Tasmania | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tasmania

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Did I hear right that Darren Winter is the next ALP leader elect in Tasmania ? What ? You can’t be serious. That cheap shot, cowardly ahole of a footballer and all round bogan ? Far out.

I suppose with a football background he might be inclined to shift the TAS ALP’s stance on the stadium, I dunno. But regardless, geez what a low low quality option.

Reactions: 1 user

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Did I hear right that Darren Winter is the next ALP leader elect in Tasmania ? What ? You can’t be serious. That cheap shot, cowardly ahole of a footballer and all round bogan ? Far out.

I suppose with a football background he might be inclined to shift the TAS ALP’s stance on the stadium, I dunno. But regardless, geez what a low low quality option.

Nah, your failing eyesight has caught up with you again.

It's a "Dean" Winter running for ALP.

Interestingly Darren Winter did run for United Australia Party a few years back.

Been coaching North Shore in Geelong Leegue past few years. Total bogan.

Andy Goodwin used to belt him every time Clarence played Devonport back in the 90's.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv

Interestingly Darren Winter did run for United Australia Party a few years back.

Andy Goodwin used to belt him every time Clarence played Devonport back in the 90's.
I said hear not read you silly old fogey. You don’t hear with your eyes !

I’m pretty sure that doofus Andrew Gaze said Darren on the radio this afternoon. Maybe the United thing is where he got it from.

Phew. That’s a relief. He was a *smile* of a bloke Darren Winter. Right up there with your best mate Dale Whish-Wilson.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
I said hear not read you silly old fogey. You don’t hear with your eyes !

I’m pretty sure that doofus Andrew Gaze said Darren on the radio this afternoon. Maybe the United thing is where he got it from.

Phew. That’s a relief. He was a *smile* of a bloke Darren Winter. Right up there with your best mate Dale Whish-Wilson.

Ha! Whish! Just misunderstood lol.

Couple of olds videos here.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv

He was the king hit champion of football for a while. Strong competition from Ambrose MacDonald and a couple of others like Tractor Graham.

All of them cowards.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010

Dean Winter has not been selected as ALP leader yet as far as I understand it. There is a leadership contest to come.

Rumoured contenders are Dean Winter, from the right faction (AKA The People’s Front of Judea) and backed by former Premier Paul Lennon. Vs Josh Willie, favoured by the left faction (AKA The United Judean People’s Front).

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Dean Winter has not been selected as ALP leader yet as far as I understand it. There is a leadership contest to come.

Rumoured contenders are Dean Winter, from the right faction (AKA The People’s Front of Judea) and backed by former Premier Paul Lennon. Vs Josh Willie, favoured by the left faction (AKA The United Judean People’s Front).
Is Paul still battling away ? I knew him via work. Not a bad guy all up. Had the average persons best interests at heart. Ditto Jim Bacon who was Paul’s sort of mentor.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Is Paul still battling away ? I knew him via work. Not a bad guy all up. Had the average persons best interests at heart. Ditto Jim Bacon who was Paul’s sort of mentor.
Yeah, as far as I hear, he and a couple of his mates still pull the strings of the right faction. They had an all out war with David O’Byrne and (Union leader) Tim Jacobson of the left faction before and after the last election. Resulting in the end with David O’Byrne’s sacking from the ALP Parliamentary caucus. Think the Tasmanian ALP is still under supervision by the national body (basically a form of being under administration), such is the unease of the ceasefire.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Yeah, as far as I hear, he and a couple of his mates still pull the strings of the right faction. They had an all out war with David O’Byrne and (Union leader) Tim Jacobson of the left faction before and after the last election. Resulting in the end with David O’Byrne’s sacking from the ALP Parliamentary caucus. Think the Tasmanian ALP is still under supervision by the national body (basically a form of being under administration), such is the unease of the ceasefire.
Well, Paul could be pretty fiery.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010

Christ, who wins the contest for the better articulation of the English language? Dale Wish-Wilson of Jacqui Lambie?

Dale nearly makes Jacquie sound eloquent.

Last edited:
  • Haha

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Amazing effort by the Jackies today.

Captured the imagination of all Tasmanians.

Will be the prototype and template all over the world on how to build a new sporting club.

Final, Semi and now champions in first 3 seasons.

The mantra "Defend the Island" one of the great slogans in Australian sport.

This team follows some amazing cricket and Australian Rules teams to represent the state.

Get in!!!!

Reactions: 2 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Jim's wife Honey, Honey Bacon, got to be the best politicians wifes name ever.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Amazing effort by the Jackies today.

Captured the imagination of all Tasmanians.

Will be the prototype and template all over the world on how to build a new sporting club.

Final, Semi and now champions in first 3 seasons.

The mantra "Defend the Island" one of the great slogans in Australian sport.

This team follows some amazing cricket and Australian Rules teams to represent the state.

Get in!!!!
Aside from the State of Origin football teams of the late 80s-early 90s (which essentially just made one off cameo appearances), probably fair to say that the Jackies are the first sporting team to truly conquer the north-south divide and really engage, rally and mobilise the entire state successfully. Capturing the imagination and consciousness of all corners of the island and expats.

