Talkin' Tactics 2015 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Talkin' Tactics 2015

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Ok so I'm a tactics nerd ;D

How good was it to see us hit the corridor and either lay it out to a leading target in space or send it to the hot spot?

I honestly cannot recall an entry to the boundary line. It was refreshing to see.

There are clearly two things that have changed over the summer.

1) The creation of space through hard running. The emphasis on strong runners (McIntosh, Houli, Hunt, Gordon, Edwards) is critical. It is too easy now to lock down the team in possession if they predictably go down the line on the skinny side or try and slice through with short passing. You need at least one guy to present into space. That's where these guys come in and they essentially won us the game last night. Clearances were abysmal. Against a side not exactly famous for hard ball gets.

I believe Dimma has looked at our list and realized we cannot replace Jackson and Tuck easily. These guys took serious heat in the packs and allowed us to at least break even in CP. Yes we have Miles and Cotchin, but not much else in the way of crazy ball winning power. So like a good coach Dimma is maximising what he has in spades - endurance runners.

It's all about the uncontested possessions, baby. All you have to do is make sure you pressure the opp. clearance and hoover the stray pill from half back. Loose ball gets, a chain of handpasses and we're away. This is a huge shift from Dimma's previous focus, which was obsessive ball winning and ball security going forward.

2) Did anyone notice we are keeping our forward structures in transition?

If Houli hits KMac on the chest at half back and he's coralled back over the mark, Jack WILL NOT LEAD TO THE WING as our key forwards have in the past. All this did was leave nothing to kick to and we'd wait for options to sprint forward. You cannot do this in 2015 - ball movement would be way too slow and the opp. would have time to cover.

What happened last night was the endurance runners would run FORWARD into space in the middle, creating overlap and allowing Jack and the support forwards to structure up in the F50 arc.

A huge, huge change from last year.

And all to do with endurance running. Not so much outright speed. For this reason we may see more first quarters like last night, but better second halves.

That's my tl;dr anyway :hihi

ps - Dimma and the brains trust need huge pats on the back. They set us up to win by 60+ points last night and we should have.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
I know Ivan has never been a shrinking violet, but his work in the packs last night was bloody tremendous, he used to do it a bit but he was getting down and dirty in the packs at ground level constantly, like it was directed. He was great.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
tigersnake said:
I know Ivan has never been a shrinking violet, but his work in the packs last night was bloody tremendous, he used to do it a bit but he was getting down and dirty in the packs at ground level constantly, like it was directed. He was great.

He was TS. We're very lucky to have him doing that as I feel we're a bit light on for genuine pack muscle.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Carter said:
He was TS. We're very lucky to have him doing that as I feel we're a bit light on for genuine pack muscle.

Maybe, who are our pack hunters? Cotchy loves it but needs protection and support, as Jacko and Tucky used to give. Who now?, Miles obviously but not the draught horse of the former 2, Morris but more of a pack hitter than internal toiler, Edwards can get in there but not routinely, Ivan as mentioned, maybe just more spread load?

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Carter said:
Ok so I'm a tactics nerd ;D

How good was it to see us hit the corridor and either lay it out to a leading target in space or send it to the hot spot?

I honestly cannot recall an entry to the boundary line. It was refreshing to see.

There are clearly two things that have changed over the summer.

1) The creation of space through hard running. The emphasis on strong runners (McIntosh, Houli, Hunt, Gordon, Edwards) is critical. It is too easy now to lock down the team in possession if they predictably go down the line on the skinny side or try and slice through with short passing. You need at least one guy to present into space. That's where these guys come in and they essentially won us the game last night. Clearances were abysmal. Against a side not exactly famous for hard ball gets.

I believe Dimma has looked at our list and realized we cannot replace Jackson and Tuck easily. These guys took serious heat in the packs and allowed us to at least break even in CP. Yes we have Miles and Cotchin, but not much else in the way of crazy ball winning power. So like a good coach Dimma is maximising what he has in spades - endurance runners.

It's all about the uncontested possessions, baby. All you have to do is make sure you pressure the opp. clearance and hoover the stray pill from half back. Loose ball gets, a chain of handpasses and we're away. This is a huge shift from Dimma's previous focus, which was obsessive ball winning and ball security going forward.

2) Did anyone notice we are keeping our forward structures in transition?

If Houli hits KMac on the chest at half back and he's coralled back over the mark, Jack WILL NOT LEAD TO THE WING as our key forwards have in the past. All this did was leave nothing to kick to and we'd wait for options to sprint forward. You cannot do this in 2015 - ball movement would be way too slow and the opp. would have time to cover.

What happened last night was the endurance runners would run FORWARD into space in the middle, creating overlap and allowing Jack and the support forwards to structure up in the F50 arc.

A huge, huge change from last year.

And all to do with endurance running. Not so much outright speed. For this reason we may see more first quarters like last night, but better second halves.

That's my tl;dr anyway :hihi

ps - Dimma and the brains trust need huge pats on the back. They set us up to win by 60+ points last night and we should have.
Great call Carter.

