Talking Politics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Talking Politics

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
It’s a pity, John Pesutto is a good man. I have spoken to him on a few occasions and was pleased when he became liberal leader.
The problem is that there is no place for good men (or women) in the leadership of todays Liberal Party

Thats it.

position vacant - Leader Liberal party

Seeking evangelical ideolog. disordered personality and empathy in the bottom percentile desirable. Demonstrated experience in strategically vilifying and marginalising minorities essential

Good men need not apply.

I hope they never change

On moira deeming - this is all a calculated job application for a job on Sky - she's smart enough to realise shes too dumb for politics

Reactions: 1 user

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Good to see Labor's 15 billion dollar reconstruction fund has been passed in the senate, guess who didn't vote for it, yep the Liberals, they haven't learnt anything.
After shutting down Australia's car manufacturing industry, and manufacturing in general including research and development you'd think the Libs would've learnt their lesson.

It's a start from Labor, but it's going to take a while to fix up the mess that the Libs left behind, especially with the trillion dollar debt they left the Australian taxpayer.

Eryk Bagshaw

August 26, 2019 — 6.02pm

Budget cuts risk driving Australian government investment in productivity-boosting research to among the lowest levels in the developed world, global figures show, amid calls from Treasurer Josh Frydenberg's for business to invest in innovation to help grow the economy.

The Coalition has slashed $4 billion from research and development (R&D) tax incentives in the past two federal budgets, while clawing back millions of dollars in previously approved claims.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
What I don't understand is what companies and organizations are donating to the Libs giving more voice to the RWNJ Culture Warriors. The Libs can only keep moving, and have internal power brokers, push more to the whacky right if that's where the money is.

Look at the US now. It's scarily dysfunctional and in the midst of a massive civil culture war that's tearing the country apart. We need to do whatever we can to avoid going down that path. The seeds have been planted here and we've already got whackjobs believing and quoting Sky after Dark verbatim. Though the polls do suggest Australians haven't succumbed to culture wars yet, which is a good thing.

Reactions: 1 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
What I don't understand is what companies and organizations are donating to the Libs giving more voice to the RWNJ Culture Warriors. The Libs can only keep moving, and have internal power brokers, push more to the whacky right if that's where the money is.

Look at the US now. It's scarily dysfunctional and in the midst of a massive civil culture war that's tearing the country apart. We need to do whatever we can to avoid going down that path. The seeds have been planted here and we've already got whackjobs believing and quoting Sky after Dark verbatim. Though the polls do suggest Australians haven't succumbed to culture wars yet, which is a good thing.
I don't think religion plays as big a part here as in the US and I think we are a little less nieve in general in Aust. Hopefully we avoid going down that path

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Thats it.

position vacant - Leader Liberal party

Seeking evangelical ideolog. disordered personality and empathy in the bottom percentile desirable. Demonstrated experience in strategically vilifying and marginalising minorities essential

Good men need not apply.

I hope they never change

On moira deeming - this is all a calculated job application for a job on Sky - she's smart enough to realise shes too dumb for politics
I also had a little bit to do with another state liberal leader who later became Premier, Ted Baillieu.
He of course was raised as a blue blood and is part of a very prominent family, but what I learned in dealing with him is that he was a fundamentally decent person.
They got rid of him as well and his seat was taken by Pesutto. The Libs are probably smart enough to know if they put in a RWNJ candidate in Hawthorn these days they will lose the seat. They already lost it once to Labor but the independents are the real threat.
That someone with the views of Moira Deeming thinks she has a place in the liberal party is incredibly damming on the Libs. Pesutto must be pulling his hair out, he will know that people like her are their ticket to oblivion.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I also had a little bit to do with another state liberal leader who later became Premier, Ted Baillieu.
He of course was raised as a blue blood and is part of a very prominent family, but what I learned in dealing with him is that he was a fundamentally decent person

Fundamentally decent person by a certain framework.

But to join the Liberal Party,

You need to have been indoctrinated in a nasty ideology thats very, very, thin in humanity

bengal tigers

Tiger Superstar
Apr 29, 2015
No, I'm not that naive brah. Refugees make up a small component of our immigrant intake - skilled migrants, 457 visa holders, family reunions all get no special favours. I'd ask you to provide evidence - how many immigrants are in social housing and thus deprive the white Australians you are so concerned about, but you've have been able to provide any evidence of anything so far.

