Sydney Stack | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Sydney Stack

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
Can't say I've seen any racism in regards the posts here on Stack.
More people trying to find excuses for him because of his apparently tough upbringing. A tough upbringing that seems at odds with what at least appears to be a very supportive family.
As for WA there's certainly a large degree of luck involved but give McGowan some credit. He knows very well that WA is totally unprepared and would make Victoria look good if COVID got lose here. The big issue is that he knows it and has done "smile" all about it except close the borders.
Look at the current state of ambulance ramping at public hospitals and then add a COVID breakout to that. We'd be toast.
Well there has been peeps alluding to his incarceration as a racial outcome. It ain't as you have also commented.
As for McGowan, he closed the borders to Australians! Aussies who are way less likely to have covid than the international "aussies" returning. Before I cop the international people are federal and internal Aussies are state problems, how about looking after all Aussies equally.
No favourites no imbalance just equality.
Myopic and bland leadership is McGowan's legacy. We could have had it so much better with better controls for all, maybe even a few decent footy games! But I do like the work that has been put into the roads in the last year so I guess *smile* the rest of the country and our people.
Go WA.

Reactions: 1 user

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Well there has been peeps alluding to his incarceration as a racial outcome.
Is there evidence for this, or are they just projecting their own biases?
A man has been jailed for eight months in Western Australia for breaching the state's strict quarantine rules twice.
The man is among at least five others in the state who have also received jail terms for breaches of WA's strict quarantine requirements.
https://www.9news.com.au/national/c...-covid19/35c04146-2da5-4dc4-aaa6-8c23b8871e38

FistFullOfDollars

Tiger Rookie
Dec 16, 2009
Is there evidence for this, or are they just projecting their own biases?

https://www.9news.com.au/national/c...-covid19/35c04146-2da5-4dc4-aaa6-8c23b8871e38

That man wasn't jailed for two weeks BEFORE his court date. He was taken into custody and had his court case the same week and was sentenced to Two months. Stack will have served 25% of that sentence before being found guilty of anything.

Also being held in Jail over Xmas and new year obviously has greater significance that some random weeks in September like the article you've posted.

Nevermind the fact in the article it says when he was found not to be at home during his quarantine they simply charged him but did not take him into custody. It's only when he was found to be driving and breaking quarantine again four days later that he was arrested.

Can you find any instances of people being taken into custody for their first offence in that state, not being given access to their lawyer and then not being granted bail and held for two weeks without a conviction?

Last edited:

yandb

Tiger Champion
Mar 24, 2004
FFOD it was his second breech in WA and going to a nightclub full of people is vastly different than driving a car.

It is drawing a long bow to conclude racism from this comparison

Reactions: 4 users

FistFullOfDollars

Tiger Rookie
Dec 16, 2009

FFOD it was his second breech in WA and going to a nightclub full of people is vastly different than driving a car.

It is drawing a long bow to conclude racism from this comparison

FYI I'm not saying his treatment is racially motivated only that his circumstances are unfair and that others have been given preferential treatment in similar situations.

Not being granted access to his lawyer prior to his hearing and then as a consequence being refused bail forcing him to spend two weeks in jail is crazy.

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
FYI I'm not saying his treatment is racially motivated only that his circumstances are unfair and that others have been given preferential treatment in similar situations.

Not being granted access to his lawyer prior to his hearing and then as a consequence being refused bail forcing him to spend two weeks in jail is crazy.
Bring denied access to his lawyer??? Surely that’s incorrect. He might not get a face to face in same room but Australian law enshrines the right of legal representation. If it was true the Human Rights brigade should have law suits from here to the next GF.

Reactions: 1 users

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
I'd imagine that it is because at the end of the day we all support Australia in the cricket here, whereas in footy we support specific footy clubs (assuming you are referring to Australian cricketers!).
That was my first thought Rancey. No one cares about the T20 clubs, because they are contrived and have no history. Football clubs are tribal. Passionate, long after the suburban affiliation has waned.

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
Apologies if this has already been posted on this thread or the Journo's board. Just saw this on The Australian.

Eagles great Peter Sumich backs Richmond’s Sydney Stack to bounce back from latest indiscretion​

• By Michael Warner
  • News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom
  • 4:16PM December 21, 2020
West Coast Eagles great Peter Sumich has urged Richmond to stick with troubled Tiger Sydney Stack.
Sumich, who coached Stack for two seasons in the West Australian under-18 team, said the Richmond hard-nut was “a kid who’s done it tough” and deserved another chance.
“I really rate the kid as a person,” Sumich said.

