Sydney Stack | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Sydney Stack

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Interesting to see Peter Burge give Sydney Stack a decent and very public whack in the Herald Sun today.
He deliberately didn't mince his words; said Stack needs to commit to working on his conditioning.
Not what we wanted to hear, but certainly some tough love being metered out to Stacky by our fitness guru.
Oodles of talent; question remains as to whether he can get the most out of himself.
I guess the positive is that he is being given a mini rocket in late November, rather than March.

So all you guys that get on my case when I make comments on Syd's running and immediately jump to his defense have just got a dose of Burge's first hand reality so you can stop shooting the messenger.
In individual needs session again today Syd was trailing MJR by so far it wasn't funny, I were not going to put it any training report, as I have mentioned it previously, I were just going to let Syd work on it a few weeks to see where that got him but as Burge commented on it directly it again becomes relevant.

**A funny aside today, Syd was already being paced by one of the other fitness guys and Peter Burge, ( unbeknownst to Stacky ), was prowling the center watching when Burge cried out FFS Stacky! as Syd bent down pretending to do up his shoelaces :ROFLMAO:, someone should tell Syd that trick never works.

I haven't read above article but it sounds like Stack has not put in the running work during the break :confused:

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users

Tiger Superstar
Feb 28, 2008
What did he say for those of us without a HUN subscription?
Alongside the main article on slim Dusty, there were a half dozen updates on the fitness of players who had suffered major injuries last year, or those like Stacky who Burge clearly wanted to single out.
I've paraphrased the main point, which essentially was he needs to commit to conditioning his body on an on-going basis, with the inference being not just when he comes back for pre-season.
caesar's track reports have already highlighted he is being distanced in the endurance running.

Interestingly in the six players I was hoping to get an update from Burge on Broady, but he was not mentioned. I suspect that this is because he is the original low-key player, but hoping its also because his ankle is fine and not worthy of an update.
Soldo had an arthroscopy during the break after experiencing knee soreness at the end of last year. Sounds like a slow build-up to 2022 for the big man; no guarantee he'll be leaping for the opening bounce R1?

ps i don't have a Hun subscription and never will. Read it in a coffee shop. Had to sanitise my hands after, and that wasn't a Covid precaution.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 7 users

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
So all you guys that get on my case when I make comments on Syd's running and immediately jump to his defense have just got a dose of Burge's first hand reality so you can stop shooting the messenger.
In individual needs session again today Syd was trailing MJR so far it wasn't funny, I were not going to put it any training report, as I have mentioned it previously, I were just going to let Syd work on it a few weeks to see where that got him but as Burge commented on it directly it again becomes relevant.
I haven't read above article but it sounds like Stack has not put in the running work during the break :confused:
Old habits die hard. this is exactly the same issue as his draft year when he lobbed up to state training with poor skinfolds (and subsequently got dropped for the first match).

Reactions: 3 users

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
only seen Syd live twice , Swans Etihad , one of his real early games ,
I was WOW , this kid can play , reads the play , has composure
the next game was Dees ANZAC eve and that Viney bump , I had a birds eye view :)

now the challenge is to play to that level consistently

there are times on both TV and live you can see he is focused and determined

my fingers are crossed

Go Stackman
I was in a great position to witness that bump too, but i wouldn't call it a 'bird's eye view'!

Stacky hit him that hard, i reckon Viney had a birds eye view of me. :LOL:

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Disappointing but not entirely unexpected based on training reports.

Another wasted pre-season ahead for Stack just trying to get back to the level of conditioning he should have started in. Will be given yet another chance because of his immense talent but surely the club is losing patience.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Old habits die hard. this is exactly the same issue as his draft year when he lobbed up to state training with poor skinfolds (and subsequently got dropped for the first match).

didnt Sumich then declare him the best player out of WA ever after the 2nd match?

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Alongside the main article on slim Dusty, there were a half dozen updates on the fitness of players who had suffered major injuries last year, or those like Stacky who Burge clearly wanted to single out.
I've paraphrased the main point, which essentially was he needs to commit to conditioning his body on an on-going basis, with the inference being not just when he comes back for pre-season.
caesar's track reports have already highlighted he is being distanced in the endurance running.

Interestingly in the six players I was hoping to get an update from Burge on Broady, but he was not mentioned. I suspect that this is because he is the original low-key player, but hoping its also because his ankle is fine and not worthy of an update.
Soldo had an arthroscopy during the break after experiencing knee soreness at the end of last year. Sounds like a slow build-up to 2022 for the big man; no guarantee he'll be leaping for the opening bounce R1?

ps i don't have a Hun subscription and never will. Read it in a coffee shop. Had to sanitise my hands after, and that wasn't a Covid precaution.