Albo didn't announce the subs, your mate Scummo did. On this matter though Paul Keating is right, and Labor shouldn't continue Scummo's policy.

One more time though - what did the LNP do about social housing in their time in government? Cmon brah - you are not naive apparently so where's the evidence?
You go on about culture wars and white Australians,as you know not all Australian born are white ,but go on with your FAR LEFT WING BANSHEE BULL *smile*.
I have nothing against the subs ,in fact it's about time we started spending extra on defense .

Yeah Albo wouldn't do a pact with a democratic country(which Australia is )him and comrade Andrews would prefer to work with China,*smile* hypocrites.

bengal tigers

Tiger Superstar
Apr 29, 2015
What constitutes “a long time” to you?

A third of our electricity grid are renewables and Victoria is targeting 95% by 2035. I admit I don’t know how realistic it is… it’ll probably depend on getting the SEC up and running ASAP. But it feels like we are moving at a decent pace atm.

I don’t like this policy at all, but I’m not sure what he could have done? Morrison had already committed us to it and Albo would never do to the USA and UK what Morrison did to France. No win situation.
Until we get a full proof constant power source

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne

You need to have been indoctrinated in a nasty ideology thats very, very, thin in humanity

Its still the party for conservatives. People with conservative views can be fundamentally decent people and probably join the party with aims to help ensure it doesn't become the RWNJ party.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell

There is truth in that if you look at where they are now but when Ted Baillieu and others of his generation joined it wasn’t the liberal party of today.
The Libs have never been my choice but they didn’t have the nasty streak they now have years ago, that started with Howard imo.

Reactions: 5 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Its still the party for conservatives. People with conservative views can be fundamentally decent people and probably join the party with aims to help ensure it doesn't become the RWNJ party.

if you join post Howard Liberals,

From my POV Your a dark-hearted *smile*.

And the only diffentiation,

Is whether or not

Youre out of the closet.

Lets follow up the vic Libs handling Moira Deeming.

She told the party room, by way of mitigation for attending a transphobic hate rally admired by nazis,

That she was raped as a child.

Now thats unequivocally dreadful.

But it mitigates her behaviour 0%, whichever way you look at it.

But the power brokers of Liberals essentially endorse her POV, even offering up the entirely illogical excuse.

Why? Because the power brokers are transphobic nazis,

Who think free speech

Means a license to incite hate against minorities

How come they never defend the right

To say something nice?

shad

Tiger Champion
Apr 6, 2010
Castlemaine

Those fault lines in the US go back to the civil war and beyond. They have become more manifest at certain times since then. I watch a lot of Ken Burns' docos and it has been really intersesting to see similar divisions during the prohibition era and during the anti-Vietnam war period. He quoted a survey done in the months after the students were shot in Ohio and more than 50% of Americans agreed with the actions taken on that day. That really shocked me-but I'm not sure it would be much different today.

These days we are experiencing the same divisions but they are being magnified by the media/social media. I'm not sure much has changed fundermentally though.

Reactions: 2 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Those fault lines in the US go back to the civil war and beyond. They have become more manifest at certain times since then. I watch a lot of Ken Burns' docos and it has been really intersesting to see similar divisions during the prohibition era and during the anti-Vietnam war period. He quoted a survey done in the months after the students were shot in Ohio and more than 50% of Americans agreed with the actions taken on that day. That really shocked me-but I'm not sure it would be much different today.

These days we are experiencing the same divisions but they are being magnified by the media/social media. I'm not sure much has changed fundermentally though.
I had a look at some of the social media coming out on the Nashville shootings.
It is actually scary
The commentary is far more about whether this person was male or female. That he identified as male but was born female.
This has become about gender politics instead of the undeniable truth …

it’s about the guns !!!

It appears that the fact that the shooter had gender identity issues and had attended this school may be linked to the motivation for the shootings. However young people struggling with such issues are not unique to the USA but school shootings basically are.

Firearms are now the biggest killers of children in the US. More than cancer, more than accidents.

• Sad
Reactions: 6 users

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
It is actually scary
The commentary is far more about whether this person was male or female. That he identified as male but was born female.

it’s about the guns !!!

