Talkin' Tactics 2015 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Talkin' Tactics 2015

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
kiwitiger said:
Apologies if its already been discussed here ,

David King claiming that counter attack footy wont get us far against the better sides ,

http://www.sen.com.au/news/04-15/david-king-take-it-easy-richmond-fans
So I wonder what happens to D King's opinion when our top players don't all get clamped and manage to have their usual influence on a game?

Backbone

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 21, 2008
kiwitiger said:
Apologies if its already been discussed here ,

David King claiming that counter attack footy wont get us far against the better sides ,

http://www.sen.com.au/news/04-15/david-king-take-it-easy-richmond-fans

He's right though ... we can't have poor starts, contested ball and clearance stats like that against better teams. Better teams will be more effective going forward than Carlton, so they'll score more goals and they'll probably be more effective in stopping our rebound when they do turn it over, so we'll score less. Better teams would have had a 7-8 goal lead going into quarter time.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Backbone said:
He's right though ... we can't have poor starts, contested ball and clearance stats like that against better teams. Better teams will be more effective going forward than Carlton, so they'll score more goals and they'll probably be more effective in stopping our rebound when they do turn it over, so we'll score less. Better teams would have had a 7-8 goal lead going into quarter time.
Contested ball and clearances were in fact our strength last year in our late run and also in 2013 when we won 15 games so we probably shouldn't be too concerned about one match

Bennnny

Punt Road End. The best place to watch The Tiges.
Mar 29, 2005
Melbourne
www.indieinitiative.com
The game changed because we finally applied sustained pressure in the forward line and started to hold them up. I sensed it at the game, told the fellow Punt Road Enders and it happened.

Until they raise their eyes and check for opposition players when handballing and select the best option the we will be in trouble.

Houli need to balance better after a long run. Kicks poorly on the forward line.

We went wide a few times in the forward line when better options presented.

TigerArmySoldier01

Tiger Matchwinner
Jul 3, 2004
Melbourne
On the centre clearances which is a big worry. I was surprised we didn't try griffo in there.... Wood was too tall and hit his hands on everything against Ivan (in the centre). Around the ground Ivan was too strong and ragged dolled wood.

Griffo is out back up ruck men and fwd so we need to use him as a ruckman when required. Getting him to try to out jump wood at the centre clearance is something I didn't think we tried.

The loss of tuck n Jackson leaves a hole for lambert or arnott to fill. Conca isn't the answer to that mid role IMO.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
TigerArmySoldier01 said:
On the centre clearances which is a big worry. I was surprised we didn't try griffo in there.... Wood was too tall and hit his hands on everything against Ivan (in the centre). Around the ground Ivan was too strong and ragged dolled wood.

Griffo is out back up ruck men and fwd so we need to use him as a ruckman when required. Getting him to try to out jump wood at the centre clearance is something I didn't think we tried.

The loss of tuck n Jackson leaves a hole for lambert or arnott to fill. Conca isn't the answer to that mid role IMO.

Yeah we're gonna need more stiffness in the packs I fear TAS.

Maybe the Hampster needs to bring his missus in for pre-game pep talks.

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
Before we hand ourselves the premiership, it is very very hard to keep involved when you red vest a player early.
It's usually always injury related and it ruins rotations. Plus you don't have a guy like Daisy thomas linking up play either and running toward goals. They tired and we Took advantage.
We red vested conca early in our 2013 final and we were run down. The score worms from both games probably look the same. The Eagles red vested brown and were run down. The problem for the team with the injury is that the new guy comes on, and when the opposition make their sub move, they have a fresh guy late and you don't. It really helps.

We might not be that happy today if that injury didn't occur.
We weren't running with them at all. It was just like our final v port only carlton aren't as good. Cotchin got on the end of a brilliant back line rebound and missed from dead in front. Poor captaining. You lead by example and kick those. Jack would have nailed it. We muffed a number of shots at goal.

Our clearances sucked when Cotchin was on ball. Edwards proved that having an injury free pre-season makes a difference. I know Cotch and lids will be right to go in a month but until then we need to be wary.

Actually it's a really good sign that COtchin was off touch with match fitness, lids flashed in and out, Martin was sat on, and so was Brandon. However we got up through Mcintosh miles edwards Grigga, Hunt.

Our defence was pretty good. Rance is uber-good. I know we have Dave up our sleeve but Alex Rance is amazing. He's Buddy of the Back line, only with better skills. He's actually more like the animal tiger than anyone else, except maybe Deledio. They can both go to ground and bounce up sprinting.
We can't let Rance leave.

Other backline guys who played well were Batch Bachar Houli, Vlastuin is a monster, grimes got better after some panicky turnovers.

Morris put the required pressure on. The vocal knuckle heads don't like him but the truth is, many goals start from half back and it's a big help to shut that outlet down. Lloyd is 'mr reliable genius' with the ball.

This week we need to work on our contested footy and clearance game. The Western Bulldogs stats showed they are alright in those areas. We should beat them on the outside but we need both aspects of the game working.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
From all reports in the rooms, the players were doing anything, but getting carried away. I think they'll be planning to sharpen everything up against the Dogs. The side has a new attitude and a professionalism about it that hasn't been present for quite some time.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
CarnTheTiges said:
From all reports in the rooms, the players were doing anything, but getting carried away. I think they'll be planning to sharpen everything up against the Dogs. The side has a new attitude and a professionalism about it that hasn't been present for quite some time.
That was very obvious to me. Even the song was very muted. It was like " ok it's good to win but we have a lot bigger fish to fry than this one"

B

Bill James

Bill James said:
That and we have changed our style of play. We used to run the ball hard with lots of bounces with low tackle counts. Grigg is very obviously a runner not a tackler, he would rebound 50 a lot but still get down the ground and get inside 50's and even take a lot of marks inside 50 and kick goals. Now we are more likely to kick the ball down the ground in a controlled possession game to a more congested F50 with a lot more offensive tackling pressure. This doesn't suit Grigg's strengths and he finds it a lot harder to contribute like he used to. A couple of years ago Grigg had 560 disposals kicked 18 goals and took 16 marks inside 50. This year his disposal averages and inside 50's are 20% down and he has taken only 1 mark inside 50. His tackling numbers are actually up but its just not something he is good at.

