TAC Draw - 2009 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

TAC Draw - 2009

Dilemma - do I sit at home and watch the Tiges v Lions game on Saturday afternoon or head down to Carrara and watch the GC17 take on Gippsland and, in particular, take a look at John Butcher???

BrisTiger24 said:
Dilemma - do I sit at home and watch the Tiges v Lions game on Saturday afternoon or head down to Carrara and watch the GC17 take on Gippsland and, in particular, take a look at John Butcher???

I'd have a good look at Butcher.

Maybe he was having a bad kicking day, when I saw him.

Went to Carrara yesterday and saw GC17 v Gippsland Power. I only really went to have a decent look at John Butcher. Gotta say, I wasn't disappointed. Butcher kicked 6 goals straight and was clearly the standout player on the ground all afternoon. His kicking action is quite unorthodox but seemed to be effective enough yesterday hence the 6 goals straight. He is one of the strongest marks I have seen in a junior for a while. Sticky hands, one grabs. Nice player.

Next week Dandenong come to Carrara and I'll head down again for that in the hope of seeing Scully in action. I notice, though, looking at previous results that Scully hasn't played for a month? Anyone know the problem? Is he likely to be back next week?

I have seen a bit of Butcher. I think he ticks all the boxes. Great hands, hard at it, good 2nd & 3rd efforts. However I agree with Phantom about his kicking, particularly for goal is a major worry. SIX STRAIGHT BrisTiger24, my God ! What, were they all from the goalsquare?

For those that are interested, http://www.latrobevalleyexpress.com.au/news/local/sport/general/first-win-for-gippsland-power/1506986.aspx?storypage=0 is article from the local rag about previous round between Gippy & Northern Knights.

How did Nathan Vardy go for Gippy. No 33, plays in the ruck? I have only seen him in a couple of games but impressed me in both.

Googstar said:
I have seen a bit of Butcher. I think he ticks all the boxes. Great hands, hard at it, good 2nd & 3rd efforts. However I agree with Phantom about his kicking, particularly for goal is a major worry. SIX STRAIGHT BrisTiger24, my God ! What, were they all from the goalsquare?

For those that are interested, http://www.latrobevalleyexpress.com.au/news/local/sport/general/first-win-for-gippsland-power/1506986.aspx?storypage=0 is article from the local rag about previous round between Gippy & Northern Knights.

How did Nathan Vardy go for Gippy. No 33, plays in the ruck? I have only seen him in a couple of games but impressed me in both.

Butcher was kicking them from all over the 50m arc. Some were simple, but not all. Vardy I didn't notice too much. He was beaten in the ruck by Zac Smith who looks like an exceptional ruck talent. Too bad these Gold Coast boys are spoken for :-\

casper68 said:
article in the herald sun said scully hasnt been playing because of school commitments

Thanks mate. Hopefully the school commitments are relaxed for this week, I'm keen to see him in action.

brisvegas have a look at mitch hallahan for dandenong he is bottom age is named on the ball, nearly every week is in dandenongs best and he is someone to watch for next year

casper68 said:
brisvegas have a look at mitch hallahan for dandenong he is bottom age is named on the ball, nearly every week is in dandenongs best and he is someone to watch for next year

Will do. If he's for next year, I hope he has a good look around the Gold Coast. Might need some familiarisation ;)

BrisTiger24 said:
Butcher was kicking them from all over the 50m arc. Some were simple, but not all. Vardy I didn't notice too much. He was beaten in the ruck by Zac Smith who looks like an exceptional ruck talent. Too bad these Gold Coast boys are spoken for :-\

Thanks for the reply and good to hear about Butch but as for the Gold Coast......... :'(.

Jrich said:
Anyone know much on Viv Michie from Oakleigh, looks extremely classy.

Hmmm!!
184cm, 79kg, Wesley boy, Feb '92 so GC17 get first dibs on him.

Watched Oakleigh the other week.

Saw Hoegel, McMahon and a couple of others.

I'll keep my eye out next time.

Viv Michie, had my eye on this guy for a while now, real class, silky skills. Looks like a future superstar if you ask me. Has bulked up in the past year and looks a treat..... Looks like he'll be heading up north to the new franchise in my opinion. Best 17 year old in the country without a doubt.

For all intending to watch TAC this weekend, round 7.

Please note that teams are without their elite players.

The best boys are lining up on the Sunday at Victoria Park from 9am for the 2nd Trial game.

The Vic Metro squad is here
http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?c=1-3020-0-0-0&sID=115732

The Vic Country squad is here
http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?c=1-3020-0-0-0&sID=116418

Also note that there are 2 U16 trial games at Trevor Barker Oval on the Saturday.

Phantom said:
For all intending to watch TAC this weekend, round 7.

Please note that teams are without their elite players.

The best boys are lining up on the Sunday at Victoria Park from 9am for the 2nd Trial game.

The Vic Metro squad is here
http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?c=1-3020-0-0-0&sID=115732

The Vic Country squad is here
http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?c=1-3020-0-0-0&sID=116418

Also note that there are 2 U16 trial games at Trevor Barker Oval on the Saturday.

Thanks Phantom. I was intending to head down the Coast tomorrow to watch the GC17 v Stingrays. Looks like Scully is the only VM participant, which is disappointing for me as I wanted to see him live. Any one else in the Stingrays to look out for in this year's draft?

The only other Stingray that took my fancy was Batchelor.

I've posted about him on the previous page of this thread.

Saw the GC v Stingrays on Saturday. Still don't know what happened. Scores were level deep in the last. Stingrays got a free 30m out on an angle just before the final siren went. Siren went, Stingrays slotted a behind and won by a point. I heard the Stingrays bench guys saying the umpires were deliberating over a missed goal for GC and that they were on 9 goals not 8. But, after a long deliberation, the goal umpires waved the flags on the scores and the Stingrays went into the rooms winners and were singing the song. Then, I look on the sportingpulse site and it appears the GC were awarded the win with 9 goals. Amazing stuff.

Anyway, with many of the Stingrays players missing due to state commitments, not many standouts on the day for them, except for one player.

I reckon I saw a future AFL star on Saturday, a Stingray player by the name of Luke Parker (no.2). This guy is very much in the Nathan Brown mould. He's listed at 182cm but this bloke takes contested marks against KP defenders. The ball just sticks in his hands. He's also good on the lead. But it's his evasive skills and his touch that make him stand out. Sublime. He did most of his work up forward but, with his touch and evasion, he stood out in the few times that he went into the midfield. He's creative and sets up guys all over the ground with correct ball use decisions.

What I couldn't believe, though, is this guy is the youngest player on the Stingrays list. He's 16 and doesn't turn 17 until October. Certainly not available in this draft. I'm not sure with the changes to the draft age whether he's even available next year. I'm also not sure if he's available to the GC this year as a 17 y/o. What this shows is how much development time he's got left. If they can develop him well over the next 2 years, he will be a superstar.

With the Gold Coast franchise getting the best bottom aged kids this year, does anyone know if they take these kids in a draft format where the kids don't get a choice? Or is it like last year where they have access to the bottom aged kids, but they have to agree to go there and sign on?