Talkin' Tactics 2015 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Talkin' Tactics 2015

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Carter said:
dude, I know you've been bruised in the past, but let it go eh?
Nah! No bruises Night Carter, just don't like getting sprayed with *smile* when people hyperventilate, sorry if a cranky old fart like me gets cynical on your excitement at times. Just a fault I've had for a very long time.

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
tigersnake said:
Maybe, who are our pack hunters? Cotchy loves it but needs protection and support, as Jacko and Tucky used to give. Who now?, Miles obviously but not the draught horse of the former 2, Morris but more of a pack hitter than internal toiler, Edwards can get in there but not routinely, Ivan as mentioned, maybe just more spread load?

Lambert and C.Ellis.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Pace & Space. That's what we are working with.

Numerous times last night we worked the 45 degree kick back into the corridor. And boom. Pace. Gone. Owning the corridor both ways looks like a priority. We made Carlton go over the mark for the vast majority of the nite. Through controlling the middle of the ground and making them go wide into nothing, then up the line. Bachelor and Chaplin dropped off numerous times to be that loose behind the ball. Both move off their man towards the dangerous space.

Offensively, we moved it quick. Even from the last line Grimes and Rance tried to bust it open by forcing the Carlton pressure to come at the ball carrier and create overlap. And our run from behind the ball was superb, hitting gaps at pace and going forward.

Ball movement with pace to create space in the corridor.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
TigerMasochist said:
Nah! No bruises Night Carter, just don't like getting sprayed with sh!t when people hyperventilate, sorry if a cranky old fart like me gets cynical on your excitement at times. Just a fault I've had for a very long time.

ok dude :)

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Carter said:
Ok so I'm a tactics nerd ;D

How good was it to see us hit the corridor and either lay it out to a leading target in space or send it to the hot spot?

I honestly cannot recall an entry to the boundary line. It was refreshing to see.

There are clearly two things that have changed over the summer.

1) The creation of space through hard running. The emphasis on strong runners (McIntosh, Houli, Hunt, Gordon, Edwards) is critical. It is too easy now to lock down the team in possession if they predictably go down the line on the skinny side or try and slice through with short passing. You need at least one guy to present into space. That's where these guys come in and they essentially won us the game last night. Clearances were abysmal. Against a side not exactly famous for hard ball gets.

I believe Dimma has looked at our list and realized we cannot replace Jackson and Tuck easily. These guys took serious heat in the packs and allowed us to at least break even in CP. Yes we have Miles and Cotchin, but not much else in the way of crazy ball winning power. So like a good coach Dimma is maximising what he has in spades - endurance runners.

It's all about the uncontested possessions, baby. All you have to do is make sure you pressure the opp. clearance and hoover the stray pill from half back. Loose ball gets, a chain of handpasses and we're away. This is a huge shift from Dimma's previous focus, which was obsessive ball winning and ball security going forward.

2) Did anyone notice we are keeping our forward structures in transition?

If Houli hits KMac on the chest at half back and he's coralled back over the mark, Jack WILL NOT LEAD TO THE WING as our key forwards have in the past. All this did was leave nothing to kick to and we'd wait for options to sprint forward. You cannot do this in 2015 - ball movement would be way too slow and the opp. would have time to cover.

What happened last night was the endurance runners would run FORWARD into space in the middle, creating overlap and allowing Jack and the support forwards to structure up in the F50 arc.

A huge, huge change from last year.

And all to do with endurance running. Not so much outright speed. For this reason we may see more first quarters like last night, but better second halves.

That's my tl;dr anyway :hihi

ps - Dimma and the brains trust need huge pats on the back. They set us up to win by 60+ points last night and we should have.

i did notice we are looking to use more of the ground & not seemingly limited to one side of the ground, i like it. it's how Port have been running sides ragged, especially last year. there were some wide entry's in the 1st term but after that it was more to the centre. kicking to an open fwd line is so much more potent way to do it. allows the talls to run into space and take easy marks. a big tick!

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Sintiger said:
I know you have been harping on about it for ages Carter but when we have any time and space we are actually one of the better ball moving teams in the AFL.

it's why some of us were not so sure about the constant calls for more players who are really quick over the pre season. yes it is important to have some pace in your side but it is even more important to have endurance runners who are really fit and work hard creating space and being part of team ball movement.

