Talking Politics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Talking Politics

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Many people start left but shift right as they age

No doubt, but I can’t see this happening with millennials. They are living with different issues compared to previous generations. Housing affordability and climate change for example. These issues aren’t going away, and they will not vote for political parties that ignore them. I read an article the other day that claimed 1 in 5 millennials identify as LGBTQ+. That’s a bloody big number. And they vote.

Reactions: 1 users

bengal tigers

Tiger Superstar
Apr 29, 2015
No doubt, but I can’t see this happening with millennials. They are living with different issues compared to previous generations. Housing affordability and climate change for example. These issues aren’t going away, and they will not vote for political parties that ignore them. I read an article the other day that claimed 1 in 5 millennials identify as LGBTQ+. That’s a bloody big number. And they vote.
Well if there's 1 in 5 millennials that identify as LGBTQ (which l doub't) they won't be voting for Labor then ,doing more and more deals with china ,who have a terrible record towards homosexuals

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Where the *smile* was that article? 1 in 5? And you believe that? Hilarious.

You must mean "with" not "as"

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
No, it's a piece by Gallop stating that while general consensus seems to be ~25%, in reality it's a lot lower. So it's both confirming BinMan's thinking but backs your counter that it's not that high.

Did you read it?

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
No, it's a piece by Gallop stating that while general consensus seems to be ~25%, in reality it's a lot lower. So it's both confirming BinMan's thinking but backs your counter that it's not that high.

Did you read it?
Yeh, but Ian said he read an article claiminbg 1 in 5, not that he thinks it is 1 in 5 which is what the gallup poll is showing

I imagine the numbers of people who identify AS LGBTQ is increasing with each generation as acceptance grows. But i know from my high school aged kids that it is nowhere near 1 in 5. Not even 1 in 10.

Ian's been reading too many TBR posts

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
The state of our media it's very believable that a "journo" read the first part of that article (Yanks believe 23%) and turned it into a local article without much thought

Reactions: 1 user

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
The state of our media it's very believable that a "journo" read the first part of that article (Yanks believe 23%) and turned it into a local article without much thought
Media watch shows stuff like this from time to time. Perth Now has been showing items taken directly from Reddit as news

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
Allegations Albo got a Uber (RAAF jet) Canberra to Qld to attend a Billy Bragg concert in Brisbane. If so treating struggling Australians with utter contempt.

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
Tony Abbott making a comeback standing against Teal Zali Steggall in Warringah

• Haha

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Another victory for the Banshees in Aston today.

Meanwhile Bengals still reckons Dan and Albo are "crashing". Any more crashing and the LNP will have no seats left at all, but hey, sucks to be a sad old boomer eh Benghazi...

The only downside is that Dutton is probably done... Mr Potato Head, we hardly knew you

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Aston says it all really. Libs represent a fringe view now. Fringe views don't win you elections.

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
Another victory for the Banshees in Aston today.

Meanwhile Bengals still reckons Dan and Albo are "crashing". Any more crashing and the LNP will have no seats left at all, but hey, sucks to be a sad old boomer eh Benghazi...

The only downside is that Dutton is probably done... Mr Potato Head, we hardly knew you
Devastating for the Libs.
Surely the message from the Australian public is that they want them to move further to the right. Right?

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Turned on sky news to hear what spin they could put on it. Evidently it was a dirty campaign run by Labor.
No mention that maybe the electorate is rejecting the Liberal Party.
They continue to be in denial

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Tony Abbott making a comeback standing against Teal Zali Steggall in Warringah
Abbott is stupid enough to think that he can become Prime Minister again.......actually he's probably a better chance than Dutton. I wonder whether he would give Dutton a Knighthood.

Bravo Dutton bravo.............your strategy is going gang busters, your outdated policies are appealing to less and less voters.

"Labor is likely to win seat of Aston as counting counting in the by-election.
It’s the first time in 100 years the sitting government has won a seat from the opposition during by-election
."

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
Read that Aston has a higher proportion of families with children, and higher percentage of mortgages than surrounding seats.
Seems that the Libs attacks on Labor regarding cost of living and their constant “why do Australians always pay more under Labor” rhetoric is not cutting through.
*smile* off potato head

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Unbelievable.

I thought Labor were no chance. At the Federal election Labor got a 7.6% swing to them at a time when the Libs leader was incredibly unpopular and the local member was a complete liability. The Libs seemed to nominate a decent enough candidate and it is a by-election.

The Libs are in deep sh!t.

If Labor can make headway in Queensland the Libs will be completely uncompetitive.

DS