Broady has been back with the 1-4 year players and I were surprised not to see Soldo but your post explains that. Samson might be required earlier than we think. that's a few athro's for Soldo now :confused:

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Disappointing but not entirely unexpected based on training reports.

Another wasted pre-season ahead for Stack just trying to get back to the level of conditioning he should have started in. Will be given yet another chance because of his immense talent but surely the club is losing patience.
Last chance.
We cant force him, There would be 10000 kids hanging to be in his position.
Talent can only get you so far before the lights get switched off

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
didnt Sumich then declare him the best player out of WA ever after the 2nd match?
But Sumo couldn't articulate what role he would be best suited for, that's the issue with promoting a 177cm player with an average tank, this is really Stack's best shot at a lengthy AFL career, he can look to Jarman Impey as some sort of role model but he needs to bust a gut from here. That position requires some serious gut running, the best are clocking 15km a match, not sure Stack fully grasps the work required.

Height - 177cm

Smart Speed 20m Sprint – 3.006 sec

Smart Speed Agility – 8.515sec

YoYo IR2 Level – 20.4

2km Time Trial – 7min 0sec

Would love to see how much he's improved on these numbers, that will tell a significant tale.

Reactions: 2 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Interesting to see Peter Burge give Sydney Stack a decent and very public whack in the Herald Sun today.
He deliberately didn't mince his words; said Stack needs to commit to working on his conditioning.
Not what we wanted to hear, but certainly some tough love being metered out to Stacky by our fitness guru.
Oodles of talent; question remains as to whether he can get the most out of himself.
I guess the positive is that he is being given a mini rocket in late November, rather than March.
commented a few weeks ago saying hoped Stack was working his arse off as the offseason was critical for him. Did the club give him a program and someone to train with as he's obviously a slack trainer and left to his own devices will take short cuts? Disappointing that instead of using the pre-season to find peak fitness and explode into the season, he'll just use it again to get any kind of fitness base.

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
I've said this several times, the ball is in his court. He's been given several opportunities, he needs to take them or risk finding himself on the footballing scrap heap.

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
Was it 6 or 7 pre seasons into #3 pick Dustin Martins career that he got blasted for coming back a tad porky & unfit ?

Yes, that Dustin Martin that had been in elite programs for years & had close family support

Just sayin :)

• Haha
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
I don't begrudge kids enjoying themselves over the break.
Youth is so fleeting. Especially for AFL footballers with increasingly less time to enjoy themselves.
It's so easy to forget Syd's still only 21.

Preseason goes for a long time & it's there to build a player's fitness base. That said Syd has got to go to work now.

Reactions: 4 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Was it 6 or 7 pre seasons into #3 pick Dustin Martins career that he got blasted for coming back a tad porky & unfit ?

Yes, that Dustin Martin that had been in elite programs for years & had close family support

Just sayin :)

I can't recall that one Taz, my only recollection of an off the rails Dusty is the first couple of seasons when Dusty was shacking up with Dan Connors who was the worst role model he could have had.
A massive difference between Dusty and Dan and Syd's early dedication to be elite.

Stig

Tiger Superstar
Mar 2, 2020
In individual needs session again today Syd was trailing MJR by so far it wasn't funny, I were not going to put it any training report, as I have mentioned it previously, I were just going to let Syd work on it a few weeks to see where that got him but as Burge commented on it directly it again becomes relevant.

**A funny aside today, Syd was already being paced by one of the other fitness guys and Peter Burge, ( unbeknownst to Stacky ), was prowling the center watching when Burge cried out FFS Stacky! as Syd bent down pretending to do up his shoelaces :ROFLMAO:, someone should tell Syd that trick never works.

Interesting @caesar . Not much has changed then . Miles off the pace is the word

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
I can't recall that one Taz, my only recollection of an off the rails Dusty is the first couple of seasons when Dusty was shacking up with Dan Connors who was the worst role model he could have had.
A massive difference between Dusty and Dan and Syd's early dedication to be elite.

I reckon it was 2015 or 2016 pre season, Dimma gave him a serve as did PB.

I remember an early season game we were getting touched up early & comments from the crowd that Dustin had spent pre season in the pub !

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
This is only Syd's 3rd full preseason isn't it? Not sure it's that massive a difference.