Tasmania | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tasmania

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
I'd rank it about as unusual as running two sets of wives and kids concurrently, that are oblivious to each other.
Believe that's been done on more than one occasion, and not just in countries where more than one wife is legal.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Believe that's been done on more than one occasion, and not just in countries where more than one wife is legal.

pretty normal in Byron Bay.

you have a misses with a Brazilian and blonde kids down the beach,

and a missus with a full muff and a dark fringe mullet, a few kids and a kelpie in the hills.

@spook recently came out as a thesbian, which is classic polygamist cover.

its either that, or a DJ.

I haven't seen any GC gear on his clothesline though

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Actually, if they're smart and can find the grounds, maybe they should have Gather (puke) Round in Hobart and Launceston the year before Tassie enter the AFL.

DS

they'll keep gather round and add some other contrived bullcrap round.

maybe a few ex-champs get make-up to simulate Tassie devil face cancer and inhale Helium and screech wildly to raise money for Cold Sore research?

it wont be long before we all get excited for 'normal week of footy' round.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Those closer to it..
What does yesterday's election result mean for the new stadium proposal?
Was there a result? Didn't pay much attention but some of the in depth analysis waffle I accidentally heard was that there'd be a hanging parliament in a few weeks when they managed to sort out who got what.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Hmm, 120,000 members. I know it is a cheap membership and they are just fund raising really, but time to re-think the stadium and get a capacity of 50,000.

DS
Hope not.
I like the idea of parking the car on the boundary fence. Flicking the lights and doing the horn for each goal.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Hung parliament always on the cards with the expanded lower house and proportional rep in the lower house.

Libs lost 12% of their primary vote but still the highest vote, with 36% I think. Labor got 1% of the votes the Libs lost, so on 29% of the vote. That's pretty remarkable, both majors put together have less than 60% of the vote.

Looking like a Lib minority government, no idea how that will work, they are going to be a fair way short of a majority so it will be interesting.

The AFL won't back down on their insistence on the stadium, so there is going to be some conflict. Also, some of the independents may support the stadium, even some of the Lambie candidates, so we'll have to see.

DS

Reactions: 1 user

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Hung parliament always on the cards with the expanded lower house and proportional rep in the lower house.

Libs lost 12% of their primary vote but still the highest vote, with 36% I think. Labor got 1% of the votes the Libs lost, so on 29% of the vote. That's pretty remarkable, both majors put together have less than 60% of the vote.

Looking like a Lib minority government, no idea how that will work, they are going to be a fair way short of a majority so it will be interesting.

The AFL won't back down on their insistence on the stadium, so there is going to be some conflict. Also, some of the independents may support the stadium, even some of the Lambie candidates, so we'll have to see.

DS

Labor has conceded defeat saying they won’t negotiate to try to form a minority government.

At first, I was scratching my head because I thought they were a legitimate chance of forming government. But the state of play looks like a dogs breakfast ATM. Who will the Liberals convince to support them in a minority government?

I now wonder if Rebecca White is using this as a strategy? If the cross bench can’t guarantee supply, there will have to be another election… and Labor would stand a better chance of winning when Tasmanian voters realise the new government can’t work together.

Standing right in the middle of this is the footy stadium. Its still very hard to see the greens, Lambie and independents working with the Liberals unless they backtrack on the stadium. Interesting times.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Labor has conceded defeat saying they won’t negotiate to try to form a minority government.

At first, I was scratching my head because I thought they were a legitimate chance of forming government. But the state of play looks like a dogs breakfast ATM. Who will the Liberals convince to support them in a minority government?

I now wonder if Rebecca White is using this as a strategy? If the cross bench can’t guarantee supply, there will have to be another election… and Labor would stand a better chance of winning when Tasmanian voters realise the new government can’t work together.

Standing right in the middle of this is the footy stadium. Its still very hard to see the greens, Lambie and independents working with the Liberals unless they backtrack on the stadium. Interesting times.
Agree. The Libs only hope of governing is with JLN support. The two independents are more ALP aligned (one previously formally and one more ideologically) so likely won’t support the Libs. And the Greens and Libs hate each other.

How would you characterise the JLN? Probably more socially conservative kind of populists, who are a bit left of centre economically regarding grass roots, bread and butter social service delivery. So they are very much running on an anti-stadium platform.

Perhaps the 150k bumper stickers sold at $10 a pop will come to nothing.

Last edited:

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Agree. The Libs only hope of governing is with JLN support. The two independents are more ALP aligned (one previously formally and one more ideologically) so likely won’t support the Libs. And the Greens and Libs hate each other.

Going by this, there are 4 seats undecided. So unless the Libs win 3 of the 4 undecided seats (and assuming you're right about the independents), then the Libs will need the greens.

1711416411849.png

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Going by this, there are 4 seats undecided. So unless the Libs win 3 of the 4 undecided seats (and assuming you're right about the independents), then the Libs will need the greens.

View attachment 22228
I actually worked at a polling station for the TEC. So have a bit of insight as to how my electorate looked with preferences (apparently a pretty bellwether booth too, for the electorate).

Plus been reading a bit of analysis from the UTAS pollster and Antony Green at ABC

I reckon the most likely outcome is:

Lib 15
ALP 10
Grn 5
JLN 3
Ind 2

That said there are two seats that could go down to the wire as a contest between 2-4 candidates of different colours, so some unpredictability there.

Using standard error.

Libs 14-16
ALP 10-11
Grn 5-6
JLN 2-3
Ind 2 (this one pretty definite)

Believe me, Greens will never govern with the Libs and the feeling is mutual. Both despise each other, never going to happen.

My prediction 15 Libs will govern with 3 JLN support (If the house turns out as above). What they have to give up for that support may well be the stadium.

But…..we will be back at the polls before the term is out. White has stepped down, so new leadership coming (Josh Willie of left faction vs Dean Winter of the right faction sponsored by former premier Paul Lennon).

ALP will ride the bounce in the polls of a fresh leader and force a rift in the fragile JLN support for the Lib minority govt and cause an early election. There’s my tip.

Last edited:

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I actually worked at a polling station for the TEC. So have a bit of insight as to how my electorate looked with preferences (apparently a pretty bellwether booth too, for the electorate).

Plus been reading a bit of analysis from the UTAS pollster and Antony Green at ABC

I reckon the most likely outcome is:

Lib 15
ALP 10
Grn 5
JLN 3
Ind 2

That said there are two seats that could go down to the wire as a contest between 2-4 candidates of different colours, so some unpredictability there.

dont you have Nationals down there?

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
dont you have Nationals down there?
Nope. Fair to say, demographically the NW Coast branches of Libs are ideologically more Nationals. As are those in the largely rural seat of Lyons and in the northeast rural region surrounding Launceston.

But with the absence of Nationals in Tasmania, it just goes into the ‘broad church’ mixed lolly bag of what becomes the Tasmanian Libs. Probably a reason why so much leakage to the JLN is the absence of the National Party. JLN vote quite strong in Lyons and NW seat of Braddon. Plus likely to pick up a seat in the Launceston dominated seat of Bass. That said a bit of blue collar ALP also goes to JLN. A mix of your traditional blue collar ALP and National type voter.

Last edited:

theglove3

Tiger Champion
Jun 3, 2003
Saw Jacqui Lambie speaking yesterday on ABC news.
She said there were far more pressing issues for Tasmanians.
Health and the Cost of Living crisis things that need to take priority.
Of course maybe she was just talking a good game for the cameras.
City Hall will prob get their way in the end.
They usually do.