Our hard running into spaces was very evident last night. Slice and dice through the corridor was the order of the day. Run them off their feet. Ellis, McIntosh, Hunt, Grigg, Houli and even Miles just kept on running from contest to contest.

Our quick transition was a delight.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
tigersnake said:
Maybe, who are our pack hunters? Cotchy loves it but needs protection and support, as Jacko and Tucky used to give. Who now?, Miles obviously but not the draught horse of the former 2, Morris but more of a pack hitter than internal toiler, Edwards can get in there but not routinely, Ivan as mentioned, maybe just more spread load?

I think it'll have to be. I hope Conca can step up in this department as he has the perfect build for it.

Otherwise we'll be looking to shark a lot this year.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Smoking Aces said:
Great call Carter.

Our hard running into spaces was very evident last night. Slice and dice through the corridor was the order of the day. Run them off their feet. Ellis, McIntosh, Hunt, Grigg, Houli and even Miles just kept on running from contest to contest.

It was bloody exciting Aces, I really think Dimma read the writing on the wall.

So smart to instil a style that releases McIntosh, Grigg and co. The guys that AREN'T copping the hard tag.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Carter said:
It was bloody exciting Aces, I really think Dimma read the writing on the wall.

So smart to instil a style that releases McIntosh, Grigg and co. The guys that AREN'T copping the hard tag.
Our second tier mids are going to be the key. They all run and run all day. Malthouse locked down Martin and Cotchin but had no one to go with Hunt etc.

What we need is to get Conca to take the heat like Miles does and get Cotchin on the outside.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Difficult to combat hard running and fast ball movement. We saw that last year on the rare occasions that we did it, and they've obviously trained for it and had it drilled into them this year. Ivan said we needed to be fitter and now we are. Maybe Ivvy's got a future as a coach when he's finished playing.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I know you have been harping on about it for ages Carter but when we have any time and space we are actually one of the better ball moving teams in the AFL.

it's why some of us were not so sure about the constant calls for more players who are really quick over the pre season. yes it is important to have some pace in your side but it is even more important to have endurance runners who are really fit and work hard creating space and being part of team ball movement.

roacheee

Tiger Rookie
Jun 2, 2012
i lovedlovedlovedlovedloved watching our guys continually looking for , and taking, the opportunity to run through the centre square.

robinson said in his article at times our ball movement was 'frightening'

happy tiger hearing that today

hard gut running through the corridor creating the overlap and space and options

THIS wins football matches

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Carter said:
Was actually going to read your whole spiel Night Carter till I came across this comment. Once we opened them up a bit, yes we started to use the corridor into the forward line, but seriously. Did you watch the game?

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
It was great to see the players run and bounce the ball last night instead of kicking or handballing to a disadvantage as we have done previously.
Teammates have to work hard to become a target, and have to be manned up if the ball isn't kicked to them.

Bachar Houli had 9 bounces last night compared to 25 from 21 games last season, i like the tactic and credit goes to Dimma and the coaching panel for it.

B

Bill James

Mostly liked how we didn't flood our forward 50 but set up a defensive line outside 50 and deployed Morris as a largely misguided missile at the ball carrier. Made it a lot harder for opposition to get goal side of us on the burst apart from a brief period in the first half of the second quarter. All in all a much better plan and way better to watch. Hats-off.

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
Smoking Aces said:
edit

It was the transition that stood out for me, Smokin'.
So good to see the Tigers being positive and having a crack rather than the stop-start halter football of early last year.
And the thing I liked about the new process of transition was that it didn't seem helter skelter as it often has in the past, leading to a litany of errors and subsequent turnovers.
Early days yet, but the players looked a little more composed last night. Maybe the collective experience of the group is coming together as a combination.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
TigerMasochist said:
Was actually going to read your whole spiel Night Carter till I came across this comment. Once we opened them up a bit, yes we started to use the corridor into the forward line, but seriously. Did you watch the game?

dude, I know you've been bruised in the past, but let it go eh?

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
Good thread.
I watched the Malthouse post game presser.
He was prickly at the start but he raised some really interesting points about curtailing our players, ones that were effective, and some not so much. It was really interesting, as mick can be when he feels like talking.
It was especially interesting because he chopped up our game and talked about it from an opposition coach perspective.

I recommend it.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
DirtyDogTiger said:
Good thread.
He was prickly at the start but he raised some really interesting points about curtailing our players, ones that were effective, and some not so much. It was really interesting, as mick can be when he feels like talking.
It was especially interesting because he chopped up our game and talked about it from an opposition coach perspective.

I recommend it.

spot on DDT, it was really interesting wasn't it?

he begins his answers like its pulling teeth, but then somehow expands into pretty insightful obs.

his presser was twice as long as the winning coach ;D

Berwick boy

Tiger Superstar
Apr 27, 2004
DirtyDogTiger said:
Good thread.

I recommend it.
I rekon he looked lost DDT...was all over the place like he was genuinely surprised we won and had to re review his notes.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Carter said:
spot on DDT, it was really interesting wasn't it?

he begins his answers like its pulling teeth, but then somehow expands into pretty insightful obs.

his presser was twice as long as the winning coach ;D

The double screen with Stevo clearly shows Channel 7 are nothing but a-holes.