Sydney Stack | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Sydney Stack

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Hindsight is always 2020. In 2019 Dan couldn't get a regular game, and the few he did he didn't really do very much. He didn't knock down the door in the VFL either. I remember him being slagged off by PREnders at the time. Stack had an amazing year, third in Rising Star as I think I read here somewhere?

I think I also read that Dan wanted more opportunities so was happy to leave as well. And he's killed it this year, amazing. I always liked him as a player and am genuinely happy with what he's achieved.

If we had a time machine and could dump Stack and keep Butts would I do it? No doubt.

Reactions: 3 users

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
Hindsight is always 2020. In 2019 Dan couldn't get a regular game, and the few he did he didn't really do very much. He didn't knock down the door in the VFL either. I remember him being slagged off by PREnders at the time. Stack had an amazing year, third in Rising Star as I think I read here somewhere?

I think I also read that Dan wanted more opportunities so was happy to leave as well. And he's killed it this year, amazing. I always liked him as a player and am genuinely happy with what he's achieved.

If we had a time machine and could dump Stack and keep Butts would I do it? No doubt.
To make matters worse Butts is apparently the best statistically performed crumber this year:

Reactions: 1 user

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
If he ends up back in WA with his family you can bet he'll never pull on a Richmond jumper again.

Forget trading him to west coast.
They don't have any picks left after trading them all away for Kelly

The Mole

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2003
This is not the Dan Butler versus Sydney Stack thread. That's another discussion.

You guys are so harsh. This kid is immature and has come from and extremely dysfunctional background.

He has had zero role models growing up. The fact that he got to an AFL list is a testament to him alone.

He has made mistakes and will probably make more. I'm glass half full and think that he will mature over time.

It will probably be another 3-4 years before we see the best of him.

Eddie Betts got into trouble early. So did Michael Walters. Give him some support you guys.

Reactions: 16 users

Rancey18

Tiger Champion
Mar 15, 2014
Yeah I agree with the last couple of posts here.

I am backing Sydney in to turn it around. He has had a rough upbringing - lets put our arms around him and support him to continue to develop as a player and more importantly, a person.

As for comparisons between him and Butler - I dont see the purpose of these at all. They dont even play the same position. For people to now be complaining that we kept one and let the other go is just hindsight rubbish for mine. As someone said - Stack finished 3rd in the Rising Star last year and had one of the better first years that we have seen by a Tiger for quite a while. Butler was languishing in the VFL and looked a shadow of his former self. Dont get the comparisions between the two at all.

Reactions: 1 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
This is not the Dan Butler versus Sydney Stack thread. That's another discussion.

You guys are so harsh. This kid is immature and has come from and extremely dysfunctional background.

He has had zero role models growing up. The fact that he got to an AFL list is a testament to him alone.

He has made mistakes and will probably make more. I'm glass half full and think that he will mature over time.

Eddie Betts got into trouble early. So did Michael Walters. Give him some support you guys.

Good post C. I too hope Sydney makes it. One of the best debut seasons I have ever seen by a Richmond junior.

Reactions: 3 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Yeah, I haven’t written him off. Hopefully he’s learnt a lesson and I hope he continues for 2021.

dimmauchamp

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2003
As others have said its not about the Butler comparisons. I don't rate Butler as he is a downhill skiier. Yeah when the Saints are flying he looks a million dollars. When they are under the pump he goes missing. Mark my words he will not replicate the form of this year. Had something to prove and now he's done it he will go back to his lazy, crusy game style. Did the same with us. One year wonder. Now on Stack. Yes he's young. Yes he's come from a troubled background and credit to him for making it on a list but I just don't see him staying the course of an AFL footballer. As I stated with list sizes reducing its not the time to be gifting spots hoping they stay out of trouble. Someone like Markov has done nothing wrong this year and in the few games he has played has done very well. Why should he be delisted so Stack gets another go. As an example.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
Let's just remember the criminal mistakes he made this year were to:

a) Not train enough during the offseason
b) Go and get a kebab.

He's a second year player.

With talent.

COVID adjusted, he's had a good second year.

Reactions: 5 users

Rancey18

Tiger Champion
Mar 15, 2014
As others have said its not about the Butler comparisons. I don't rate Butler as he is a downhill skiier. Yeah when the Saints are flying he looks a million dollars. When they are under the pump he goes missing. Mark my words he will not replicate the form of this year. Had something to prove and now he's done it he will go back to his lazy, crusy game style. Did the same with us. One year wonder. Now on Stack. Yes he's young. Yes he's come from a troubled background and credit to him for making it on a list but I just don't see him staying the course of an AFL footballer. As I stated with list sizes reducing its not the time to be gifting spots hoping they stay out of trouble. Someone like Markov has done nothing wrong this year and in the few games he has played has done very well. Why should he be delisted so Stack gets another go. As an example.
I don't see it as between Stack and Markov though. We dont know list sizes yet, but there would be at least 7-8 to go first before we even get to considering Markov.

If its between Stack and Miller/English/Turner/E-Smith/Garthwaite etc, I am sticking with Stack as the upside is bigger IMO with him than it is with those others.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004

Yeah, its a silly comparison. Dan was competing with Rioli and George for a small forward spot, not with Sydney Stack. It wasn't a keep one/delist the other scenario.

I hope we keep Sydney on the list and he achieves what his first year showed he can do.

yandb

Tiger Champion
Mar 24, 2004
Yeah, its a silly comparison. Dan was competing with Rioli and George for a small forward spot, not with Sydney Stack. It wasn't a keep one/delist the other scenario.

I hope we keep Sydney on the list and he achieves what his first year showed he can do.
He needs to because he was a passenger this year.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Peeps must remember how poor Butler was for us last year.

He played timid and cheated too much and didnt impact.

Lost his forward spot to Bolton and Stack when he moved forward because they both were impact players and then we won the flag.

Its no surprise he was looked upon as surplus.

The poor seasons from Lambert, Rioli, George and Houli since return and the loss of Dion and Sheds has amplified Butlers loss.

Had we had a full fit and firing side Butlers loss would not be a concern IMO, weve had no major impact from the blokes who made it easy for the club to let him go last season George and Dan with Shai going to the midfield was also robbingPeter to pay Paul.

Reactions: 2 users

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
Let's just remember the criminal mistakes he made this year were to:

a) Not train enough during the offseason
b) Go and get a kebab.

He's a second year player.

With talent.

COVID adjusted, he's had a good second year.
Apparently trained very well during the off season, it was the initial covid isolating that stuffed him I think.

Punt n Brunton

Tiger Purist
Sep 17, 2003
It's all between the ears for Sydney. He showed in 2019 just how good he can be, the talent is absolutely there, it's just up to him as to whether he wants it bad enough. We can afford to give him a second chance and let him prove himself. We'll know by middle of next season.

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016
Forget trading him to west coast.
They don't have any picks left after trading them all away for Kelly
West Coast wouldn't go anywhere near him even if they had picks. If he ends up back with his family about the only jumper he'll be pulling on is an Acacia Prison one.
If Richmond really want to keep him then they'll try to ensure he stays in Melbourne and gets on the straight and narrow. If they've let him go home then I'm betting they've given up on him.

• Angry
Reactions: 1 users