Talking Politics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Talking Politics

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
And just when you thought the Victorian Liberal Party couldn’t get any worse…..

Not sure it serves any purpose now. Totally lost, defective, weak, out of touch. Pesutto in trouble ALREADY.

Rabble would be a kind description.
It’s a pity, John Pesutto is a good man. I have spoken to him on a few occasions and was pleased when he became liberal leader.
The problem is that there is no place for good men (or women) in the leadership of todays Liberal Party

Reactions: 6 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
We will see who gets it when you have power cuts ,or no gas for your heating or cooking .
After 10(?) years of rotating failed Liberal PMs experts are predicting we dont have enough gas to cope with peak usage this winter. But of course that will be Labor's fault.

But everyone should be transitioning away from gas so that is not a bad thing.

Reactions: 1 user

bengal tigers

Tiger Superstar
Apr 29, 2015
After 10(?) years of rotating failed Liberal PMs experts are predicting we dont have enough gas to cope with peak usage this winter. But of course that will be Labor's fault.

But everyone should be transitioning away from gas so that is not a bad thing.
So millions of people should get rid of their gas heating,cooking ,and hot water systems because the government says so.
Who's paying for all this,Andrews can't even get investment in his current projects,and were are they going to find the extra power to run all the millions of new Electric heaters,Stoves,hot water systems,and not to mention all the businesses it effects .

Please don't tell me renewables,because thats not happening for a long time .
So, Bengal Tiger, I presume that you would be fine if we dump some plutonium in your living room?

You do realise that not 1 country has worked out a solution to store nuclear waste for as long as it needs to be stored for. As for all these promises of using nuclear waste in reactors, yeah, that's been promised and not delivered for decades.

All this for 50 years of energy, and that assumes no increase in consumption of uranium, which if we expand nuclear reactors will clearly not be the case. Silly.

Too expensive, no long term solution for the waste, a temporary source of power at best, decades before we would see a power station, yeah, really silly.

DS
I expected outrage when Albo announced NUCLEAR subs,but the main outrage was only about the cost,people will except NUCLEAR power whether you like it or not.
Micro plants are coming ,and they can use the current infrastructure .

bahahahahahahahahahahahahahabahahahahahahahahahahahahahabahahahahahahahahahahahahahabahahahahahahahahahahahahahabahahahahahahahahahahahahahabahahahahahahahahahahahahahabahahahahahahahahahahahahahabahahahahahahahahahahahahahabahahahahahahahahahahahahahabahahahahahahahahahahahahahabahahahahahahahahahahahahahabahahahahahahahahahahahahahabahahahahahahahahahahahahahabahahahahahahahahahahahahahabahahahahahahahahahahahahahabahahahahahahahahahahahahahabahahahahahahahahahahahahahabahahahahahahahahahahahahahabahahahahahahahahahahahahahabahahahahahahahahahahahahahabahahahahahahahahahahahahahabahahahahahahahahahahahahahabahahahahahahahahahahahahahabahahahahahahahahahahahahahabahahahahahahahahahahahahahabahahahahahahahahahahahahahabahahahahahahahahahahahahahabahahahahahahahahahahahahahabahahahahahahahahahahahahahabahahahahahahahahahahahahahabahahahahahahahahahahahahahabahahahahahahahahahahahahahabahahahahahahahahahahahahahabahahahahahahahahahahahahahabahahahahahahahahahahahahahabahahahahahahahahahahahahahabahahahahahahahahahahahahahabahahahahahahahahahahahahahabahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Have you been sniffing all the bs coming out of Andrews mouth again.

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
So millions of people should get rid of their gas heating,cooking ,and hot water systems because the government says so.
Who's paying for all this,Andrews can't even get investment in his current projects,and were are they going to find the extra power to run all the millions of new Electric heaters,Stoves,hot water systems,and not to mention all the businesses it effects .

I expected outrage when Albo announced NUCLEAR subs,but the main outrage was only about the cost,people will except NUCLEAR power whether you like it or not.

Have you been sniffing all the bs coming out of Andrews mouth again.
You make some interesting points.

It needs to be an energy transition and not an energy cliff to avoid massive impacts to quality of life. I’ve been to conferences and know some people involved - the focus on electrification isn’t a mass replacement but more a transition as things reach end of life. Eg when your hot water service fails (10-15 years) is your handyman trained to install an electric water heater / is one available etc etc.