It appears that the fact that the shooter had gender identity issues and had attended this school may be linked to the motivation for the shootings. However young people struggling with such issues are not unique to the USA but school shootings basically are.

Firearms are now the biggest killers of children in the US. More than cancer, more than accidents.
Thoughts and prayers. Thoughts and prayers.

Always seems to solve the problem there doesn’t it?

Reactions: 1 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
You go on about culture wars and white Australians,as you know not all Australian born are white ,but go on with your FAR LEFT WING BANSHEE BULL *smile*.
I have nothing against the subs ,in fact it's about time we started spending extra on defense .

Yeah Albo wouldn't do a pact with a democratic country(which Australia is )him and comrade Andrews would prefer to work with China,*smile* hypocrites.

What? The sub deal is with the US and the UK you muppet.

bengal tigers

Tiger Superstar
Apr 29, 2015
What? The sub deal is with the US and the UK you muppet.
The Commo Banshee is at it again

Albo didn't announce the subs, your mate Scummo did. On this matter though Paul Keating is right, and Labor shouldn't continue Scummo's policy.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
It is actually scary

it’s about the guns !!!

1680145359077.png

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

The biggest response you get back on this one from Americans, is that "yeah but how many of them are suicides". As if that makes it better!!

1680146300001.png

1680146334347.png

So their suicide rate by firearm (take murders out of this for a 2nd), is 1.7 per 100,000, whereas our TOTAL deaths by fiream (of which I'd think most would be suicide) is 0.3 per 100,000, so there suicide rate is nearly 6 times worse than in Australia. Now US teens aren't the only ones that unfortunately have to manage mental illness, just the US are giving them the tools to end their lives, which we don't in Australia. Its much much harder to kill yourself, by throwing yourself off a building, or in front of a train or by slitting your wrists etc, even via drug overdose, than it is to sit in your room / car, and put a gun in your mouth and pull a trigger.

Many teens that attempt suicide is not necessarily to go through with it, but its that massive cry for help that they need. Much harder to come back from if there is a bullet in your brain. I'd love to know whether the US have increased their funding around mental health like we have here in Australia. I look at my kids, and the tools available to them now are far in excess of what we had when we were young and the stigma around it has changed a lot. If you went to see a psycholgist when most of us were kids, you'd be labelled as the nutjob crazy child and probably be bullied more over it. I heard a stat that something like 40% of kids in Australia now see Counsellers. Whilst thats a big number, I'd much rather they have the tools to talk through their problems with someone than ignore it and potentially come to the conclusion that suicide is the only way out.

Reactions: 3 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
The biggest response you get back on this one from Americans, is that "yeah but how many of them are suicides". As if that makes it better!!

View attachment 18658

View attachment 18659

So their suicide rate by firearm (take murders out of this for a 2nd), is 1.7 per 100,000, whereas our TOTAL deaths by fiream (of which I'd think most would be suicide) is 0.3 per 100,000, so there suicide rate is nearly 6 times worse than in Australia. Now US teens aren't the only ones that unfortunately have to manage mental illness, just the US are giving them the tools to end their lives, which we don't in Australia. Its much much harder to kill yourself, by throwing yourself off a building, or in front of a train or by slitting your wrists etc, even via drug overdose, than it is to sit in your room / car, and put a gun in your mouth and pull a trigger.

Many teens that attempt suicide is not necessarily to go through with it, but its that massive cry for help that they need. Much harder to come back from if there is a bullet in your brain. I'd love to know whether the US have increased their funding around mental health like we have here in Australia. I look at my kids, and the tools available to them now are far in excess of what we had when we were young and the stigma around it has changed a lot. If you went to see a psycholgist when most of us were kids, you'd be labelled as the nutjob crazy child and probably be bullied more over it. I heard a stat that something like 40% of kids in Australia now see Counsellers. Whilst thats a big number, I'd much rather they have the tools to talk through their problems with someone than ignore it and potentially come to the conclusion that suicide is the only way out.
It doesn't matter how they spin it the US society is seriously sick

Even if you accept their comeback of " guns don't shoot people, other people do", then they have a much higher proportion wanting to kill each other, or themselves.

The question is why? This is the question so many Americans don't seem to want to answer.

" At least they have their freedom", as if nowhere else does

Reactions: 2 users