Talking Politics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Talking Politics

Interesting review on a Scomo book The Game: A Portrait of Scott Morrison written by Sean Kelly. The below resonates with your thoughts. The last paragraph is pretty sobering.

My early feeling was that Kelly’s talents for analysis – to say nothing of his style – were wasted on a figure as cold and anonymous as Morrison. It’s something Kelly himself wondered. But consider: who is Kelly presenting to us? If there is only emptiness behind the mask – an emptiness Morrison has spent so long cultivating he cannot afford, now, to give it up – what does this say about us?

Recalling that great Liberal pastime, working-class cosplay, there is a sense of politics having become, finally, nothing but performance – images and empty languages invoking battlers and “heartlands”. We have grown increasingly affluent but continue to pursue a cartoonish parody of Ockerdom, even when so much of it rings false. The distinction between Morrison and a figure such as, say, Hawke, is that Hawke was both genuine larrikin and genuine Rhodes Scholar. It’s the combination many would want in a leader: approachability plus actual ability. The only thing Morrison has a talent for is stalling and deflection. But this is a style that suits our social-media age: all tease, image and fan service.

“A reminder that politics is not a game,” Kelly writes, “is not only discomfiting but condemning, pointing out that we have been acting trivially – living trivial lives, as trivial people – all this time.” Morrison has a frightening aptitude to channel these energies into insincere populism, or what Kelly calls “extreme contrivance”: “an odd combination of humour, football and refugee policy”. Yet unlike his hero, Howard, Morrison is not so much “for all of us” as for the chosen few, happy to lead the country like a game show in which only some can win.
Sean Kelly's one of the good ones.

What would Wa's Mark McGowan's agenda be?

Wa's iron ore exports provided $150 BILLION to the coffers during the 2020/2021 Covid stricken financial year..........................yes $150 BILLION.
The Morrison Government and the States should be bowing at the feet of McGowan for keeping Covid out of Wa.

its a total hillbilly fallacy WA funds the country - the working men and women of Australia foot the bill for Half of all Fed Govt expenditure in PAYG tax.

Gina Rhinehart and Twiggy Forest dont pay any tax.

Royalties from non-renewables is like the queen selling off diamond tiaras, pocketing 90% and crowing about how much she contributes.,

I suppose that why they call them royalties?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
its a total hillbilly fallacy WA funds the country - the working men and women of Australia foot the bill for Half of all Fed Govt expenditure in PAYG tax.

Gina Rhinehart and Twiggy Forest dont pay any tax.

Royalties from non-renewables is like the queen selling off diamond tiaras, pocketing 90% and crowing about how much she contributes.,

I suppose that why they call them royalties?
I would've thought that federal taxes and royalties allowed Morrison to double job seeker payments when there were no jobs to look for:unsure::unsure:
I still haven't been able to work that out, but I do say good luck to the recipients.

"WA’s booming iron ore industry contributed nearly one-fifth of total company tax paid across the whole of Australia last year — about $15 billion — keeping the nation on its feet in the face of a devastating pandemic.

And that does not include the $7.6b in royalties that flowed into State Government coffers in 2019-20, contributing to a record $3.1b surplus and prompting ratings agency S&P to label the WA economy the strongest in the world.

Analysis of Australian company tax paid by BHP, Rio Tinto, FMG, Hancock Prospecting and Mineral Resources reveal the quintet shelled out a combined $15.4b last year."

Reactions: 1 user
Andrew Laming and Amanda Stoker have been caught out in similar circumstances. Laming was particularly bad with his various fake accounts and fake community groups.

But Amanda Stoker was caught out using a second account called "Mandy Jane" and regularly posted in defence of "Stoker" in FB comments. Yet she expects people to believe she's just a silly old boomer (despite still being in her 30s) who made a mistake by using a second account, while also referring to herself in third person lol.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Andrew Laming and Amanda Stoker have been caught out in similar circumstances. Laming was particularly bad with his various fake accounts and fake community groups.

But Amanda Stoker was caught out using a second account called "Mandy Jane" and regularly posted in defence of "Stoker" in FB comments. Yet she expects people to believe she's just a silly old boomer (despite still being in her 30s) who made a mistake by using a second account, while also referring to herself in third person lol.

A party led by a guy as genuine as Scott Morrison has members using fake accounts? unbelievable.

I would've thought that federal taxes and royalties allowed Morrison to double job seeker payments when there were no jobs to look for:unsure::unsure:
I still haven't been able to work that out, but I do say good luck to the recipients.

"WA’s booming iron ore industry contributed nearly one-fifth of total company tax paid across the whole of Australia last year — about $15 billion — keeping the nation on its feet in the face of a devastating pandemic.

And that does not include the $7.6b in royalties that flowed into State Government coffers in 2019-20, contributing to a record $3.1b surplus and prompting ratings agency S&P to label the WA economy the strongest in the world.

Analysis of Australian company tax paid by BHP, Rio Tinto, FMG, Hancock Prospecting and Mineral Resources reveal the quintet shelled out a combined $15.4b last year."

Hitching free movement between federated states to commodity prices is a pretty strange and volatile way to run a Nation?

If the iron ore price crashes, and the price of apples goes through the roof,

does Tassy slams the border shut to WA?

Hitching free movement between federated states to commodity prices is a pretty strange and volatile way to run a Nation?

If the iron ore price crashes, and the price of apples goes through the roof,

does Tassy slams the border shut to WA?
Tasmania has had similar travel restrictions to Wa haven't they.

Tasmania has had similar travel restrictions to Wa haven't they.

nuh. they've had closures, but not in the league of WA.

I'm guessing with the new Omnimoronic variant,

Far Eastern South Africa is diverting their citizens returning home to Sydney?

Can't help but think that will play for Albo. What did Keating say? The people want to see blood in the water?

Also reminded of Jed Bartlet's "22-calibre mind in a 357 Magnum world" diss of his opponent.

• Love
Good riddance to both of them, especially Porter that entitled prick with his born to rule attitude. Happy to see his Prime ministerial dreams have ended with a whimper. Katherine Thornton would be smiling today if she were alive.

Reactions: 6 users