“He’s not a kid that lies and cheats. He makes mistakes because he’s still learning.”
Stack, 20, was arrested in Perth on the weekend for an alleged second COVID breach after being involved in a Northbridge punch-up.
Richmond’s Sydney Stack is in hot water again over a second alleged COVID quarantine breach. Picture: AAP Image/Michael DodgeRichmond’s Sydney Stack is in hot water again over a second alleged COVID quarantine breach. Picture: AAP Image/Michael Dodge

He is already serving a 10-week AFL suspension over a drunken night out on the Gold Coast in September.
“Personally, I think Richmond has done an outstanding job so far,” Sumich said.
“Sydney has mucked up a couple of times, but along the line there are a lot of players in the history of the game that have mucked up who have got second and third chances and have done it well.
“This kid is just needing more guidance.
“He’s still a young kid at heart and he was always going to make some mistakes – I’ve said that all along – but eventually clicking and learning and maturing.”
Eagles Peter Sumich says the Tigers would be wrong to sack Stack over the indiscretion.Eagles Peter Sumich says the Tigers would be wrong to sack Stack over the indiscretion.
Sumich believed Stack could still emerge as a genuine star of the game.
“He was with me for two years and he didn’t shy away from saying ‘I’ve made a blue’,” he said.
“He never lied and that to me is a really good trait.
“And I think that is where Richmond is at.
“They are working through issues with him and I’ve got no doubt he doesn’t lie to Richmond. “He’s upfront but he’s making a few blues at the moment.
“I’d love Richmond to do that (to stand by him).
“If they can hold sway and just persist – the kid can play. We’ve all seen that.
“If he got AFL fit, I rate him very highly. He could be a very good player. He’s one of the toughest kids I’ve seen for a long time and he’s got skills on top of that.”

Reactions: 2 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
That man wasn't jailed for two weeks BEFORE his court date. He was taken into custody and had his court case the same week and was sentenced to Two months. Stack will have served 25% of that sentence before being found guilty of anything.
flew in from Qld Aug 17
first breach Aug 22
second breach Aug 26 - taken into custody
court hearing Sep 13

The court hearing cannot be conducted until the quarantine period is served.

Can you find any instances of people being taken into custody for their first offence in that state, not being given access to their lawyer and then not being granted bail and held for two weeks without a conviction?
Syd was also given a caution over a breach in WA in October. He obviously does not take pandemic laws seriously.

This guy's first hearing was the same day as Stack's.

Fears Perth prison's COVID policy denying Russian man access to lawyer, interpreter

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016
flew in from Qld Aug 17
first breach Aug 22
second breach Aug 26 - taken into custody
court hearing Sep 13

The court hearing cannot be conducted until the quarantine period is served.

Syd was also given a caution over a breach in WA in October. He obviously does not take pandemic laws seriously.

This guy's first hearing was the same day as Stack's.

Fears Perth prison's COVID policy denying Russian man access to lawyer, interpreter

The only "ism" involved is sexism. Female prisoners can have their court hearing via video as long as they are gowned and masked.
It's the WA Corrective Services regs which need changing.
That would require change to legislation and they're not likely to prioritize that for a couple of idiots who haven't got the brains to realise quarantine means quarantining.

Reactions: 3 users

Rancey18

Tiger Champion
Mar 15, 2014
Does it seem strange that Sumich is urging us to stick by him despite Sumich himself having given him the flick (I believe?) when he was just 18 yo? Perhaps he has had a change of heart regarding how he should have handled the situation back then.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Does it seem strange that Sumich is urging us to stick by him despite Sumich himself having given him the flick (I believe?) when he was just 18 yo? Perhaps he has had a change of heart regarding how he should have handled the situation back then.
Sumich didn't give Syd the flick, he dropped him for Wa's first game in the AFL Under-18 Championships. He played the rest of the games and made the All Australian side.

Syd has had quite a few kicks in the guts, all of them self inflicted.