On the other hand if you see temperature rise as an existential threat to all humanity then some people getting cold or not able to heat their food is not really relevant. This would be more a green position. All arguments assuming we shouldn’t suffer any QOL reduction in transitioning to renewables I personally think ignore reality - but it’s a political no go zone.

I have listened to a couple of podcasts on nuclear. One explaining why the current technology is terrible and won’t work.

Another explaining why lower pressure nuclear reactors have the highest energy return on energy and renewables have some of the lowest. It’s an interesting contrarian argument that is worth understanding. The guy is a contrarian investor so that is their business. It’s point is if you spend all your energy making energy then quality of life goes down a lot. Eg when we used to have to transport water manually and wash clothes manually and grow food manually we had no energy left for anything else.

Encourage folks to listen to both of these.

Anti current nuclear technology
https://podcasts.hcinsider.global/e...e-energy-crisis-with-mycle-schneider-IXW4f1yb
(independent nuclear consultant / expert essentially arguing against the industry he works in)

Pro new nuclear technology
https://podcasts.hcinsider.global/e...ergy-transition-with-adam-rozencwajg-Ux9e__3u
I like the engineering perspective of considering how much energy in total it takes to make energy. As this number drops that will eventually play through to price IMO so it’s a good one to think about.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008

As Roar mentions people shouldnt be getting rid of functioning appliances, but as they age and falter they should replace them with more efficient electrical appliances. This will save people money- so even if people dont care about the environment they should be happy to save $$$$.

bengal tigers

Tiger Superstar
Apr 29, 2015
As Roar mentions people shouldnt be getting rid of functioning appliances, but as they age and falter they should replace them with more efficient electrical appliances. This will save people money- so even if people dont care about the environment they should be happy to save $$$$.
The problem is ,let's say your Gas products have a life span of 5-10 yea's still,the way Victoria is going you might be lucky to have enough gas to run your products .
Then you need the extra electricity for all the new replacements ,we don't have extra electricity because some dumb Leader is closing a power station before we have a alternative .
Renewables as they are at the moment will not cut it .

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
The problem is ,let's say your Gas products have a life span of 5-10 yea's still,the way Victoria is going you might be lucky to have enough gas to run your products .
Then you need the extra electricity for all the new replacements ,we don't have extra electricity because some dumb Leader is closing a power station before we have a alternative .
Renewables as they are at the moment will not cut it .
I really feel like you are philosophically opposed to getting rid of gas just because that is want "greenies" want you to do.

bengal tigers

Tiger Superstar
Apr 29, 2015
I really feel like you are philosophically opposed to getting rid of gas just because that is want "greenies" want you to do.
I don't have gas,lm nearly all electric except for 2 wood heaters,but l can have electric heating ,l have 12 solar panels on my shed roof ,l have recently got a tesla power wall installed ,just for back up power .
I have nothing against renewables ,and eventually the removal of gas ,but it has to be done gradually ,and not cutting power supplies when their is no proper alternative to constant power.
What *smile* me ,is people think Australia is another planet ,and the amount of emissions we reduce here will make such a big difference on a grand scale.
We have Comrade Andrews and Mardi gras king Albo going to China to do more business with the biggest polluter ,what a bunch of hypocrites in more ways than one .

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Lolol They had it all back in 2007,,IT DIDN'T LAST LONG .and it won't last long with all the arse kissing to CHINA.

and you'll keep wondering why your mob keeps losing elections and digging a bigger and bigger hole for themselves. The culture war approach has failed for the Libs. People just want good government and problem solving.

bengal tigers

Tiger Superstar
Apr 29, 2015
and you'll keep wondering why your mob keeps losing elections and digging a bigger and bigger hole for themselves. The culture war approach has failed for the Libs. People just want good government and problem solving.
Lolololol are you serious ,Mardi Gras King Albo has he got any of his promises up yet ,l see another one might be biting the dust ,The Coalition just has to sit back and watch Labor self destruct .
If the coalition had stronger Leadership in Victoria ,Comrade Andrews would be gone too.
I wonder how many of those immigrants King Albo let in have houses ?.While homeless Australia''s must be thinking it might be better to be a immigrant in your own country.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I don't have gas,lm nearly all electric except for 2 wood heaters,but l can have electric heating ,l have 12 solar panels on my shed roof ,l have recently got a tesla power wall installed ,just for back up power .
I have nothing against renewables ,and eventually the removal of gas ,but it has to be done gradually ,and not cutting power supplies when their is no proper alternative to constant power.
What *smile* me ,is people think Australia is another planet ,and the amount of emissions we reduce here will make such a big difference on a grand scale.
We have Comrade Andrews and Mardi gras king Albo going to China to do more business with the biggest polluter ,what a bunch of hypocrites in more ways than one .

