Talkin' Tactics 2023 (Tactics of Mistake) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Talkin' Tactics 2023 (Tactics of Mistake)

The effort is still there so Dimma still has the players faith which is great.

However I honestly think the way we are playing is so taxing physically compared to other teams now.

The good sides I watch seemingly hit the target with relative ease. It's simply keepings off with the stand rule if you have players who can spot up a lead.

Our side is always having to expend energy chasing tail & trying win the footy back because our bloody skill errors keep happening.

It's no wonder we can sustain the efforts for 4 quarters. We're physically cooking ourselves.
We played the same way even in our premiership years. Difference was fitness levels and younger list. Deduct 3 years off Cotchin, Martin, Riewoldt, Grimes, Nank etc and we win all games we have played this year.

Also think we miss the real creative type ala Sheds. He was another that would always step up when the tide was against us and somehow create a goal scoring opportunity.

I think we may have actually been able to maintain our run if our drafting was better. The likes of RCD, Martyn, Ross, Dow etc should be the ones now stepping in with fresh bodies and enough games in the bag to take control of games. We missed that draft and now we need to wait a few years for the new batch to come through while also trying to maintain a decent amount of seasoned bodies on the other end. Going to be interesting.

Reactions: 2 users
We played the same way even in our premiership years. Difference was fitness levels and younger list. Deduct 3 years off Cotchin, Martin, Riewoldt, Grimes, Nank etc and we win all games we have played this year.
They changed the rules from the premiership years though to *smile* us.
It's time to stop thinking we can do what we did in those times regardless of the personnel.

Been saying it for a while..
Chaos out. Clinical in. This is what the AFL wants.

They've made it far easier for the ball carrier but we keep shooting ourselves in the foot due to poor execution around the ground & in front of goals.
I believe many of our repeated errors are compounded due to fatigue.

Think Dimma is aware of it but is hamstrung by talent at his disposal. 'Richmond beating Richmond'.
Castagna's already been a casualty of the need for change.

We need to draft & recruit players with good skill sets. Pendlebury still looks good because his disposal is elite & pressure is reduced. (Insert Basketball joke here)

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
They changed the rules from the premiership years though to *smile* us.
It's time to stop thinking we can do what we did in those times regardless of the personnel.

Been saying it for a while..
Chaos out. Clinical in. This is what the AFL wants.

They've made it far easier for the ball carrier but we keep shooting ourselves in the foot due to poor execution around the ground & in front of goals.
I believe many of our repeated errors are compounded due to fatigue.

Think Dimma is aware of it but is hamstrung by talent at his disposal.
Castagna's already been a casualty of the need for change.

We need to draft & recruit players with good skill sets. Pendlebury still looks good because his disposal is elite & pressure is reduced. (Insert Basketball joke here)
Don't disagree but then that makes the recruiting of Taranto & Hopper an interesting talking point as both of them have suspect execution skills.

I don't think the game has evolved as much as people are making out. The one team i would say play their own brand is the Cats. They don't play manic, high pressure football. They play a controlled tempo game and have the skills to execute. They have actually played that way for years. Always been a highly skilled team the Cats going back to the Ablett Sr years. Problem is finals and in particular Prelims and Grand Finals are a different kettle of fish. It is all about pressure, pressure and more pressure. It is why we were able to win 3 flags in 4 years. It is why the Cats have stumbled on so many occasions.

Watch the Pies of 2022 and 2023 and you are watching the Tigers of 2017.

Reactions: 4 users
Love this thread. Everyone - brilliant commentary. Not going to say any more - don’t want to bring the level down.

Except - *smile* umpires!

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Don't disagree but then that makes the recruiting of Taranto & Hopper an interesting talking point as both of them have suspect execution skills.

I don't think the game has evolved as much as people are making out. The one team i would say play their own brand is the Cats. They don't play manic, high pressure football. They play a controlled tempo game and have the skills to execute. They have actually played that way for years. Always been a highly skilled team the Cats going back to the Ablett Sr years. Problem is finals and in particular Prelims and Grand Finals are a different kettle of fish. It is all about pressure, pressure and more pressure. It is why we were able to win 3 flags in 4 years. It is why the Cats have stumbled on so many occasions.

Your choice of words is revealing.

While the useless AFL media salivate and claim a revolution, what is happening is actually evolution.

Collingwood, with the help of one of our former assistants (since when do multiple premiership teams not lose assistants to head coaching jobs? Never), has evolved what Richmond did and is using the players at his disposal to edge the way the game is played forward a bit.

The more I read the above the more I am also convinced of the ability of good teams to bottle up the opposition for periods of a game leaving them the energy to unleash. This is always problematic when you are not as good as you spend so much energy chasing.

DS

Reactions: 5 users

The cats play a different style. They rely on strong-bodied, contested ball and marking players, but they also deliver the ball very well. They can go fast (implemented in '21 after losing the flag to us in '20) if they need to and did this when we actually got back into the game and on top, to win by 3pts in that infamous game where Stewart hit Prestia). Cats are strong in the air but have included some pacy and hard-running players like Stengle, Close and Miers.

The current Pies are close to 'the Tigers of 2017' but with far higher quality disposal. McCrae has moved the/our game on.