* Dropped for round 1 of Under-18 Championships after missing a training session
* Didn't get selected in the Nation draft
* Turned up in poor condition on resumption after the Covid postponement
* Kebabgate
* Cautioned for Covid breach
* Returned in poor condition for pre-season training
* Covid breach

I love the kid, I love how he plays, and love his story.
I'd love nothing more than to see Syd redeem himself, but I'm concerned that even if he is given another chance, the penny might never drop.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
I heard a suggestion today on the radio that Syd should be banished to Perth in the WAFL for the year to prove he is committed enough to play AFL footy. I missed who made it unfortunately.

Could you imagine that? A kid already struggling with the rules and discipline required taken out of a supportive high performance program and told to shape up with all the bad external influences just outside the club waiting to lead him astray.

That'll work for sure.

Bennnny

Punt Road End. The best place to watch The Tiges.
Mar 29, 2005
Melbourne
www.indieinitiative.com
Sumich didn't give Syd the flick, he dropped him for Wa's first game in the AFL Under-18 Championships. He played the rest of the games and made the All Australian side.

Syd has had quite a few kicks in the guts, all of them self inflicted.

* Dropped for round 1 of Under-18 Championships after missing a training session
* Didn't get selected in the Nation draft
* Turned up in poor condition on resumption after the Covid postponement
* Kebabgate
* Cautioned for Covid breach
* Returned in poor condition for pre-season training
* Covid breach

I love the kid, I love how he plays, and love his story.
I'd love nothing more than to see Syd to redeem himself, but I'm concerned that even if he is given another chance, the penny might never drop.
Dusty had many chances early on.
Ben Cousins had many chances.
He is a young man who has a poor family structure, has to fend for himself without role models to help structure his life.
So a life of deprivation can't be turned around quickly. Sure he has to grow up in the glare of publicity, how many of us struggled to grow up without mistakes?
So be grateful the club selected him, that we have seen him play, and hope that he gets on with his life for a few more years.

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
This is a kid that has demonstrated multiple times he does not respect authority, rules, the law or other people’s safety. He simply can’t be successful at a professional sporting club with these beliefs. He is a bust and will be moved on.......still owing us $50k which he won’t pay. Selfish flog.

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
He is a young man who has a poor family structure, has to fend for himself without role models to help structure his life.
So a life of deprivation can't be turned around quickly. Sure he has to grow up in the glare of publicity, how many of us struggled to grow up without mistakes?
So be grateful the club selected him, that we have seen him play, and hope that he gets on with his life for a few more years.
All those chances really did Ben a lot of good........not.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
I heard a suggestion today on the radio that Syd should be banished to Perth in the WAFL for the year to prove he is committed enough to play AFL footy. I missed who made it unfortunately.

Could you imagine that? A kid already struggling with the rules and discipline required taken out of a supportive high performance program and told to shape up with all the bad external influences just outside the club waiting to lead him astray.

That'll work for sure.
Considering Stacka is our listed player, there'd be no hope of him playing for Perth in the WAFL. Apart from that bit though, why wouldn't we keep him within our structure and play him a season in the whatever they call it VFL comp?
Keep him within our programs, with the support n guidance he obviously needs. Keep him playing at a decent footy level while doing all the required work to build up a proper AFL standard fitness base. Make him prove he's learning and growing some responsibility within his life while always dangling the carrot of a return to the AFL squad for 2022 and beyond if he's willing to prove he wants it. Stacka's only 20 year old, there's still a premium 10 years or more in front of him even if he's held back for a year.

yandb

Tiger Champion
Mar 24, 2004
It would be better if we delisted him and offered him a modest contract for our VFL side with the carrot of giving him a spot on our senior list if he gets it together.

He would still be within our system but at arms length.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
It would be better if we delisted him and offered him a modest contract for our VFL side with the carrot of giving him a spot on our senior list if he gets it together.

He would still be within our system but at arms length.
It would be over before it even started.
Won't work

yandb

Tiger Champion
Mar 24, 2004
Would you like to elaborate on those "chances" that Dusty had.

The only ones I can recall were being late for training a few times.

Chopstickgate was a fake story by a channel 7 journalist trying to get an interview with Dusty.

Trying to compare Dusty to Stack without the facts is a straw man argument.

Connors is a better example to compare with, he was given a few chances but when he was late for training and had Dusty in tow he was given his marching orders.

Cousins was damaged goods when he arrived and I can only remember a couple of issues in the time he was at Richmond. (plenty of issues long after he departed)

Reactions: 7 users