Sydney Stack | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Sydney Stack

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
I reckon the only chance he has is as a pre-season rookie list player again.

We keep a spot open. He turns up to pre-season in good nick and does everything as expected and he gets added to the list.

I doubt we'll take a chance on him rocking up out of shape again.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
They aren't waiting for a offer to come in
So why haven't they signed him
He would be an automatic best 18 player at WC
Waiting to see who else they can offload.

I still think Syd will stay, the club knows what he can do they also know what others cant so they are waiting to see who else they can move on.

No one mentions George but there is every chance George could be told his opportunitiess going forward will be very limited and with only 1 year to go it might suit him to look around, for the benefit of extending his career.

Aarts and Martyn are gone ski for mine already, and RCD is likely to be delisted or traded for mine, Soldo name keeps appearing in dispatches but its scuttlebutt I cant see the RFC letting Ivan go. We need a viable 2nd ruck option.

Dow is not a keeper either especially with Graham, Sonz, Ross, Taranto and Hopper ahead of him. I'd have Dow on the table for sure.

GWS might be interested in Hugo as part of the trade for the 2 Guns also.

Simple net ins and outs for 2022 so far.

In 2022 - Taranto , Hopper, Bauer.

Out 2022 - Edwards, Lambert, Caddy, Parker,, Aarts,, Martyn, ******, ******.

Its likely 2 more couldd leave out of the 6 players below. I suspect one will be delisted maybe another traded.

RCD ? Dow ? Hugo? Soldo? George? Stack?.

I reckon we might be looking at 4 -5 free list spots (mix of senior and rookie) come end of trade period. Parker has vacated a rookie spot.

Most likely will be 4 but 5 isn't out of the question, it will depend on how many we can trade out.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
I reckon the only chance he has is as a pre-season rookie list player again.

We keep a spot open. He turns up to pre-season in good nick and does everything as expected and he gets added to the list.

I doubt we'll take a chance on him rocking up out of shape again.
Probably the most likely scenario Kong you might be right.

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Probably the most likely scenario Kong you might be right.
Has anyone heard from Grimes? How has he pulled up from the hammy.
He looked so disinterested this year.
He wasn't the same Grimes we all know
I wouldn't be shocked if he pulled the pin too.
My Outs are
Dow Trade
Aarts delist
Biggie delist
Collier Dawkins Trade
Martyn delist
Edwards retired
Lambert retired
Caddy retired
Ralphsmith Trade
Parker retired
Mansell delist

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Perhaps the club wants him to have next year's contract as a carrot on the end of a short stick to help him adopt good training habits during his time off? Here's a quick overview of his preseasons with us so far:

Season 2019: Best young player since Dusty

Preseason after 2019: Major setback from ankle injury + lack of training habits.

Season 2020: Got better throughout the season as match fitness improved. Missed out on a premiership due to the hub situation.

Preseason after 2020: Major setback in genuinely difficult times affected his fitness levels greatly. A step backward.

Season 2021: Strong finish in the AFL next to Rioli down back. Looked capable of continuing on with it like Dan did this year (both looked on the verge of having an AA season IMO)

Preseason after 2021: No reported setbacks

Season 2022: Rarely selected, then strong finish in the VFL as the year went on.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
I reckon Dylan was behind the 8 ball after a hugely interrupted preseason which included a hamstring injury.
He didn't look disinterested but he did look to be lacking confidence in his body & I reckon that explains some of his performances during the season where he was uncharacteristically off. He'd just become Captain & no doubt was unbelievably frustrated that his body let him down.

Big challenge for him next season to come back & stay at the high level he has previously withe that hamstring now chronic.
32 years old next season..anything we get from the 3 x Premiership Champion a bonus from here on methinks.With ? on his body, I doubt he'll be Captain in 2023.

davidc0055

Tiger Matchwinner
May 23, 2011
If Stack had played for a different club, and had the exact same circumstances as he has here, and was delisted, would we draft him?

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
We'd back ourselves in to change him. Have a look at him as a preseason draft candidate.

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Not sure on how many senior list spots we currently have and i think its going to depend on if we have a senior list spot for him or not.