I've given this scenario in the Global Warming thread but for me community batteries is the way forward. Australia has the highest level of rooftop solar power generation in the world, and if you look at how much is generated, you don't need total coverage to provide power to all homes. For example, I have a relatively small system (5.5kw) but I produce more energy than my home requires (particularly through summer). In my street, around half the homes have solar panels on the roof.

There needs to be a fundamental discussion around the "energy grid" with a move towards a sort of microgrid scenario but on a slightly larger scale. If a suburb can feed their unused solar produced energy into a substation where the energy could be stored in a battery (and not fed back to the overall grid) with that power than drawn back into the same suburb through the night time periods then you create a circular loop around that power drain from the grid.

I hear there are possible changes to solar feed in to the grid whereby solar will be turned off from feeding back because of energy surges etc as it is fed back to the grid and the network wasn't setup to deal with that, so the simple answer is, don't have it feedback into it like that. Keep the grid focusing on smaller feedback loops surrounding community batteries.

Unfortunately big power doesn't want this to happen and IMO are "advising" the government on this. The ALP I believe know this to be the solution, they have proposed $200m of spending on community batteries, but countering this they have "rewiring the nation" which is a $20bn fund (yes 100 times greater than community battery investment), which sounds great, its designed to sound like it is replacing old wiring with new wiring to cope with the changes that renewables have presented, but its not what the program is about. The program is about connecting wholescale renewables up to the grid, so in essence just replacing power plants with wholescale renewables, but IMO I don't like this, as it doesn;t necessarily benefit the environment. Replacing forests etc with large scale solar farms is not the best use of space, it also isn't representative of cooling the planet. There was a study done a few years ago to build a giant solar farm in the Sahara desert connecting it to Europe to provide significant power for Europe, but this was ditched because an environmental study found that it would create a massive heat island, which would instead draw more heat into the earth (ie.. replace the reflective heat ability of sand, with black heat absorbant solar panels), which is why I believe rooftop solar is still the most affordable and most environmentally friendly method of creating power, and community batteries provide the option of storing that power and allowing a community to draw back on the surplus of power. I would think a suburb having around 50-60% solar power coverage would provide enough power for residential properties fairly easily, with batteries being used to affect the drawdown relating to time of use. Its why Australia is in a great position to deal with power generation but the powers that be are not following along the script that needs to be written, neither major party is pushing for this. Winter provides a slightly different impact and backup power sources would be required, whether that be wind generation (again with community batter storage) or even smaller scale gas plants (I know the hardcore greenies won't like this) but it provides a significant benefit.

If you could get to a scenario where we could generate 90% of our power from renewables, but still needed 10% for winter cycles, we would be in an excellent position from a power generation perspective.

Reactions: 5 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Lolololol are you serious ,Mardi Gras King Albo has he got any of his promises up yet ,l see another one might be biting the dust ,The Coalition just has to sit back and watch Labor self destruct .
Yep, so far we've had the Climate Change bill, Workplace Reform bill and Housing Assistance bill pass through both houses of parliament since the Fed Election mid last year.

Now name one significant piece of legislation Scummo ever got through parliament.

If the coalition had stronger Leadership in Victoria ,Comrade Andrews would be gone too
If if if if if you weren't an alt-right culture warrior, you might start to think about how the relentless push towards culture warring is not working for the Coalition anywhere in mainland Australia.

I wonder how many of those immigrants King Albo let in have houses ?.While homeless Australia''s must be thinking it might be better to be a immigrant in your own country.
Probably depends on what you mean by "have houses". Skilled, education and spousal visa arrivals get no special help despite what Rita Panahi tells ya mate.

Refugees - in 2020-21 Australia granted only 5000 refugee visas. Last year an additional 16,000 places for refugees from the Taliban in Afghanistan were allocated, it's unclear if all were even taken up given the difficulties of evacuation from that country.

So what has the Albanese government done to address homelessness so far? Here you go champ.

Now tell me what Scummo's government ever did about the homelessness crisis. I'll tell ya - nothing. But the truth is, you don't care. For you it's an opportunity to turn it into a race issue - immigrants get, white people don't - even though you know that's a lie.

