Sydney Stack | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Sydney Stack

RedanTiger

Tiger Champion
Nov 21, 2004
Never understood why , when he was doing well down back, and they moved him forward with mixed success, that the next move was to be dropped?
He only came into the side to cover for Short who had a 10 week injury.
When Short came back he was sent forward to add more bite and more importantly FINISHING GOALS.

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
I thought he looked equally impressive when he went forward initially, then he had an off game or two , there was talk of a disciplinary issue before he was dropped, but not sure if that was just rumour,

I’m not sure the drop in form can be attributed to the positional change , it may have happened anyway

Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Did have a bit of a drop in form: first year, drafted late, so I reckon he may have got tired which is hardly a surprise.

Full pre-season, has a contract, I reckon he will be back with interest in 2020. Be great to see, he is a real talent.

DS

Reactions: 1 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
He only came into the side to cover for Short who had a 10 week injury.
When Short came back he was sent forward to add more bite and more importantly FINISHING GOALS.
He turned out to be cover for Short, but it’s not why he initially came in. He debuted against GWS in Rd 3, which was the same game that Short did his elbow.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Stacky and Marlion man..... gonna be as exciting AF having these two playing firsts footy together next year with Sheds, Shai and Daniel.

Reactions: 2 users

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
He turned out to be cover for Short, but it’s not why he initially came in. He debuted against GWS in Rd 3, which was the same game that Short did his elbow.
Correct, he was cover for Rance.

A zero gamer was cover for Rance.

And he was.

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Way too talented to waste behind the ball. Should split his time 70-30 between forward and midfield with an eye to becoming full time midfielder.

We are lucky enough to have a number of exciting kids coming through but Sydney is the best of the lot. Rare talent.

Reactions: 5 users

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Slow news day.

Sorry PRE.

This kid could play anywhere. Back, mid, forward. Has all the tools. Once he builds a tank he is a midfielder.

Going to be tough to dislodge the smiling Baker from the HB line but for mine he provides so much .

Look at the highlights below.
And we got him for nothing.

Enjoy.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users

Don’t Argue

Tiger Superstar
Jun 22, 2019
He is, without any doubt, the best 1st year player I have seen play in a Richmond jumper since Knights.
Those dancing feet, the blistering pace and the over head ability make him a formidable player for us in the future.
This might sound strange, but too good overhead to waste in the midfield, because midfielders are usually too busy chasing the ground ball. Half back or half forward for mine.
Future multiple AA.

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
He is, without any doubt, the best 1st year player I have seen play in a Richmond jumper since Knights.
Those dancing feet, the blistering pace and the over head ability make him a formidable player for us in the future.
This might sound strange, but too good overhead to waste in the midfield, because midfielders are usually too busy chasing the ground ball. Half back or half forward for mine.
Future multiple AA.

Future multiple AA.

But a floating mid who can mark!!

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Future multiple AA.

DA, in the high pressure VFL game against Essendon where Stackman did his syndesmosis a couple of minutes into the 3rd Stacky had a staggering 19 possessions? playing mid and was BOG by a mile before being injured so certainly wouldn't count him out from making his mark there in time.

Last edited:

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
DA, in the high pressure VFL game against Essendon where Stackman did his syndesmosis a couple of minutes into the 3rd Stacky had a staggering 19 possessions? playing mid and was BOG by a mile before being injured so certainly wouldn't count him out from making his mark there in time.
He is a mid for me when he has the tank. Reckon he would be massive in the centre square

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
He is a mid for me when he has the tank. Reckon he would be massive in the centre square

I thought it was promising last year that the match committee had the confidence to start Shai in the centre square on a number of occasions and i thought he did quite well and offered something completely different, (another good offseason and he should only get better).

In my dreams i see Jack Ross stepping up to be our big bull midfielder next year allowing Dusty to spend more time forward as he did throughout the Finals series.

A seven man forward combination where Dusty Shai & Stack would rotate & have varying stints mid, (Shai & Stack only bursts of course). Whilst Rioli does roam up and down the ground I am surprised he has not proved successful mid as that was where he wanted to take his game at the end of 2018 so time to try something new.

Just had to put our forward line down on paper again:) wouldn't want to be a defense facing below, pretty scary

Dusty Lynch Rioli
Georgie Riewoldt Shai Stack

Don’t Argue

Tiger Superstar
Jun 22, 2019

Noted Caesar, although I didn’t say he wouldn’t be great there.
It’s just that playing midfield is about chasing the ball. In the centre, you can be beaten by a bad bounce or blocked by a bigger body.
Off half back or half forward, the best players are the ones that can beat their opponents in the air and on the ground, especially one on one. That’s where he’s hard to beat and IMHO most dangerous.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Noted Caesar, although I didn’t say he wouldn’t be great there.
It’s just that playing midfield is about chasing the ball. In the centre, you can be beaten by a bad bounce or blocked by a bigger body.
Off half back or half forward, the best players are the ones that can beat their opponents in the air and on the ground, especially one on one. That’s where he’s hard to beat and IMHO most dangerous.

Fair argument, will become one of those valuable magnets that coaches love that can be moved around.