Stack & Pickett must be elevated as well as Taranto & Hopper coming into the club thats 4 plus we will be required to draft 1 kid thats 5 spots we need and only 3 have been retired in Caddy , Lambert & Edwards

I believe its between 36+6 rookies 37+5 rookies or 38+4 rookies
If we go 38+4 rookies then we may just give him another year

Stig

Tiger Superstar
Mar 2, 2020
Perhaps the club wants him to have next year's contract as a carrot on the end of a short stick to help him adopt good training habits during his time off? Here's a quick overview of his preseasons with us so far:

Season 2019: Best young player since Dusty

Preseason after 2019: Major setback from ankle injury + lack of training habits.

Season 2020: Got better throughout the season as match fitness improved. Missed out on a premiership due to the hub situation.

Preseason after 2020: Major setback in genuinely difficult times affected his fitness levels greatly. A step backward.

Season 2021: Strong finish in the AFL next to Rioli down back. Looked capable of continuing on with it like Dan did this year (both looked on the verge of having an AA season IMO)

Preseason after 2021: No reported setbacks

Season 2022: Rarely selected, then strong finish in the VFL as the year went on.
You fail to mention his unprofessionalism away from the club ? He has ability to play Football , but outside the club is the issue . Can’t possibly come back to pre season again unfit . Surely not

Reactions: 1 users

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
For Sydney Stack to save his career at Richmond ( if he wishes to do so)

He would approach the coaches and make a commitment to only go home for 3 weeks and come back to melbourne and start his pre season early to get into the best physical condition he has ever been to give it 100% in 2023

Show the coaches he wants it bad

Reactions: 5 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
If Stack had played for a different club, and had the exact same circumstances as he has here, and was delisted, would we draft him?
If we had a list need that could be filled by that type of player, then why the hell not???? Clubs do it all the time, pick up an under performing delisted player in the hope of turning their careers around by giving them another opportunity.
Wombat Stengle being a classic example.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
If we had a list need that could be filled by that type of player, then why the hell not???? Clubs do it all the time, pick up an under performing delisted player in the hope of turning their careers around by giving them another opportunity.
Wombat Stengle being a classic example.
The catalyst for Stengle being at Geelong was Eddie Betts being an assistant there and as a mentor for Stengle. He also spent a year playing SANFL essentially re-proving himself
I always have felt that is the most likely pathway back for stack if we delisted him.

deedee

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 12, 2011
My Outs are
Dow Trade
Aarts delist
Biggie delist
Collier Dawkins Trade
Martyn delist
Edwards retired
Lambert retired
Caddy retired
Ralphsmith Trade
Parker retired
Mansell delist
Sack Hardwick while we are at it??

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
IMHO Stengle is a great inspiration for Sydney, let’s forget upbringing obviously not the perfect safe “ normal” for either young lads .

Their AFL careers off field have been very similar , imo nothing to unusual to most young blokes growing up in modern society, the biggest issue both have/had is simply maturity , it appears Stengel has matured to now have the ability to say no, have the discipline needed to be an AFL player which comes with been mature .

Contradicting to popular belief but both lads are very shy , I hope we give Sydney one last chance , it appears he has shown a better level of maturity and professionalism in the second half of the season .

Richmond is fantastic for Syd , big question Richmond has is Syd good for Richmond ?

Reactions: 6 users

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
……..
……...

Richmond is fantastic for Syd , big question Richmond has is Syd good for Richmond ?

My answer is yes, that he has been (good for Richmond) and he could be again, and that I would give definitely him a final opportunity in 2023 to prove it one way it the other.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
So do we?
So now you're asking a question to a completely different scenario.
We've already got Stacky, so we don't need to consider re drafting someone else's problem child. We just need to somehow get our problem child better.
Do we keep Stacky? Maybe, probably yes.
Do we adjust his playing role? Again, maybe, probably yes.
Do we delist him n re draft as a rookie? Again, maybe, possibly yes.
Do we just delist n forget about him? Again, maybe, possibly yes.

Lots of maybe probablies n guesstimates but the only answer to the Stacky problem is Stacky himself and we're all still waiting for the definitive answer to that question.

• Angry