Bengal, come back with facts mate,don't just spew Rita Panahi talking points - she's a Sky puppet who just says things for the outrage. I'm surprised you didn't know that.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

bengal tigers

Tiger Superstar
Apr 29, 2015
Yep, so far we've had the Climate Change bill, Workplace Reform bill and Housing Assistance bill pass through both houses of parliament since the Fed Election mid last year.

Now name one significant piece of legislation Scummo ever got through parliament.

If if if if if you weren't an alt-right culture warrior, you might start to think about how the relentless push towards culture warring is not working for the Coalition anywhere in mainland Australia.

Probably depends on what you mean by "have houses". Skilled, education and spousal visa arrivals get no special help despite what Rita Panahi tells ya mate.

Refugees - in 2020-21 Australia granted only 5000 refugee visas. Last year an additional 16,000 places for refugees from the Taliban in Afghanistan were allocated, it's unclear if all were even taken up given the difficulties of evacuation from that country.

So what has the Albanese government done to address homelessness so far? Here you go champ.

Now tell me what Scummo's government ever did about the homelessness crisis. I'll tell ya - nothing. But the truth is, you don't care. For you it's an opportunity to turn it into a race issue - immigrants get, white people don't - even though you know that's a lie.

Bengal, come back with facts mate,don't just spew Rita Panahi talking points - she's a Sky puppet who just says things for the outrage. I'm surprised you didn't know that.
Are you really that naive,do you think immigrants are allowed into this country so they can live on the streets .
You have comrade Dan who can spend Billions on a tunnel ,yet is wayyyyyyy behind in social housing among other things .
King Albo spends 67 million AUSTRALIA WIDE ,and you think that's great ,while they prepare to spend 300 billion on subs ,l could go on and on ,but lm going to have dinner.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne

Micro nuclear plants, yeah right, more promises from the nuclear industry, bit like power too cheap to meter. So, Bengal, enlighten us on the many micro-nuclear power stations which are currently connected to electricity grids and, while you're at it, where are the planning apps for micro-nuclear in Australia? Yeah, thought so, they are figments of the imagination. Pie in the sky crap as usual from the nuclear cheer squad.

Do I agree with nuclear subs? No way, yet more toxic waste for a couple of hundred thousand years. Nuclear energy promised so much but delivered a lot of toxic sludge, has never been the solution and never will be.

DS

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Couldn't disagree more and I thought Gill McLachlan spoke brilliantly on this today.

Basically said the AFL doesn't apologise for taking these stances and anyone who feels differently about these issues isn't that welcome at the footy.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/lifest...s/news-story/ada6428d6a646641a63712af89ec34b1

Well that just goes further to establish how out of touch he is. It is the same argument heard back in the day about Church and State.

Have never wished to be told by the church who or what to vote for and I certainly don’t believe we need to hear from the AFL on that matter either.

Too late now to try and make amends for his failure to act in regard to the abject racism suffered by Adam Goodes. His remarks now are out of place, if not hypocrisy.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Are you really that naive,do you think immigrants are allowed into this country so they can live on the streets .
You have comrade Dan who can spend Billions on a tunnel ,yet is wayyyyyyy behind in social housing among other things .
King Albo spends 67 million AUSTRALIA WIDE ,and you think that's great ,while they prepare to spend 300 billion on subs ,l could go on and on ,but lm going to have dinner.

No, I'm not that naive brah. Refugees make up a small component of our immigrant intake - skilled migrants, 457 visa holders, family reunions all get no special favours. I'd ask you to provide evidence - how many immigrants are in social housing and thus deprive the white Australians you are so concerned about, but you've have been able to provide any evidence of anything so far.

Albo didn't announce the subs, your mate Scummo did. On this matter though Paul Keating is right, and Labor shouldn't continue Scummo's policy.

One more time though - what did the LNP do about social housing in their time in government? Cmon brah - you are not naive apparently so where's the evidence?

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne

What constitutes “a long time” to you?

A third of our electricity grid are renewables and Victoria is targeting 95% by 2035. I admit I don’t know how realistic it is… it’ll probably depend on getting the SEC up and running ASAP. But it feels like we are moving at a decent pace atm.

Albo didn't announce the subs, your mate Scummo did. On this matter though Paul Keating is right, and Labor shouldn't continue Scummo's policy.

I don’t like this policy at all, but I’m not sure what he could have done? Morrison had already committed us to it and Albo would never do to the USA and UK what Morrison did to France. No win situation.