SCOOP said:
Pace & Space. That's what we are working with.

Numerous times last night we worked the 45 degree kick back into the corridor. And boom. Pace. Gone. Owning the corridor both ways looks like a priority. We made Carlton go over the mark for the vast majority of the nite. Through controlling the middle of the ground and making them go wide into nothing, then up the line. Bachelor and Chaplin dropped off numerous times to be that loose behind the ball. Both move off their man towards the dangerous space.

Offensively, we moved it quick. Even from the last line Grimes and Rance tried to bust it open by forcing the Carlton pressure to come at the ball carrier and create overlap. And our run from behind the ball was superb, hitting gaps at pace and going forward.

Ball movement with pace to create space in the corridor.

Hunt & Mcintosh were our two best players last night.

Two guys with genuine toe that also run all day.

Question marks whether they can hold that form against better opposition, but they changed the whole dynamic of our transition last night.

PJ in Osaka

Tiger Matchwinner
Nov 25, 2012
Osaka Japan
So I guess it was the first hit out in the season proper, from the sounds of things it took a quarter and a half to get going.

What was the significant change?

What triggered that run of three goals that got us back in control?

Is this a game plan that can last all season? I've heard the 1st four games of the season are the hardest to run out.

Do you give this game plan the pass mark?

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Leysy Days said:
Hunt & Mcintosh were our two best players last night.

Two guys with genuine toe that also run all day.

Question marks whether they can hold that form against better opposition, but they changed the whole dynamic of our transition last night.

I'm no running coach but I'd imagine repeat 150m sprints up the ground requires a certain middle distance type endurance.

Different to say a Nathan Foley, who used to pack burst, and different to Brandon Ellis, who gets from contest to contest all game when others have tired.

This mid level endurance is what the game is currently about. See corridor and run. Then reload and go again.

McIntosh and Hunt can do this at quickish pace and still deliver at the end of the run.

Excitingly we have a few form players who can do this.

Disco

Tiger Champion
Dec 4, 2004
Melbourne
I watched the replay and some of the running efforts of McIntosh were remarkable for a first gamer. Exciting for the club to have player options like this.

ninjahaha

Sponsored by Takeda Pharmaceutical
Feb 22, 2014
the shadows
PJ in Osaka said:
What was the significant change?

What triggered that run of three goals that got us back in control?

We ran hard to space, with ball in hand we ran hard, created overlap and carved them up. Our transition with the ball from the back line was aggressive through the corridor and we hit targets. Our second tear players stood up and showed class and skill as well as clean hands in the air. It was actually seven straight.

We kept the blues in their back line and our pressure created turn overs. They couldn't create opportunities to score and didn't for over a q of footy.

Based on seeing us attempt that game style in the NAB and us pull it of after quarter time on Thursday night my expectations and hope for us has increased. I have seen us play such skill full, one grab, confident footy before. This will make us very hard to beat for the bottom half of the comp. Wether we can apply it to the top 4 sides is the big question.

Only round one so many questions will be asked of the players, coaches and game plan. Cant wait to see if we have the answers. Exciting season ahead based on our consistent improvement and the way we played on Thursday night

Chimptastic

Tiger Superstar
Aug 22, 2014
Carter said:
I'm no running coach but I'd imagine repeat 150m sprints up the ground requires a certain middle distance type endurance.

Different to say a Nathan Foley, who used to pack burst, and different to Brandon Ellis, who gets from contest to contest all game when others have tired.

This mid level endurance is what the game is currently about. See corridor and run. Then reload and go again.

McIntosh and Hunt can do this at quickish pace and still deliver at the end of the run.

Excitingly we have a few form players who can do this.

It's called Fartlek running. We have good fartlekkers.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Game plan looks good. But how we're able to execute it. against a decent team and not witche's hats we'll only find out in 3 weeks.

