Tasmania | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tasmania

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Good analysis. Basketball has way lower barriers to participation.
Correct. Not saying the Jackjumpers haven’t done a great job and Tasmanians getting behind them as well, but it’s a completely different kettle of fish compared to what’s involved in making an AFL footy team successful.

Reactions: 1 user

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Thought was some reasonable overview on FC that every $1G stadium ends up costing $2G.

So there is no way this stadium will be $750m. Wonder who will end up funding the other half or it will be a Porter Davis job.

It's the natural project way where people underquote / make the business case look better than it is and contingency gets beaten down and then you deal with reality later on once you are committed enough its hard to back out.

Perth stadium started out at $700m and went to $1.6 billion.

Yeah can bank on it costing $1.5b,

plus The AFL will somehow welch on their 2% (two percent) contribution too

Theylle probably make tasmanian welfare recipients labour-for-the-dole on the stadiums construction, lower tasmanians tax free threshold to $5, and sell an old growth forest and a pristine protected bay to an AFL commisioners wife for cheap

Reactions: 3 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Theylle probably make tasmanian welfare recipients labour-for-the-dole on the stadiums construction, lower tasmanians tax free threshold to $5, and sell an old growth forest and a pristine protected bay to an AFL commisioners wife for cheap
Sounds like a reasonable approach.

You beauty ! Let’s get this thing moving !!! (y)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
If they have benny and jack and richo and royce on the board,

Im gonna really struggle not to buy a green jumper and a seth campbell badge

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Very accurate overview. Was born in Tasmania and played junior footy until family left for Victoria when I was 15.

VFL was it back then in the 1970’s & local leagues were very strong. Junior competitions were massive & unlike in Vic, were school based. Hence you played footy on weekends with all your school mates - dominated our childhood lives during Winter. We then had regional rep teams that competed against the North & North-West.

Tasmania was a total football State. Sad to see the long, slow decline in football popularity over the ensuing decades. It can be rebuilt, but it’ll take time.
Indeed it was. One of the purist Australian Rules regions. Every bit as intertwined in the community psyche as anywhere in regional Victoria that traditionally live and breath the game.

As kids, in the quiet cul-de-sac I lived in the 80s to early 90s, we spent every free hour we could, in the winter months playing scratch match street footy. Every lunch and recess playing similarly in the playground. And we were no Robinson Crusoes. This was a way of life, which then translated into a self fulfilling grass roots and local footy scene. I was probably of the last generation with such a strong collective interest in the game.

Can't say the last time I've seen kids playing a spontaneous scratch game of footy in the street or local park. Hardly even any kick to kick. I actually found myself totally (but pleasantly) surprised in recent weeks when my 6YO said he's been playing footy with the "bigger boys" during lunch times at school. At my kid's school it seems hardly anyone kicks a footy. A bit of basketball and soccer plus random ball games. But footy has well and truly gone out of fashion (along with cricket). Like I say, it's just not part of the intertwined culture of the place as it once was.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 7 users

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
I don’t hold with the Jackjumpers comparisons. Basketball is an entirely different sport with entirely different financial and structural elements. Fewer players required, therefore easier to develop feeder or junior programs all over the state v football because of the lower development and support and infrastructure costs involved, easier to play at different locations because both North and South have equally adequate indoor facilities whereas in football they will not, and on and on and on. It’s like comparing the success or failure of Rex Regional Airlines v Qantas. There’s infinitely more involved and at stake. In many ways, basketball is absolutely perfect for Tasmania.

If the Jackjumpers have a value of $40m then that’s less than what the AFL is gonna have to pump in each and every year.

Definitely agree that getting a basketball team up from scratch on field isn't a decent comparison. Basketball 100% easier on that front.

But was more talking about the support it has generated all across the state. i.e. overcoming the population divide.

Some interesting Jackjumper numbers:

- All home games have sold out since inception
- Season memberships sold out in 26 minutes. Yes that's correct!
- A membership waitlist has had to be introduced
- 46% increase in participation in the North of the State since Jackjumpers started in 2021 (this is despite only one from 14 homes games played in the North in 22/23)
- The Launceston Basketball Assoctiation alone now had 300 senior and 200 junior teams. That is staggering for population that size.
- Because of the growth Basketball Tas say they are 26 indoor courts short of what's required
- Games aren't finishing until 11pm and they are forcing double byes in even numbered teams leagues to free up courts. One of Leysy's best mates son is in State under 14/16 team and trains on his own at 5.30am just to get court time.

Yes it is smaller scale, but this is all on the back of the JackJumpers.

What this shows is that if the Tasmanian football team can both 1) Promote itself statewide and 2) Have some degree of success (as you say the latter part will be hardest) the entire State will get behind it. Geographical boundaries just aren't what they were.

That is if in 5 years time basketball hasn't completely stolen the sporting hearts of the State by then. It's certainly been given a huge legup by the lethargy shown by the AFL.

Interestingly Jackjumpers founder and majority NBL owner Larry Kestelman has now them put up for sale. Interesting what he gets for it. Reckon he's going to make a pretty penny.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
Thought was some reasonable overview on FC that every $1G stadium ends up costing $2G.

So there is no way this stadium will be $750m. Wonder who will end up funding the other half or it will be a Porter Davis job.

It's the natural project way where people underquote / make the business case look better than it is and contingency gets beaten down and then you deal with reality later on once you are committed enough its hard to back out.

It's much cheaper when you follow the Qatari model.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com

Great post RE. Have a look at how much our PRO development has blown out in a short time..

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
Great post RE. Have a look at how much our PRO development has blown out in a short time..
The blow out in every construction job is down to costs of materials going through the roof. PRO development would be based on a 2020/21 costing which would now be at least 20% more expensive before anything else

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users