
If Carlton had won in 71, would that have been a double dynasty? It would have been four flags each for two teams over eight years.

personally, I think it would have been an act of terrorism. Two evil empires pooling their resources to terrorise the neighbourhood.

Obviously I'm biased but I rate our dynasty higher than Hawthorn's or Geelong's. Probably just a shade behind Brisbane at this stage.

yeah, I find extremely difficult to be objective,

But I agree.

Objectively, Brisbane 01-03 the best side ive ever seen, closely followed by Richmond 17-20.

However, I have very, very little doubt we will overtake them

at the end of The Brisbane Dynasty, I think Luke Power was the only 'kid', at 23?

Tigers have Noah, $hai, Bakes, Danny, Jack G all firmly in the kid bracket.

This Richmond Dynasty has a fair way to go.

I think it lasts as long as Dusty's career, which I expect has 5 or 6 years to run

Reactions: 1 users
If Carlton had won in 71, would that have been a double dynasty? It would have been four flags each for two teams over eight years.

personally, I think it would have been an act of terrorism. Two evil empires pooling their resources to terrorise the neighbourhood.

I reckon we split these Dynastys,

and start a new one in 2021.

Lets call 17-20 The First Dusty Dynasty,

21-23 The Second Dusty Dynasty

and post 24 The $hai/Notorius/MRJ Dynasty (with Dusty in a FP)

who were those blokes who were convinced they could see these dynastys clearly laid out before their eyes, back in '16?

• Love
This Richmond Dynasty has a fair way to go.

I think it lasts as long as Dusty's career, which I expect has 5 or 6 years to run
Then we'll have a true fairy tale ending when he's carried off after his last game in a GF with his 6th Norm

Then we'll have a true fairy tale ending when he's carried off after his last game in a GF with his 6th Norm
And his teammates can give him a proper sendoff with all their Premiership Medals neatly tucked into their jumpers.

I've never really cared for neutrals.
Ill just take it on face value, we play exciting footy and have just stepped up and dominated every second best team for the past 4 years. No one has actually bothered us when it mattered.

2020 held some interest for the neutral at three quarter time and maybe for another 15 minutes or so if you had no idea what was happening but, ultimately, it did not deliver the win on the final kick of the game.

I think this year was different to 17 and 19. Most of the neutrals I have spoken to watched until the end as they were waiting to see what else Dusty would do. Or, did the change to a night grand final keep more people glued to the TV. It's not like the traditional timeslot where this is plenty to do on a Saturday afternoon if you don't want to watch until the end.

ive been contemplating how to conduct myself in these newly dynastical times.

I dont want to be brash, nor obnoxious or arrogant.

but geez its hard.

so ive decided to be brash, obnoxious and arrogant,

with truth as my sole defence.

Ive also decided to jettison all superstitions and pre-game routines for the foreseeable future.

If I feel like singing Tigerland loudly at quarter time, I will.

If I feel like publicly declaring the opposition full forward impotent and goalless before the first bounce, I will.

If I feel like not wearing my embossed bling tiger jocks to a grand final, I will

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
How many times have I heard, "you didn't deserve the 17, 19 and 20 flags."
I actually agree with these plebs.
Then I tell them, "you're right we didn't, we earnt them."
Tigers.
And today I get to watch the 2020 gf on a big TV for the first time. Woohoo