FitenFitenWin

Listen to the thunder RFC
Jul 30, 2009
Brisbane
Not sure I agree with Carter's claim that we never went to the pockets. Clearly we did on numerous occasions. The difference for me was that we didn't do it all the time. When we did - it wasn't always from play hugging the boundary. Once or twice we got it to the pockets when there were easy options at the top of the square - I suppose old habits die hard. But generally I thought we mixed it up beautifully.

The other thing about this game plan is that I think the players will respond to it really well - especially the mids. It keeps them involved in the action sequences of the game a lot longer. Rather than push it over the boundary - set up for a throw in - get stuck in congestion and the head crunching stuff - you get to run and bounce and baulk and handball and link up. You get to do some of the creative stuff, some of the fun stuff you did when you were a kid and could show off a bit!

You'll run to space if you think you're going to be part of a scoring chain too - who knows - you may end up with it in front of the big sticks yourself.

Forwards are going to love seeing this working in front of them - waves of mids peeling all over the place. They'll get to dangerous places knowing there's a good chance they'll be delivered the ball where they have a good chance to score a major. And delivered from a free running player - not bombed up in the air in hope from a boundary throw ruck contest made up of congestion, seething grunt and confusion.

Compare this to our previous style where 2 or 3 mids would work the ball up the boundary - the rest of the midfield static and un-involved. The forwards wondering when it would be their turn - if ever - wondering what the point of leading would be when there was no space left to lead to when the ball finally did arrive.

I'm rapt for the players. I think they're going to love playing this style of footy.

Maneevo

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 13, 2011
With this game style, for the first time in years we should see easy goals kicked. In previous seasons scoring goals for us was so bloody difficult it fatigued the players to such a point that we'd look like getting run over towards the end of matches. Hoping to see a few blowouts this season once we get on top.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
FitenFitenWin said:
Not sure I agree with Carter's claim that we never went to the pockets. Clearly we did on numerous occasions. The difference for me was that we didn't do it all the time. When we did - it wasn't always from play hugging the boundary. Once or twice we got it to the pockets when there were easy options at the top of the square - I suppose old habits die hard. But generally I thought we mixed it up beautifully.

The other thing about this game plan is that I think the players will respond to it really well - especially the mids. It keeps them involved in the action sequences of the game a lot longer. Rather than push it over the boundary - set up for a throw in - get stuck in congestion and the head crunching stuff - you get to run and bounce and baulk and handball and link up. You get to do some of the creative stuff, some of the fun stuff you did when you were a kid and could show off a bit!

You'll run to space if you think you're going to be part of a scoring chain too - who knows - you may end up with it in front of the big sticks yourself.

Forwards are going to love seeing this working in front of them - waves of mids peeling all over the place. They'll get to dangerous places knowing there's a good chance they'll be delivered the ball where they have a good chance to score a major. And delivered from a free running player - not bombed up in the air in hope from a boundary throw ruck contest made up of congestion, seething grunt and confusion.

Compare this to our previous style where 2 or 3 mids would work the ball up the boundary - the rest of the midfield static and un-involved. The forwards wondering when it would be their turn - if ever - wondering what the point of leading would be when there was no space left to lead to when the ball finally did arrive.

I'm rapt for the players. I think they're going to love playing this style of footy.

Couldn't agree more FFW.

Don't take my 'no wide entries' call too literally, i just meant that this particular method of entry didn't stand out at all, unlike previous years.

I reckon we only used it to kill their momentum at various stages.

Dimma hates a really fast game but will probably need to get used to them!

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
Anyone notice how influential EdWards wAs for us at clearances?
He's got a really good understanding with Maric
Dont underestimate how that helps us.
The opposition has to watch edwards clear the ball.
They are already trailing Cotchin and maybe Miles.
They have to tag Martin and deledio. Grigg causes them problems and now we've got McIntosh too.

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
Apologies if its already been discussed here ,

David King claiming that counter attack footy wont get us far against the better sides ,

http://www.sen.com.au/news/04-15/david-king-take-it-easy-richmond-fans

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
kiwitiger said:
Apologies if its already been discussed here ,

David King claiming that counter attack footy wont get us far against the better sides ,

http://www.sen.com.au/news/04-15/david-king-take-it-easy-richmond-fans
So I wonder what happens to D King's opinion when our top mid field players don't all get clamped and manage to have their usual influence on a game?