Two years ago he would have been in our top 10 players, now, they way we play and the way he plays, he would be in our first 18 but on the bubble.

Early days, but if we have opened up our game plan and given the forward pressure responsibility to Steve Morris rather than the whole damn team at once, then I would expect Grigg to be a major beneficiary. Last year he kicked 3:6, this year he has 2:2 in the first game. Still like to seem him lay effective tackles and chase, but he is what he is.

B

Bill James

Bill James said:
Have the players been told not to run?

Last year 4th in the competition with 14 bounces per game. This year 14th with 4.5 per game. Ten less times breaking the lines, in a game where there are only 50 inside 50's per game this is a dramatic drop in the potential quality of our forward 50 entries.

Why?
At the end of April last year our run was non existent. By the end of the 2014 our average bounces had clawed its way back up to average 9 per game and we started winning games. Against the Blues on Thursday 27 bounces!!!. Holy hell if we keep this up I might enjoy my footy again. The usual suspects, Lids, Houli, Grigg but add in McIntosh and Hunt and it got a bit crazy.

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
Yeah Grigg is a bit of an offensive weapon and with him released from tagger duties he'll be pretty high on the goal kicking table by round 22. I'd say he'll be ok for bounce stats too.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Bill James said:
At the end of April last year our run was non existent. By the end of the 2014 our average bounces had clawed its way back up to average 9 per game and we started winning games. Against the Blues on Thursday 27 bounces!!!. Holy hell if we keep this up I might enjoy my footy again. The usual suspects, Lids, Houli, Grigg but add in McIntosh and Hunt and it got a bit crazy.
Chaplin even had a few on one of his forays out of the back line.

ninjahaha

Sponsored by Takeda Pharmaceutical
Feb 22, 2014
the shadows
RE the Kingee article...

I have concerns over extraction also. Like others have stated the loss of Tuckee and jacko have left us a bit short until we can find that same hard as a cats head approach. You don't know what you've got till its gone! Maybe ole thomas may have some value yet unless someone else can step up and do it to an AFL standard!

On a positive note talking of cats heads, the handbags where one of the worst teams for winning there own ball last year and still where a dam fine side. There is also the fact that many preseason watchers in the media including guys like Cam Moons have noted a move to more attacking footy which intern should mean more turnovers.

Interesting to see what unfolds. The thing that has me feeling more confident than in a very long time was the way we played on the outside. We got it out of the packs with quick hands. We ran with the ball, broke lines and hit up targets up field. We looked polished, and the number of times we had chains without error is exactly what the better sides have always done to us.

ie we have always gone in hard, done the hard work only to see it come out and us get carved up by sides with skill and structure.

FitenFitenWin

Listen to the thunder RFC
Jul 30, 2009
Brisbane
ninjahaha said:
RE the Kingee article...

I have concerns over extraction also. Like others have stated the loss of Tuckee and jack have left us a bit short until we can find that same hard as a cats head approach. You don't know what you've got till its gone! Maybe ole thomas may have some value yet unless someone else can step up and do it to an AFL standard!

On a positive note talking of cats heads, the handbags where one of the worst teams for winning there own ball last year and still where a dam fine side. There is also the fact that many preseason watchers in the media including guys like Cam Moons have noted a move to more attacking footy which intern should mean more turnovers.

Interesting to see what unfolds. The thing that has me feeling more confident than in a very long time was the way we played on the outside. We got it out of the packs with quick hands. We ran with the ball, broke lines and hit up targets up field. We looked polished, and the number of times we had chains without error is exactly what the better sides have always done to us.

ie we have always gone in hard, done the hard work only to see it come out and us get carved up by sides with skill and structure.

Yep. Agree with all of that. Spot on.

Col.E.Kurtz

Tiger Legend
Apr 4, 2005
Carter said:
Yeah we're gonna need more stiffness in the packs I fear TAS.

Maybe the Hampster needs to bring his missus in for pre-game pep talks.

Well played.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Carter said:
dude, I know you've been bruised in the past, but let it go eh?

Watch out TM, if you keep pointing out facts Cartman will start PMing you begging you to stop disagreeing with him.

Having said that Cartman your post does have some merit, even though you probably composed it in advance of the game. There certainly was an emphasis on harder running into space from what I could see. How much of this was down to a new approach and how much was Carlton's failure to run back hard enough we'll see over the next few weeks. The Doggies are pretty quick and look well drilled so this might give us a clue.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Bill James said:

McIntosh and Hunt could barely find two metres between them on Satdee, BJ. Credit to the Dogs, looks like this Beveridge fella really knows how to set up.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
ninjahaha said:
On a positive note talking of cats heads, the handbags where one of the worst teams for winning there own ball last year and still where a dam fine side.

I think with Lambert going down and Conca AWOL, we're gonna have to head down this path Ninja.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Chimptastic said:
It's called Fartlek running. We have good fartlekkers.

Had to look it up ;D

I do believe Craig McDermott was the original exponent of Fartlek running, particularly on ball release.