Sure know somethin', or Dynasty talk | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Sure know somethin', or Dynasty talk

Each dynasty had advantageous and disadvantageous factors compared to each other.

Brisbane‘s argument against:

- the merger handed them an unearned influx of talent
- had a larger salary cap than everybody else
- only 16 teams
- zero media pressure living in Brisbane back then
- noticeably less professional era compared to the dynasties that followed (Most clubs didn’t even have full-time recruiters yet, etc)
- benefitted from using their medical team in more grey areas than their opposition (e.g. injecting players at half time to rehydrate faster. Within the rules at the time, but it was an ethically questionable advantage that forced a rule change)

Brisbane’s argument for:

- they did it flying interstate more often than modern interstate teams fly
- Prelim at the MCG hurt their chances of making it 4 straight

Geelong’s argument against:

- Got lucky with multiple superstar father/son picks for free (Significantly more than anyone else has ever received)
- Never went back to back
- Only 16 teams
- Professional standards were only just starting to become the norm (full time recruiters at every club, thorough professional analysis of draft selections, etc.)
- Soon after, Dank and Thompson were charged with either mass doping or dealing of large quantities of illicit drugs. Just saying.

Geelong’s argument for:

- Felt like the clear #1 side for a good 5-6 years.
- Most AAs
- Team was so good even Chris Scott was able to coach them to a flag

Hawthorn’s argument against:

- Timing of the compromised drafts
- Timing of unrestricted free agency for GWS/GC’s foundation players disrupting list strategies for all teams
- The 18 teams included 2 of them being utterly non-competitive during this time, so it wasn’t yet a true 18 team competition.

Hawthorn’s argument for:

- The only team (so far) to win 3-in-a-row while technically playing in an 18 team competition
- Lost their best player to the expansion sides early in the dynasty
- They’d argue for 2008’s inclusion in the era (rebutted previously in this thread)

My admittedly heavily biased Richmond’s argument against:

- None

My admittedly heavily biased Richmond’s argument for:

- List was built with a handicap due to the compromised drafts from 2010-2013. (Finished 2nd last and only got Pick 6: Reece Conca as reward, for example). Therefore, Richmond had the most restricted access to young talent out of all the dynasty teams

- Full 18 team competition, no compromised draft policies, no advantages in any way

- Only team to win multiple premierships in an 18 team competition after GC/GWS grew past their non-competitive phase as witches hats in ~2011-2015.

- Won one in a global pandemic living in an interstate hub for 111 days against clubs that got to sleep in their beds.

- Won another one in statistically the most one-sided Grand Final in VFL/AFL history.

- In our non-flag year we still won the minor premiership and had the longest ever winning streak at the MCG. Random bad luck was a factor with a mystery illness infecting half the team before the prelim.

- Did it with more rule changes than usual across the span of the dynasty, showing flexibilith

- Lost the AFL’s greatest ever defender early in the dynasty, but won 2 more.

- Story is still being written with youth and one of the greatest players in history still in his prime.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Being biased, I reckon we are the best.

But putting that aside for some cold, hard-nosed analysis, which recent dynasty is the best? Been a lot of talk, us, Brisbane, Hawks, Geelong. Arguments can be made for each. All of Brisbane, us and Geelong dropped one they could or should have won to make 4. It still amazes me that we blew the flag in our most dominant H&A year. Brisbane were ripped off by the AFL in 04 by being made to play a home prelim at the MCG, Geelong kept kicking points to lose in 08.

I'd argue the Hawks are a small rung down from the other 3, none of their GF wins in their 3 peat were without question. Freo kept kicking points, and WC and Sydney choked or didn't show up. Hawks fans would say their Dynasty is franked by 08, I would if I was them, but I don't buy it.

For me, putting bias aside, at this stage, I can't split us, Bris and Geelong, and I'd have Hawthorn a shade behind.

Is Dusty The 2020 man??