Sydney Stack | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Sydney Stack

SCOOP said:
Cleary a troubled soul

Im genuinely a bit confused about this.

do troubled souls always finish last in shuttle runs?

Or did he rock in the corner in the foetal position while roar TV tried to interview him?

what am I missing?

The thing that needs to be evaluated is this , Is his talent so good that its worth putting in so much resources and time into getting him to the required level which wont happen in 1 off season and will likely require 3 to see if he will ever be upto speed and does he have the will power to continue, I hope so but think he doe not !

For a team like Richmond to go this route and continue with Stack he needs to be so talented that you would need to be significantly better than players like Castagna ,Butler,Higgins,Graham etc - I dont believe this will happen

Maybe its better to put resources into a player like Podhajski,Fletcher,Lewis

turk-d-tiger said:
The thing that needs to be evaluated is this , Is his talent so good that its worth putting in so much resources and time into getting him to the required level which wont happen in 1 off season and will likely require 3 to see if he will ever be upto speed and does he have the will power to continue, I hope so but think he doe not !

For a team like Richmond to go this route and continue with Stack he needs to be so talented that you would need to be significantly better than players like Castagna ,Butler,Higgins,Graham etc - I dont believe this will happen

Maybe its better to put resources into a player like Podhajski,Fletcher,Lewis

Tend to agree, he's not off the charts talented like some are making out. Doesn't really kick goals either so chances of being a small forward are limited. Played seniors and only had a moderate impact. Think people have been seduced a bit by the All-Australian selection.

In a funny way I see his obvious poor level of fitness as a bonus , for a kid to be able to find as much of the footy as his been able to with no tank shows has a “stack” of talent and more importantly footy nous.

I’m hoping the kid gives it all his got and becomes a 200 gamer, time will tell

bullus_hit said:
Tend to agree, he's not off the charts talented like some are making out. Doesn't really kick goals either so chances of being a small forward are limited. Played seniors and only had a moderate impact. Think people have been seduced a bit by the All-Australian selection.

Don't forget tho Bully not just his all Australian mate he won wafl colts player of the year and picked in there team of the year to. It might be colts, but that's not easy league either.I don't think people a over stating his talent. Agility and building a tank can come the question is if the kid wants it.

SCOOP said:
For me, he is the perfect type to take the punt on. Talent is beyond dispute. Cleary a troubled soul but the type you go for.

We have a talented list, striking out on the last spot of the list with a kid is no big deal. Especially when has this much upside.

I'm for it.
100% right.

daniel30 said:
Don't forget tho Bully not just his all Australian mate he won wafl colts player of the year and picked in there team of the year to. It might be colts, but that's not easy league either.I don't think people a over stating his talent. Agility and building a tank can come the question is if the kid wants it.

I'm just looking at it from the perspective of where he finds a spot. Pace not electric, 3 sec flat sprint, endurance poor, height very short for a mid, not a huge goal kicker. Then there's the fact he missed the SA game due to not meeting fitness standards. Many question marks here that's why I'm not sold.

bullus_hit said:
I'm just looking at it from the perspective of where he finds a spot. Pace not electric, 3 sec flat sprint, endurance poor, height very short for a mid, not a huge goal kicker. Then there's the fact he missed the SA game due to not meeting fitness standards. Many question marks here that's why I'm not sold.

Seems rather unusual for someone trying out for the last rookie spot to be invited to stay with the Senior Coach. I think they see it differently.

Tigers of Old said:
Hoping for Chol-like improvement in week 2. ;D

I know that is directed at me, you are in fine form today, time for me to block you on all devices :)

caesar said:
I know that is directed at me, you are in fine form today, time for me to block you on all devices :)

So tell us about how Chol went today , Was he giving it all ?
how did he look

so if Sydney Stack makes it, where does he play long term?

with his fitness levels its super doubtful he gets any game time in first 2 years
by the sound of it he wasnt at U18s fitness levels, so there should be improvement to speed and endurance. but he is coming from a long way back.
if he stays at relatively low endurance and only average speed then he wont be a mid.
talented or not

still think he should be signed onto the VFL team, with the aim to rookie him next year.

bullus_hit said:

Sounds like Sam Mitchell to me. Short, slow and passed over by many.
Time will tell but many experts had him rated higher than Ross, Turner and English. Very surprising but obviously rated him purely on talent rather than character

Have you seen him live DA?
What do you rate and where do you see his position long term?

Honest question as I haven't seen anything (Not many games here in france!)

tigerdell said:
Have you seen him live DA?
What do you rate and where do you see his position long term?

Honest question as I haven't seen anything (Not many games here in france!)

I haven't seen him live Dell but what I can tell you is that he was unfit yet played well enough against his own age group of the best juniors in the land to make U/18s AA. He also made the WA State side as a 16yr old so obviously very talented. He's hard at it and seems a contested player to me so perhaps eventual on ball? That's a question that is very hard to answer at this stage

caesar said:
Hey Bully, first look at Stack at training today, not going to crucify the kid but you can see why clubs overlooked him, he came 20 seconds behind the 2nd last finisher Egg-Smith in the shuttle run when the shuttle run itself only lasts for about 90 seconds. Conditioning guys have their work cut out. He got a cuddle from Dimma after the session, maybe just suffering from severe jetlag ;D
My expectations are duly tempered thanks Turk.
Not sure I’d be fool enough to judge a try out player for a rookie spot on his first training session , I’d be more interested to hear how far he’s come 4-8w in

If SS can get in 4 weeks of uninterrupted training (only 3 weeks left before Xmas break) then we will know if he will make it. In 4 weeks he should have experienced some rapid improvement in his running and skinfolds based on the fact he is coming off a low base.

Another case of ability and application meeting at the crossroads.

Dont Argue said:
Sounds like Sam Mitchell to me. Short, slow and passed over by many.
Time will tell but many experts had him rated higher than Ross, Turner and English. Very surprising but obviously rated him purely on talent rather than character

Mitchell trained and trained, and trained to get a chance, I dont see how they are comparable.