Talking Politics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Talking Politics

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Dan doing to the state party what Albanese should have done to the feds 12 months ago.
The party machine is the ALP’s biggest problem. They have parties within the Party and there is no way a person can lead the ALP without owing something to some person or group of people. Dan Andrews is no different.
However if we think the LP and the NP are fundamentally different we would be wrong in my view.
We have no true social Democratic Party in this country and to me it is a gaping hole in our political landscape, but nor is the Liberal Party the Party of the principles it was founded on. They are morphing into Tories.
If anyone is a Labor supporter IMO supporting true reform in that party is the only forward. In its current form it can only ever become the federal government as the best of a bad lot.

Reactions: 3 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003

Another example that pork barrelling is not restricted to any one party.

No wonder we have no faith in our politicians.
Can anyone explain to me why Pork Barrelling, and Branch Stacking is not illegal?
Like you say, it's no wonder we have no faith in our politicians.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Hey Dan look over there!

”I don't want to be offensive to South Australians but why would you want to go there?" he said.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
All the responses focus on the Farmers Union Iced Coffee...

Never got quite why they are so obsessed with flavoured milk

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Can anyone explain to me why Pork Barrelling, and Branch Stacking is not illegal?
Like you say, it's no wonder we have no faith in our politicians.

Branch stacking is an interesting one since it is essentially manipulating an organisation which consists of it's members. Wrong? certainly. Illegal? debateable. Common? name me a party where it isn't a problem and I'll find a telephone box they can meet in.

Pork barreling is a different situation. Should it be illegal? Well, the problem is going to be defining pork barreling. This is why we need independent anti-corruption bodies with serious investigative powers and powers to penalise perpetrators. Add to this a hell of a lot more transparency so that we can all see what is being done with our money and in our names and we might get somewhere. For example, every document relating to every government grant scheme, including emails, texts etc should be logged in real time and published immediately.

DS

Reactions: 4 users

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
The party machine is the ALP’s biggest problem. They have parties within the Party and there is no way a person can lead the ALP without owing something to some person or group of people. Dan Andrews is no different.
I dont disagree with all you write here Sinner, i actually think the biggest issue with the ALP was and still is is their personnel. They needed to change big time after the last Federal election. They didnt.

A new head on the chopping board but more of the same, probably worse because he only got there through attrition. Albo is on a hiding to nothing.

Again democracy is just that, you get what you vote for. Dan has been in for how many years?

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
The problem with both of the major political parties is personnel.

They are both full of career politicians who have never wanted to do anything else in their lives.

Wasn't Ben Chifley a railway worker? No railway worker would get a look in as a politician these days. Too many lawyers and party hacks.

DS

Reactions: 2 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
The problem with both of the major political parties is personnel.

They are both full of career politicians who have never wanted to do anything else in their lives.

Wasn't Ben Chifley a railway worker? No railway worker would get a look in as a politician these days. Too many lawyers and party hacks.

DS
Amen. And IPA retards.

scottyturnerscurse

Tiger Legend
Apr 29, 2006
Troops from two nuclear powers having hand-to-hand combat (with a few wielding sticks with nails in them) was not on my 2020 bingo card. What a year and it’s only half done.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I dont disagree with all you write here Sinner, i actually think the biggest issue with the ALP was and still is is their personnel. They needed to change big time after the last Federal election. They didnt.

A new head on the chopping board but more of the same, probably worse because he only got there through attrition. Albo is on a hiding to nothing.
I don’t disagree HR but there is one thing in this space that you may not agree with my view on. I look at the LNP and don’t see any better quality there either.
The quality has dropped over the years across the board

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
That nine-year-old article feels like it's deliberately misrepresenting what proponents of MMT say it should do. The practice (it's not a theory, it is used all the time) is not new and is in use already. What do you think quantitative easing is? Where do you think the USA gets its military budget from - not from taxes, they just create the money. Likewise with the 200 billion covid package our government brought in. Where did that money come from? Thin air.

No one is saying governments should flood the system with so much money that money becomes worthless. They are saying that when required, when it will help, they can and do create money to stimulate the economy, stave off recession and keep confidence in the system. There is already not enough cash for all the money there is - i.e. if everyone wanted to turn all their wealth to cash, they couldn't - that's why a run on the banks is a disaster. Austerity in a recession turns the porch light on, warms the hearth and invites that disaster in the front door.

The point of the article I posted is that the idea that we are burdening our grandkids with some unpayable debt is wrong. As long as the economy grows faster than the debt, the relative size of the debt decreases over time. Debt used to facilitate growth is good. We could have full employment and build all the infrastructure this country needs for the next 50-100 years (i.e. take advantage of historically cheap debt to invest in our future, for massive dividends down the track), but this government, which has more than doubled the national debt in seven years and was taking the economy into its first recession in 29 years even before covid, is going to make things worse purely for ideological reasons.

A couple of good vids to watch:

Reactions: 1 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
. .... Debt used to facilitate growth is good. We could have full employment and build all the infrastructure this country needs for the next 50-100 years
(i.e. take advantage of historically cheap debt to invest in our future, for massive dividends down the track),

Totally agree, the stimulus must be used for nation building not kitchen renovations

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Im actually astonished that this old dirty old high court judge Howard appointed,

who could seemingly play himself in eyes wide shut

wasn't knighted by Abbott.

as in

'thats please dont put your *smile* there, SIR, to you young lady'

edit: surprised that the name that healthy Harold the Giraffe uses when teaching grade 5 kids about the male genitals triggers the swear filter. Starts with P, rhymes with Venus. swear word really? that's weirder than that dutch wild pig GWS tagger getting filtered.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users