Sydney Stack | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Sydney Stack

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Sometimes things don't work out at a particular club and it's best for both parties to make the change.

Given our strong record in development I'd be surprised if Stack does much better elsewhere. I guess Stengle is the exception, Schulz another although that was a while back.
It took Stengle 4 years to mature after he left Richmond, and if Stack does leave it is possible he will follow the same path, i hope he stays, but a year playing in the VFL/SANFL/WAFL to earn another chance might be the making of him.

Reactions: 1 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
I thought Stack had a great second half of the the year in the VFL.

it would be a mistake not to give him another year.
I kinda think his form will be irrelevant when considering whether he stays or not, it will be more about what he did between Oct and March last off-season, what he has done Mon-Fri this season, and what the club thinks he will do at those times in the future.

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Thanks for your well thought out and polite response momentai.
It is very disappointing to me that so many place blame on Stacky for failing to live up to their expectations.
The easy conclusion is that such a failure is his failure, and should lead to his delisting. Sometimes I find myself reacting without the courtesy others deserve.
So maybe I got that part wrong.

Reactions: 1 user

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
It is very disappointing to me that so many place blame on Stacky for failing to live up to their expectations.
The easy conclusion is that such a failure is his failure, and should lead to his delisting. Sometimes I find myself reacting without the courtesy others deserve.
I am not blaming his failure to live up to his potential so far on him at all, in fact if you look back at my posting you will see the opposite
What I was saying is that other clubs will be very wary of Sydney given his back story. History of trading and drafting in the afl shows this is likely.
I want him to stay actually partly because I think RFC is the best place for him.

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
I am not blaming his failure to live up to his potential so far on him at all, in fact if you look back at my posting you will see the opposite
What I was saying is that other clubs will be very wary of Sydney given his back story. History of trading and drafting in the afl shows this is likely.
I want him to stay actually partly because I think RFC is the best place for him.

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Your wish for him to stay doesn’t emerge from the post I replied to.

In any event let’s hope he is to stay.
I can’t help but think that in the light of his
Improved form towards the end of the season that Dimma would have given him a chance at the top level, if he was actually thinking to sack him now.

Maybe it is part of a plan to re-list him as a rookie? Bad mistake if that is actually what is going on because I don’t think he will be there.

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
2019 is a long time ago when he played good footy my issue is with him is rocks up to every preseason not in shape and then takes half a season to get in shape you expect the club keep doing this on potential .Talent is there not sure on want and professionalism I rather kid that wants it bad and hungry to play afl.

Reactions: 3 users

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
Why do you think he hasn't been playing or a regular part of the team since he starred back when he first came to us? Do you not think he can take any blame for anything that has occurred and why he hasn't been playing seniors?

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Why do you think he hasn't been playing or a regular part of the team since he starred back when he first came to us? Do you not think he can take any blame for anything that has occurred and why he hasn't been playing seniors?
I am not an insider and I don’t have answers to your questions.
I do however think the handling of the kebab offence by both Richmond and the AFL, was unfair to both players.
I also think Stacky’s subsequent treatment at the hands of authorities in WA was equally poor and smacked of racial bias.
I also believe that as with the decision to take on Stengel, the club was aware of the likely difficulty it faced in bringing in these players in regard to compliance with its working rules.
There was a time in our history when indigenous players just weren’t recruited.
Happily that level of bias is no longer part of our club.
Finally I am also disappointed with what I think is a failure (by some) to appreciate the level of cultural disadvantage faced by both players, as evidenced by comments on this site.
Stacky is an absolutely unique personality
and I hope the plan is for him to continue
as a Tiger.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 8 users

jimbob

Tiger Superstar
Jul 20, 2008
Traralgon
I wasn’t overjoyed at the time by the penalties. However, the Queensland government was filthy on us and by extension the AFL as we were seen to be ignoring the guidelines. Queensland could have withdrawn it’s support of the Hub arrangement and we may have missed out on the opportunity for the 2020 flag. There is lingering resentment between City Hall and the Tiges from that season. Caroline Wilson has stated it more than once.

At some stage, regardless of the individuals background, there comes a time to wise up. I hope Sydney stays a tiger and does. There were reasons he was overlooked in the draft. He has turned up more than once in poor physical condition for the pre-season. All the players were clearly and firmly lectured on the do’s and don’t in 2020. He and CCJ deliberately chose to ignore them.

CCJ, former SA Captain at underage level, and earliesh pick for us in the draft is no longer with us. Syd, still is.

Marion Pickett, had his share of upbringing issues. Did real time in a WA jail. I’ll take Marion’s attitude over Sydney’s in a heartbeat since he has come to the Club. Syd has people like Shedda, Marion and co around him.

I really like what he could add to our best 22. But. It’s up to him.

Reactions: 3 users

Liam_Nissan

Tiger Rookie
Aug 1, 2020
Surely he gets another contract. If we’re trading all our early picks for Hopper and Taranto do we think we’re going to get any decent players better than him?

I’m assuming he’s improving his off field behaviours. Then again does he even want to be at the club?

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
Surely he gets another contract. If we’re trading all our early picks for Hopper and Taranto do we think we’re going to get any decent players better than him?

I’m assuming he’s improving his off field behaviours. Then again does he even want to be at the club?
He loves the club and the boys. He's always posting stuff in support of that on insta. That's def not the issue.

WildStyle

Tiger Superstar
Aug 24, 2020
Seems like a good teammate to me. Is always the first one to congratulate a teammate in the VFL.