Last edited:

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
To give everyone a sense of what a farcical state Tasmanian football is in. Can only laugh at the circus going on with the restructure of regional leagues.

As a bit of background. The State League has been limping along for a number of years. Been a lot of noise to go back to a regional model of footy, as not many support a state league (not that many people watch local footy full stop anymore in Tasmania, mind). Has only coughed along propped up (only just) by the AFL.

So with the planned introduction of the Devils in the AFL and VFL. It has been decided to put all resources into that project and scrap the state league, going back to regional footy from next year.

As it was, the two north western clubs (Burnie and Devonport) had quit the state league and gone back to regional league footy a few years ago, so no representation from that region. They have dominated the NW league ever since. And one of the three Launceston clubs (South Launceston) were kicked out as reigning Premiers (bizarre) one year. So you were left with a league of seven - five from Hobart, two from Launceston.

The five Hobart clubs I think had mixed views about going back to regional footy, but didn’t seem overly hostile to it. Probably because they can go back to playing among themselves and grab one more club to join them in a six club premier division in the south.

The two Launceston clubs though (Launceston and North Launceston) were vehemently against a return to regional footy. They really have dominated the state league as it is. Were searching for extra competition. Thus going regional is even worse for them and they fear a huge talent drain to other state leagues (already happens).

The northern league (NTFA) were charged with the task of creating a pool of clubs to form a northern premier league for the specific purpose of absorbing Launceston and North Launceston into the regional set up. So they grabbed four clubs (some logically strong clubs, others dubious choices), to join with the two state league clubs. League launched with much fanfare. All four existing regional clubs there for the photoshoot. But conspicuously, no Launceston and North Launceston turned up to launch a league formed for the specific purpose of accomodating them.

Today, they both come out in the media saying they will not join this proposed northern premier league set up specifically for them. Get stuffed! You really can’t make this up. Benny Hill music. 😆

So as it currently stands, Tasmania’s two strongest clubs of the past decade haven’t got a league to play in next year.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
To give everyone a sense of what a farcical state Tasmanian football is in. Can only laugh at the circus going on with the restructure of regional leagues.

As a bit of background. The State League has been limping along for a number of years. Been a lot of noise to go back to a regional model of footy, as not many support a state league (not that many people watch local footy full stop anymore in Tasmania, mind). Has only coughed along propped up (only just) by the AFL.

So with the planned introduction of the Devils in the AFL and VFL. It has been decided to put all resources into that project and scrap the state league, going back to regional footy from next year.

As it was, the two north western clubs (Burnie and Devonport) had quit the state league and gone back to regional league footy a few years ago, so no representation from that region. They have dominated the NW league ever since. And one of the three Launceston clubs (South Launceston) were kicked out as reigning Premiers (bizarre) one year. So you were left with a league of seven - five from Hobart, two from Launceston.

The five Hobart clubs I think had mixed views about going back to regional footy, but didn’t seem overly hostile to it. Probably because they can go back to playing among themselves and grab one more club to join them in a six club premier division in the south.

The two Launceston clubs though (Launceston and North Launceston) were vehemently against a return to regional footy. They really have dominated the state league as it is. Were searching for extra competition. Thus going regional is even worse for them and they fear a huge talent drain to other state leagues (already happens).

The northern league (NTFA) were charged with the task of creating a pool of clubs to form a northern premier league for the specific purpose of absorbing Launceston and North Launceston into the regional set up. So they grabbed four clubs (some logically strong clubs, others dubious choices), to join with the two state league clubs. League launched with much fanfare. All four existing regional clubs there for the photoshoot. But conspicuously, no Launceston and North Launceston turned up to launch a league formed for the specific purpose of accomodating them.

Today, they both come out in the media saying they will not join this proposed northern premier league set up specifically for them. Get stuffed! You really can’t make this up. Benny Hill music. 😆

So as it currently stands, Tasmania’s two strongest clubs of the past decade haven’t got a league to play in next year.

they could play each other every week and see who gets to 12 wins first (assuming 22 round season). If it’s a tie then the next game winsmthe trophy.

Yes Tassie footy is on its knees - AFL being greedy and streaming every game live has killed regional footy..

Reactions: 1 users

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
they could play each other every week and see who gets to 12 wins first (assuming 22 round season). If it’s a tie then the next game winsmthe trophy.

Yes Tassie footy is on its knees - AFL being greedy and streaming every game live has killed regional footy..
Or….take a leaf out of the King Island book. They could ask South Launceston to join them in a three team competition. The bye team is the audience each week, hurling abuse at both sides. At least they would get someone through the turnstiles that way.

• Haha

Tazzytiger

Tiger Cub
Mar 1, 2008

Darren Winter coached my boy at Lauderdale in the State League. Horrible man. Treated the players like *smile*

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
i wonder how much of that $375 million (I'm sure it'll be more by the time it opens) the Tassie government is paying for the new stadium could have been used for grassroots sports? Or an upgrade to My State Bank Arena?